Heads Up

jimbms

I have been a bike fan for decades, but the current chaos regarding road closures is rapidly alienating me.

This surely must be the FIRST time in the long history of the TT/MGP that the organisers have said that the roads will reman OPEN ALL DAY, and then later announce that the roads WILL CLOSE at 6pm!

At 10am today, they said that there would be NO racing today, and then 6 hours later they said ..well, when we said there WOULDN'T be any racing today, we really meant that there WOULD be racing today.

Surely they could have said at 10am, that the roads would remain open for the time being, and that there would be a further announcement at 4pm.

(and slightly off topic - What a pompous prig Brucey sounded in interview on MR this morn, and what a load of meaningless drivel he spouted!)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, the old "get used to it" argument - I wondered how long that take to surface...

It's the weather. Do you really think people would want to cause this chaos deliberately?

There's nothing wrong with the old 'get used to it' argument, it's the same as the old 'when in Rome' argument - you'd have sharia law in the UK by now if the same 'get used to it' argument wasn't used there sometimes.

WTF???

And now I hear the trumpet of the foghorn heralding no doubt the cancellation of the racing. A quick look out to sea at four o'clock would have seen that coming, and a tilt of the chin would have shown the grim and gray clouds above harboring the rain. Oops

And now I hear the trumpet of the foghorn heralding no doubt the cancellation of the racing. A quick look out to sea at four o'clock would have seen that coming, and a tilt of the chin would have shown the grim and gray clouds above harboring the rain. Oops

and the mountain webcams shows a worse picture than this morning, well if you are gonna fuck something up do it properly! could have gone at 1300 no problem!

TM been sent over the mountain to access the conditions, hope he had wets on!

I must say though, some of the comments on here make me laugh. Jams like this are an everyday occurance and occupational hazard for many in the UK e.g. getting in an out of Manchester and travelling 14 miles usually took me well over an hour each way. It's not like this stuff happens daily here is it?

We are not in the UK

Racing Tomorrow? Great news, I can now call my 85yr old relative to cancel the plans we had made for tomorrow as he lives right on the course and has been trapped in all bloody week. (Nothing serious to do, he wants to go and buy a birthday present for somebody and can't get out easy).

I guess that there will be 100's of folk who will have to change their plans tomorrow, Saturday AM is a very busy time on the road on the Island as all the mums and dads are doing the family stuff.

I swear this week's episode is a conspiracy to destroy the MGP - you watch, the powers that be will arrange some telephone vote like they had for the Flouride debate and before you know it, the whole event will be banned or reduced to a long weekend of racing. The hoards of tourists and carnival style atmosphere that we have enjoyed so much this week could be gone forever if we don't fight for this 100 year old event. Let us not stand back and watch the demise of such quality racing on the World's greatest road circuit that allows old age pensioners to race at breakneck speeds.

For me, it appears this whole thread and argument is all about one hour. One lousy hour..

The organisers normally close the roads up to 5pm for racing (usually finishing well before) or have practice sessions from 6pm. Now, this can still cause problems for folk but everyone knows where they stand and life, by and large, goes on.

Most people commute from work between 5 and 6pm - I appreciate many don't - but you simply cannot close the roads between these times, there's simply too much traffic. After a day in work, most folk want to get home, see their family/eat/get on with their life; I know it's only 2 or 3 times a year out of the year and it would be nice to eat out or go to the pub instead but for most this simply isn't practical.

I realise too that the situation is chicken feed compared to across but the point is that this whole situation is wholly avoidable. There was absolutely no reason why the MGP organisers could not have delayed the Junior race for one hour; the weather was set fair so there was no rush there - nor would there have been insufficient light. We do not appreciate being treated like mushrooms, especially when those reponsible for the whole mess show such crass attitudes.

I realise too that the situation is chicken feed compared to across but the point is that this whole situation is wholly avoidable. There was absolutely no reason why the MGP organisers could not have delayed the Junior race for one hour; the weather was set fair so there was no rush there - nor would there have been insufficient light. We do not appreciate being treated like mushrooms, especially when those reponsible for the whole mess show such crass attitudes.

That is true. There is a difference between rush hour traffic here in the UK, which is caused by general congestion of everyone trying to get home sometimes combined with roadworks or accidents.

However it must be frustrating on the island knowing the jam you are stuck in has been caused by the much changing of minds of whether a race is on or off.

Things aren't helped by the weather at times, but a definite decision of whether to run or cancel a race should be taken well before people expect to use the roads to get home from work.

It would be seem that the TT and MGP will be finished off by those who are supposed to be "organising" it rather than rising costs or dwindling visitor numbers. Can they continue to run events like this that are now causing resentment among the locals?

Archived