Heads Up

jimbms

Brucey, to my experience, is a shining example why the Isle of Man is simply inept at running itself as a modern society.

He'll get a huge pension and live the rest of his life, as with all his many colleagues in the Isle of Man Government Pensioned Off Early Club laughing at the lot of ya'

should he be even bothered to look in at us.

Most of the 9 - 5 (or should that be 10 - 4:30 and however many coffee breaks we can squeeze in, not to forget the more than 1 hour lunch breaks, and the 4 times hourly cigarette + Comfort breaks?) staff work for the government anyway, so they get paid for taking the p1ss anyway and have nothing to complain about (with a few exceptions in some of the non admin sections of the Govt).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget the TT and the MGP are really the majority of what pulls in the islands only tourism.

I'd still like to see some data some day that backs this myth up. You have to offset what the races cost to put on in terms of marketing costs, event insurance, policing, medical support, staffing, marshalling, all the road works required to keep the course up to scratch for the rest of the year, lost business hours, cost of delays to local businesses etc against what the tourists generate in revenue. I reacon the true cost to stage it every year must be at least £10m probably more - upkeep of the course on the DOT budget must be a few mill a year at least.

Spartacus is right its a pain in the arse and bad organisation makes it a bigger pain in the arse it should not be legal to close the roads between 5 and 6:30 on any working day.

oldmanxfella full of shit again... brings in loads of money, only it isn't just financial sector or building/repair works. There are a lot of us who depend on the tourism we've got and also those of us who love a bit of life brought in from our motorcycling events.

I've had businesses in the past and can promise you that events such as the TT & MGP keep a lot of us going! Such as hotels, B&Bs, shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, camp sites.;...So you sat for 30 mins in traffic - live with it.

I think the problems could have been far better managed e.g. as has been said, lots of cops out at various junctions etc. Once a copper sees the road he is reponsible for closed and handed over to the marshals, he is then free to go elsewhere until the road opens again. So if the roads were closed, to me the obvious question to ask is 'why weren't traffic lights switched off and many more of them out managing the traffic at those junctions?'.

It's been a real bad week weather wise, and unfortunately this led to many delays and problems on Wednesday, compounded by: a couple of accidents, poor driving skills and the clear lack of a traffic management plan. I think the organisers sometimes have a very difficult job balancing: keeping everyone happy, the weather, and keeping the riders safe. The last thing I'm sure anyone wants is a rider getting injured through a rushed or pressured decision.

I must say though, some of the comments on here make me laugh. Jams like this are an everyday occurance and occupational hazard for many in the UK e.g. getting in an out of Manchester and travelling 14 miles usually took me well over an hour each way. It's not like this stuff happens daily here is it?

If anything like wednesday is to be expected, there should certainly be a police vehicle blocking/stopping cars from crossing over the bridge and heading toward tesco,

I am just thankful that nobody took ill in the gridlock and died as a result of the emergency sevices not being able to reach them in time.

If anything like wednesday is to be expected, there should certainly be a police vehicle blocking/stopping cars from crossing over the bridge and heading toward tesco,

I am just thankful that nobody took ill in the gridlock and died as a result of the emergency sevices not being able to reach them in time.

Agreed, though fortunately there are never any serious fires, or medical emergencies involving residents, during road closures for TT & MGP. This is obviously down to the slick organisation of Govt and event organisers.

At last, someone talking sense - I knew there'd be someone somewhere.

So anyway - further announcement at 10am then, great - I look forward to it. You bet your bottom dollar that when the roads do close, you'll hear nothing more from the organisers about the progress of the races or when the roads are likely to open again. It'll be the two-fingered salute to the rest of us, again!

It says something about the piss poor official communications when I've consistently got the latest updates from here on this Forum all week as opposed to roadwatch, radio, mgp site etc.

A fucking shambles from start to finish.

It says something about the piss poor official communications when I've consistently got the latest updates from here on this Forum all week as opposed to roadwatch, radio, mgp site etc.

A fucking shambles from start to finish.

I thought it was pretty clear. MR said racing is off today and there will be an announcement tonight at 6pm. MR is used for the announcements.

How much clearer do you need it?

Good for you.

I don't give a flying fuck.

You might be inclined or indeed have nothing better to do than to listen to inane wittering till they decide to give the info. I'm not.

All week, I've got the info here FIRST

edit to add this is in reply to AT post NOT OGs

I made the mistake of popping down to Tescos after work, I wasn't aware that the MGP had been delayed, but as soon as I turned right down Bank Hill, I realised I had made a mistake, the traffic was so blocked in all directions I just accepted my fate and headed for Tesco anway, this was at 5pm, did my shopping came out at 5.20pm the cars were so backed up in Tesco car park that I couldn't even get out of my parking space.

2n8sg80.jpg

2r73pmb.jpg

iw6ao0.jpg

I walked around and sat in my car for two hours, eventually got out of Tesco at 7:15 and home at 7.30 I wasn't happy.

I support the TT and MGP but it shouldn't be allowed to impact the general public like it did on wednesday, they should have had the racing on thursday instead.

There were 1000's of cars all stuck around the place, a few cops directing traffic would have helped.

Archived