[BBC News] Calls to harness natural energy

Newsbot

That seems pretty affordable. Can't work out from their site if it can be used in conjunction with an existing oil boiler. Might give them a call to find out.

You need a water tank basically. Most combi's wont work with this kind of system.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems pretty affordable. Can't work out from their site if it can be used in conjunction with an existing oil boiler. Might give them a call to find out.

You need a water tank basically. Most combi's wont work with this kind of system.

Surely they will if you feed the combi from a tank that has been pre-heated by the sun. If it is as efficient as they calim, most of the time the combi wouldn't have to switch on.

S

Surely they will if you feed the combi from a tank that has been pre-heated by the sun. If it is as efficient as they calim, most of the time the combi wouldn't have to switch on.

S

Nice one Sebrof you have hit the nail on the head, at last someone who understands energy systems, you can use it to heat water most of the time in the tank but when there is not sufficient energy to heat enough water the combi can kick in.

Nice one Sebrof you have hit the nail on the head, at last someone who understands energy systems, you can use it to heat water most of the time in the tank but when there is not sufficient energy to heat enough water the combi can kick in.

I'm not an expert, but not according to my plumber who installed the system, and a number of solar vendors at the energy expo, I asked them all. Some combi's are compatible and have a water store feed, but most aren't. There are solutions of course, you can apparently have a valve that will send the solar heated water to the combi if it's cool and directly to your heating system if it's hot.

Here's what it says on a solar panel website:

Is a solar water heating system compatible with a combination boiler?

Most combination boilers (combi) are designed to take in cold, not preheated water and are thus not compatible with a solar water heating system. There are a few combi’s on the market that will accept pre-heated water and you should check with the manufacturer whether this is the case if you have a combi, or are installing a new one and wish to have solar as well. It is advisable to get the manufacturer of the combination boiler to state in writing that the combi boiler in question will accept pre-heated water.

or

I am building my own house and would like a solar hot water system. Is there anything I should consider before the heating system is fitted?

Yes. If you are considering a solar hot water system you should think about what type of boiler you will require. System boilers heat-up a store of water (usually a cylinder) whereas combination (combi) boilers heat the water on demand and therefore a store is not required.

All solar water heating systems need to store the heated water. So if you do want a combi boiler you will need a store somewhere in the property, also the combi boiler will need to be solar compatible.

• 3 weeks later...
There's a full page advert in this month's PC Plus for this company - http://nohotwaterbills.co.uk/default.asp

In the advert they're advertising a discount for readers. Price is only £1,499.

Seems these guys should be avoided like a case of cock rot. Numerous reports on t'internet.

Archived