The Best Band....?

Jay

What is the best band / singer you've seen playing on the IOM?

I've seen quite a few "big name" acts over the years although not for quite some time.

I'm not sure if there is a venue over here now which could cater for the number of people who used to attend gigs at the Lido years ago, the Villa perhaps?

Can never understand why bands don't give the Island a bash,

Surely they could include it on the Northern gigs eg.Liverpool,Manchester.

Maddona and Guy Ritchie have been mooching about on the island recently,one things for sure you do turn out in numbers when there's a gig on...rumour has a few went to the Atomic Kitten bash.

Seems its ok for films but not for the music industry.

Well it is down to costs Marcus. The Government subsidies the film industry but not the music one (aside from in TT Week). So the costs of getting here are born by the bands or the promoters.

However, (because of the hard work of individuals like Trieskal, Shank and Misfit) there has been a definate upturn in the number of bands from away playing the Island in the last year - Hell Is For Hereos, The Damned (nearly), Deacon Blue, John Ottway, Joan Armaplatting off the top of my head.

One thing I have noticed is those at the lower level that come over - people like Zombina and the Skeletons, Four Day Hombre, Lisa Fitzgibbon, like playing here and return.

Can never understand why bands don't give the Island a bash,........

I can't either....quite a lot used to, not sure whether it's down to cost or lack of a suitable venue.

It's a pity really, I've been to some great gigs in the past, can't help getting the feeling that these days the music lovin' folk over here are being starved of class acts.

Well it is down to costs Marcus. The Government subsidies the film industry but not the music one (aside from in TT Week). So the costs of getting here are born by the bands or the promoters.

However, (because of the hard work of individuals like Trieskal, Shank and Misfit) there has been a definate upturn in the number of bands from away playing the Island in the last year - Hell Is For Hereos, The Damned (nearly), Deacon Blue, John Ottway, Joan Armaplatting off the top of my head.

One thing I have noticed is those at the lower level that come over - people like Zombina and the Skeletons, Four Day Hombre, Lisa Fitzgibbon, like playing here and return.

Its a pity really,its well known many 'bits' of films are recorded over there, but you don't really get much recognition..this Guy Ritchie film Revolver i think its called, don't think you'll get much of a mention.

Which to me is wrong, the Island should get a decent mention.

You got a decent gig now in the Villa yea?

I went to the old gaff was impressed, the new set up must be really good.

You could support many a good band, the Traf for example.

For the real 'Biggies' The Villa.

Real shame about The dammed..must have been a right bummer.

Hazel o Connor was good at the Lido years ago.

All the punk rockers started spitting at her and the band (was a punk thing spitting) One of the band threatened to walk off stage if people didn't stop spitting at them, guess what happened next, yep he was showered in goz but played on.

I was obviously not old enough to be in there but managed to get in. Infact most people that went to the lido and to gigs in Liverpool weren't old enough to get in but did. :)

Rolling Stones (twice)

Hollies

Kinks

Who

Searchers

Gerry and the Pacemakers

Billy J Kramer

Animals

Tornadoes

Status Quo

Dave Berry

Chuck Berry

Wayne Fontana

Procul Harum

Racing Cars

Ginger Baker (Air Force)

PJ Proby

Sandie Shaw

Chris Farlow

Long John Baldry

Yardbirds

Edit to add:

Hot Chocolate

Gary Glitter (things got worse as time went on)

loads more, too far in the dim past to remember...

All here .... anyone top those?

Archived