Great Business Opportunity

mollag

Given the sentiments expressed in "poor pubs", there seems to be a grand opportunity for someone to dive in and do it right.

God love em. H&B (read all brewery names) have never had any hope at non brewing ventures, chippies and builders for example, then there seems to be loads of lessons to be learned from their cock ups.

Lets see what the template for the perfect pub for the IOM would look like with inputs from all us geeniuses on the forum

Me first

A large mahogany vending machine like what the butler saw style, dispensing morning boat tickets :cool:

I pass the flame.

A decent music venue! Not The Traf (like a broom cupboard) not The Cornerhouse (rumoured to be closing and the service is dire) and not the bloody Villa (all the atmosphere of the moon, over zealous door staff, I could go on..)

Decent sized performing area with a nice P.A and a rehearsal room. A nice play area with a bouncy castle, a pool filled with those ball things and maybe some building blocks. Exclusively for use by the Isle of Man Planning Department.

Failing that, a combined internet cafe and scantily clad women - Laptop Dancing :blush:

A free pie with every pint.

Mmmmmmmmm Pies

*drools*

Godamn you, do you know how long it is since i had a decent pie? Well there were visitors on the prom then [Cannel's]

Side bar to post best pie place for my return in Oct.

No television

Good conversation

Real wood and a patterned carpet

Clean toilets

....and definitely the pies

but none of that 'calamari with lemon grass jus on a puree of rocket and Tuscan semolina' sort of stuff (not in a pub)

A pub like manshimajin describes, and where one could sit inside and have a pint and be able to smoke.

(without abuse from PC doo-gooders, threats of prosecution, or complaints from non-smokers going out of their way to go to a 'smoking pub' so as to be able to complain they are victims of secondary smoking and need laws to protect them).

OK - let's not go into smoking bans again, but just a nostalgic thought about a perfect pub...

Does anyone feel the need to return to the old male only public bar with ladies in the snug and couples in the lounge?

As to a name, i feel it should reflect the area and clientele, i mean The Wheatsheaf is so much better the The Corner House [nother wise H&B decision]

So how about "the Packet" situated where the Legion is, loads of brass and polished wood,with barmen/ladies dressed as stewards with oodles of memorabilia from the Islands lifeline? :cool:

Archived