Heads Up

jimbms

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A better idea would be to put all you anti-racing mincing minnies on a ship - and send it to Liverpool sink it for an artifical reef. The TT etc. has been going over a hundred years, you should have got used to it by now, especially the associated limitations of running it on a small island with variable weather.

'Ooooh! a whole hour wasted, whatever will I do?'. Go to England driving and half of you complainers would come back in a box.

Albert, I've nothing against the MGP as such, but this year there's definitely been a LOT of people moaning about it causing disruption to everyday life. I think the idea about piggybacking it onto the TT has merit and would certainly give it many more years to run, and a lot more acceptance from the public.

How receptive would people be to extending TT week by an day or two and racing the MGP races on those days and the non TT race days? All the pain in one go then.

Good idea. Have all the pomp and ceremony and still fit it into 2 weeks.

Seconded, great idea.

Gets my vote

Just been told by quite reliable source (hopefully) ROADS WILL BE CLOSING AT SIX

Yep, it's just been on Manx Radio, followed by the funniest thing I've today. They say that those people involved in the 6:45pm race need to get to their positions quickly, as they may get held up in traffic because the roads are closing!!! :D

Albert, I've nothing against the MGP as such, but this year there's definitely been a LOT of people moaning about it causing disruption to everyday life. I think the idea about piggybacking it onto the TT has merit and would certainly give it many more years to run, and a lot more acceptance from the public.

We've only heard today from the complainers, which is nothing but an, albeit justified, one-sided rant. Yes it was a chaotic situation on Wednesday, but that wasn't just 'the fault' of the MGP organisers, it was a combination of the weather, several open road accidents, oil on the track, and a poor response in dealing with the chaos from the establishment. None of these problems are insurmountable with a bit of thought and planning.

There would be many difficulties running the TT and MGP in the same fortnight. Totally different people with totally different abilities and speeds are involved, and both groups have to have sufficient practising to qualify (and not all can practice together). Throw in just a couple of days of crap weather and it would be an utter disaster.

Just been told by quite reliable source (hopefully) ROADS WILL BE CLOSING AT SIX

Yep, it's just been on Manx Radio, followed by the funniest thing I've today. They say that those people involved in the 6:45pm race need to get to their positions quickly, as they may get held up in traffic because the roads are closing!!! :D

What's so funny about getting 700 cars off the road earlier? Sounds quite helpful and sensible to me.

What's so funny about getting 700 cars off the road earlier? Sounds quite helpful and sensible to me.

It is a funny situation don't you think. The dreadful standards of organisation of this event have caused so much confusion today, that those involved in putting on the actual race on are possibly going to get into difficulty due to this shambollic situation. If the sensible stick was being used, then the race would have run as planned and everybody would have been in the right place; OR the race could be run tomorrow and everyone will be in the right place. BUT organisers have left it so much to the last minute, the people they need for the race may not be able to get to the right place.

It is a funny situation don't you think. The dreadful standards of organisation of this event have caused so much confusion today, that those involved in putting on the actual race on are possibly going to get into difficulty due to this shambollic situation. If the sensible stick was being used, then the race would have run as planned and everybody would have been in the right place; OR the race could be run tomorrow and everyone will be in the right place. BUT organisers have left it so much to the last minute, the people they need for the race may not be able to get to the right place.

To be fair, I don't think that they've got much choice about holding it tonight. If they were to move it to tomorrow I think they'd encounter a problem with the fact that a lot of the visitors who marshal have gone home.

It's the feckin WEATHER, which is just as unpredictable tomorrow. You know, that outside stuff that doesn't hang around offices or armchairs:

post-2251-1220023800_thumb.jpg

We've only heard today from the complainers, which is nothing but an, albeit justified, one-sided rant. Yes it was a chaotic situation on Wednesday, but that wasn't just 'the fault' of the MGP organisers, it was a combination of the weather, several open road accidents, oil on the track, and a poor response in dealing with the chaos from the establishment. None of these problems are insurmountable with a bit of thought and planning.

There would be many difficulties running the TT and MGP in the same fortnight. Totally different people with totally different abilities and speeds are involved, and both groups have to have sufficient practising to qualify (and not all can practice together). Throw in just a couple of days of crap weather and it would be an utter disaster.

TT "fortnight" (same length as an Olympic Games pretty much) consists of 4 solo races and 2 sidecar events. I reckon they have the time. If we had TT and MGP over the same 2 weeks I think it would enhance both events. Practising could perhaps be held during hours of 10.00am to 3.00pm (as well as evening practice) when everyone is at work so increasing the actual practice time that the riders get. Why don’t motorcycle event organisers move with the times instead of everyone having to fit in with their rigid schedule?

To be fair, I don't think that they've got much choice about holding it tonight. If they were to move it to tomorrow I think they'd encounter a problem with the fact that a lot of the visitors who marshal have gone home.

Perhaps those people should anticipate the unpredictable weather than, adjust their plans perhaps and get home later than planned...

TT "fortnight" (same length as an Olympic Games pretty much) consists of 4 solo races and 2 sidecar events. I reckon they have the time. If we had TT and MGP over the same 2 weeks I think it would enhance both events. Practising could perhaps be held during hours of 10.00am to 3.00pm (as well as evening practice) when everyone is at work so increasing the actual practice time that the riders get. Why don’t motorcycle event organisers move with the times instead of everyone having to fit in with their rigid schedule?

think albert already answered you question, its nowhere near as simple as you make it sound you need IRO 900 people marshalling to get even one practice lap done, so are marshalls supposed to spend from 10am till 10pm every evening for over a week stood at the side of the road?

both the TT and MGP have moved with the times and have reduced the amount of practice by scraping morning practice, removing thursday afternoon at the MGP, the southern 100 operate exactly as you have inferred as they have "only" 4.25 miles to cover they can run a timetable that includes schedules down to the minute and open roads at lunchtimes. the TT course is far bigger and more complex than most people actually realise, from a logistics point of view the way it works presently is nothing more than amazing, its just the scale of the task that makes it difficult to manage when the weather isnt on the organisers side.

The MGP is shit......FACT!!!

How many people are actualy here to watch it? Not that many at all.......fire Mr. Hannay for is shit work also and put me in charge.

If you want to race your stupid bike and watch it, you have to pay £1,000,000,000,000, so I can build new roads and my own Island and espcape all the chaos.

I couldn't give a shit if its been going for a 100 years, its a pile of bollocks!! Whats so enjoyable about seeing a bike whizz past you?

" Wow, he went fast..........and look at him....... "

Before anyone says it, no I'm not a come-over, I'm Manx born.

My parents love the TT/MGP, I was raised up with all that crap, as my Dad is a spanner monkey for people.

Its just a waste of time, now if they had naked women on roller-blades, handing out free beer that would interest me more.

Archived