• Last Reply

Yes and look at the time that was put up - 29/08/2008 10:32:16

And the look at Ams post here - Today, 10:01 AM

I rest my case

Yes and look at the time that was put up - 29/08/2008 10:32:16

And the look at Ams post here - Today, 10:01 AM

I rest my case

...and your point is?

Is it rush hour? No. How many people are involved in the decision, and does it take time to disseminate the information? Yes lots, and yes it does takes some time.

What we should be looking at here is for a traffic management plan to be put in place, as it doesn't seem evident to me there is one. Two concurrent accidents on major routes out of Douglas could cause a similar problem and similar chaos.

The real enemy here is the weather. Personally I blame DJDan and his god, and think we should all write to him.

MR is used for the announcements.

How much clearer do you need it?

Well, as I've said in a previous post - they knew nothing about what was happening on Wednesday when I phoned in (just before 5pm), and it was the same at TT. I called the guy on air at RadioTT asking if he knew what was happening, and he didn't. His travel report on air clarified this, it went along the lines of "we don't know what's happening any more than you do, if we find out we'll let you know".

The organisers are quick to use the media to clear the roads and recruit marshalls - but when they're up and running they can't be arsed.

Anyway - GOOD NEWS today then, no racing.

...and your point is?

Is it rush hour? No. How many people are involved in the decision, and does it take time to disseminate the information? Yes lots, and yes it does takes some time.

Effective promulagation of information requires effective and rapid communications.

Most people have better things to do than walk around with a radio taped to their heads in case.

Once a decision has been made, consequential planning then needs to be implemented.

It clearly wasn't on Wednesday, Hannays excuse that the roads weren't capable of handling the traffic is just that, an excuse.

What the fuck will happen when there's a major genuine emergency?

Well, as I've said in a previous post - they knew nothing about what was happening on Wednesday when I phoned in (just before 5pm), and it was the same at TT. I called the guy on air at RadioTT asking if he knew what was happening, and he didn't. His travel report on air clarified this, it went along the lines of "we don't know what's happening any more than you do, if we find out we'll let you know".

The organisers are quick to use the media to clear the roads and recruit marshalls - but when they're up and running they can't be arsed.

Says it all.

Shambles.

And

...and your point is?

Read my original post

I saw it ( race info ) here first.

...and your point is?

Effective promulagation of information requires effective and rapid communications.

Most people have better things to do than walk around with a radio taped to their heads in case.

Once a decision has been made, consequential planning then needs to be implemented.

One hour! Oh well just add it to the 2 years you'll spend on the phone in a lifetime, and the two weeks during your life you'll be waiting for traffic lights to change - as well as the three hours you've spent mincing about it all.

What we should be looking at here is for a traffic management plan to be put in place, as it doesn't seem evident to me there is one. Two concurrent accidents on major routes out of Douglas could cause a similar problem and similar chaos.

Wonder why the new signpost corner layout can't stay open during the races? They use the old road now don't they? It'd take a lot of pressure off the Prom.

If QB is to be redone, it should be considered that it should be left half open for the races too, allowing access south and to the Access Road.

as well as the three hours you've spent mincing about it all.

Coming from you that's rich

Incidentally I make it about 1 1/2 hours.

Oi! Put your handbags down, the lot of you :)

I posted that from the grandstand, about 30 seconds after the announcement was made - no way that any media service could beat that, although I would expect info like that to be aired within minutes.

Maybe some sort of text service would be good as well - register your number and get sms notifications about racing/road closures and delays - can't be too hard to do.

Until then, you still have the united eyes and ears of MF - and if more people get to use their mobiles/blackberry to post updates, then it would be even quicker.

as well as the three hours you've spent mincing about it all.

Coming from you that's rich

Incidentally I make it about 1 1/2 hours.

The traffic was clear my way on Wednesday night, in fact much of it was averaging around 140mph. I didn't really have the time available to sign up for marshalling either, but I still did.

Anyhoo, tomorrow may be academic, the weather's looks crap and much similar to today, with the first sunny periods looking to be Monday. We'll just have to wait and see.

There's going to be an announcement at 4pm regarding road closure tonight at 6pm for 1 race. The bloke at the desk next to me who marshalls just got a message through. Looks like they lied to calm everyone down and then boom, too late for anyone to complain.

Just heard rumblings that they might now be closing the roads at 6pm for a race this evening - decision allegedly at 4pm....

Unbelievable!!!!!

On the one hand, they don't like the criticism about their complete inability to communicate to the Manx public, yet with the other they announce it's all been cancelled for the day and before they take their next breath they say it's going to be back on.

What about those of us with kids... I'd made arrangements for tonight, and then cancelled them about an hour a go as racing was supposedly cancelled but now find they're probably back on.

Selfish, arrogant and thoughtless!

Archived