Heads Up

jimbms

if I put my foot in my mouth and claim I've got a disease, around 1st August 2009, will the MGP be cancelled?

mind you, be difficult commuting with my foot in my mouth.

Maybe I should just stick to my tounge-in-cheek :P

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, on the island the TT and MGP are normal life. The ability to adapt your life to them is mone of the signs of acceptance of island life and make things interesting.

And I have no problem with that... I was trying to make the point that there should have been better communication between the organisers and the public over delayed road closures.

But, on the island the TT and MGP are normal life. The ability to adapt your life to them is mone of the signs of acceptance of island life and make things interesting.

And I have no problem with that... I was trying to make the point that there should have been better communication between the organisers and the public over delayed road closures.

Yes that is a good point, I know that the announcement always goes out straight away as to delays and start times on Manx Radio, they are the best source of up to date info. The problem is that not everyone can listen to the radio all day at work.

Perhaps a siren signal of some sort on the early warning system an hour before roads close and an all clear when they open or the closure is cancelled would be a foolproof communication method? That would be a unique feature in itself?

Or if the IOM was added to Northern Ireland the TT would become a mass start race, over and done with in less than a hour.

That might make it interesting. Or maybe a running start to the bikes with the option of a longer run if you want to pick up a weapon; a sword, can of WD40, Ben Hur wheel spikes - that sort of thing. Perhaps spectators could be encouraged to dress up as tribal warriors ala Indiana Jones and use catapults and blowpipes to put the riders off?

I can dream...

I just skimmed through this thread and to be honest the only thing of note was our resident narcissisisist doing the usual trick of trolling people he believes are less importance than himself, and massaging that healthy ego again. :rolleyes:

office bods were probably tucked up home safe in bed with only whether they're going to have to explain why they're late for a meaningless job to worry about), but it's all part of my infinetely more rewarding job, so what the hell!

For what it's worth Stuart, I rather enjoy my meaningless office job most of the time, but obviously it's not nearly as significant and world changing as saving blind orphans by skydiving whilst wrestling with flying alligators, or whatever you do that's so (self) important.

No offence. :P

I also clocked this post, but thought why bother, when has StuartT ever listened to anyone except himself.

So to jump on the bandwagon, I officially work 9 - 5.30, and could be considered an office worker (not shift work - as if that makes a difference to what sort of person you are) and enjoy my job thoroughly. I officially start at 9am but am in work for 8am everyday and often work through the night - what for? A common goal in our business, to succeed. As a company the more we succeed the more we benefit and its shared like that. I also have a passion for a sport that is completley weather dependant and if I want I can leave work at anytime to pursue that. The work just gets done when it needs to be. I get up every morning looking forward to work and that never changes, I wouldn't swap it for anything - except a euro millions win of course!

You missed the point somewhat, the fact is that most office staffs (who form the bulk of the 9 -5 workforce) inconvenience from the MGP + TT amounts to a less than one hour delay getting home from work (with the exception of those who live on the course, who knew where they were moving too before they bought their houses).

Whereas in other jobs people have a lot more to deal with due to the MGP + TT, and are getting away much later as a spin off, but they generally don't complain because it's all part and parcel of their job.

And I was speaking from personal experience having worked in the finance sector, and having moved to other sectors affected far more from the TT + MGP. If a slight delay getting home is the most of your worries, then you don't know sh1t and have nothing to complain about really.

As for narcassists who belive they are more important than anyone else, this whole forum is full of them. Some of them believe a slight inconvenience to themselves getting home is somehow more important than a whole culture, or life and death.

Last Wednesday I left work just after 6.10 and pulled out of the parking space on circular road at about 6.15 - went to Port Erin via the Sorting Office (got a very nice parcel) and walked through the door at about 6.50.

How did I manage this incredible feat through some of the worst traffic congestion which seems to have wound half the island up ? I was riding a motorbike.

I was paying attention as I was riding past the stationary traffic and I'd estimate that nearly 90% of vehicles had just a single occupant. I know a bike can't be used all the time (dropping off / picking people up etc) but if more people were on motorbikes then the traffic jams would be smaller and less frustrating for everyone.

I use less petrol, have less emissions, less stress in my life, easy to park and I can fit a weeks worth of shopping in my panniers.

If you drive into work and back home on your own think about getting a bike.

The problem may have come from motorbike racing but part of the solution can be more people on motorbikes.

You're making a lot of assumptions about people you don't know, Stuart. For a change.

Right then what is the the impact of the TT + MGP on the average member of Office Staff working in the finance sector (excluding anyone who happens to have family or close friends racing)??

OK maybe a slight delay in getting too and from home, perhaps a slight restriction on mobility in other areas (that is if many of them decide to go out instead of following their usual routine of sitting on their arses watching TV). Oh and most of them get an extra paid day off (or more than one).

Compared to:-

The Organisers

Marshals

Voluntary Services (eg Phil Hogg, St John, Red Cross)

Cubs, Scouts + Leaders on the Scoreboard

Fire Brigade

Ambulance Staff

Hospital Workers

Inflight + Airmed

Police

Coroner

Courts Staff

Counselling services + Bereavement Support Groups (et al)

Public Transport

Relatives + Close friends of the riders.

Now tell me that the finance sector workers are more affected by the TT than any other group. Like I say, Finance Sector workers don't know Sh1t.

Last Wednesday I left work just after 6.10 and pulled out of the parking space on circular road at about 6.15 - went to Port Erin via the Sorting Office (got a very nice parcel) and walked through the door at about 6.50.

How did I manage this incredible feat through some of the worst traffic congestion which seems to have wound half the island up ? I was riding a motorbike.

I was paying attention as I was riding past the stationary traffic and I'd estimate that nearly 90% of vehicles had just a single occupant. I know a bike can't be used all the time (dropping off / picking people up etc) but if more people were on motorbikes then the traffic jams would be smaller and less frustrating for everyone.

I use less petrol, have less emissions, less stress in my life, easy to park and I can fit a weeks worth of shopping in my panniers.

If you drive into work and back home on your own think about getting a bike.

The problem may have come from motorbike racing but part of the solution can be more people on motorbikes.

Here, here, it always makes me laugh when one person in a car whinges because they've had delays due to traffic, or an innability to park.

I would love to ride a bike but problems are, it rains...alot! and i dont fancy 2 wheels in the wet!

Also i dont want a car pulling out on me or coming onto my side of the road while im only protected by a helmet :(

Sorry but your idea isnt as simple as it first sounds.

I would love to ride a bike but problems are, it rains...alot! and i dont fancy 2 wheels in the wet!

Also i dont want a car pulling out on me or coming onto my side of the road while im only protected by a helmet :(

Sorry but your idea isnt as simple as it first sounds.

The solution - eliminate cars from the road. Until then ride assertively and visibly.

Rain - put some waterproofs on.

Given that we seem to be becoming the European capital of diesel spills, I'll take my chances on four wheels thanks! My Border Collie might be a bit safer too :lol:

P.S: Think we should hold floggings at Hango Hill for these hairy arsed cretins who leave their multicoloured trails across the island's roads. 'Twas only on the news today about such a slick miles long; there was a nice trail right down from the test centre (ironically) to QB the other night. A mate came off his bike at the QB and suffered a broken pelvis a few years ago because some clown didn't check his vehicle. :ban:

Like I say, Finance Sector workers don't know Sh1t.

What an utterly spastificated generalisation.

I presume that's relating specifically to the issue of MGP/traffic delays etc, or are you suggesting that every single person who works in the finance sector knows nothing about anything in general?

Either way, it's a cock of a thing to claim.

Archived