Coffin Dodgers " God Lov Em"

homarus

Driving to work the other day and as I negotiated the Q-B roundabout coming from Douglas towards Peel I looked up to Bray hill and observed no Traffic approaching!

Clear passage thought I! :rolleyes:

So I proceeded onto the Roundabout, getting there fractionally before an Old boy coming from the direction of Castletown ,no problem thinks I !

I have right of way :D Unfortunatley for me the Old boy had different ideas , crawling straight out onto the roundabout in front of me with his eyes fixed straight ahead and hands gripping the wheel like death, he grimly proceeded at about 5mph completly cutting across me and taking the shortest route into Douglas ,

Luckily I was not moving very quickly and managed to slam my brakes on.

I should be annoyed but it was F**king funny! reminding me as it did of a previous thread on this forum paying homage to Roly Drower, as he waxed lyrical about some fictional old boy causing a traffic holdup at the very same roundabout.

I came up behind another one tonight as he travelled at a nice steady 27mph , smack in the middle of the road ambling towards laxey without a care in the world , at first I thought the car was driving itself as I could not see anybody in the driving seat ,but that was before I before I espyed the top of a head just protruding above the headrest.

My question is this ! Would it be a good idea to introduce compulsory road tests for people once they reach the age of sixty ? as obviously with age ,our reflexes and decision making are bound to deteriorate!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I proceeded onto the Roundabout, getting there fractionally before an Old boy coming from the direction of Castletown ,no problem thinks I !

I have right of way

From what I remember from my time spent in traffic management related jobs - you don't actually have 'right of way'.

What you do have is 'priority'.

Subtle difference - but an important one.

I have right of way

From what I remember from my time spent in traffic management related jobs - you don't actually have 'right of way'.

Driving to work the other day and as I negotiated the Q-B roundabout coming from Douglas towards Peel I looked up to Bray hill and observed no Traffic approaching!

Clear passage thought I! :rolleyes:

I have right of way :D Unfortunatley for me the Old boy had different ideas , crawling straight out onto the roundabout in front of me with his eyes fixed straight ahead and hands gripping the wheel like death, he grimly proceeded at about 5mph completly cutting across me and taking the shortest route into Douglas ,

Luckily I was not moving very quickly and managed to slam my brakes on.

I should be annoyed but it was F**king funny! reminding me as it did of a previous thread on this forum paying homage to Roly Drower, as he waxed lyrical about some fictional old boy causing a traffic holdup at the very same roundabout.

I came up behind another one tonight as he travelled at a nice steady 27mph , smack in the middle of the road ambling towards laxey without a care in the world , at first I thought the car was driving itself as I could not see anybody in the driving seat ,but that was before I before I espyed the top of a head just protruding above the headrest.

My question is this ! Would it be a good idea to introduce compulsory road tests for people once they reach the age of sixty ? as obviously with age ,our reflexes and decision making are bound to deteriorate!

Driving down Victoria Street today some clueless old bag coming out of M & S carpark pulled out in front of me at the excuse for a roundabout that has been put there. I beeped my horn to warn her I was there - such was her general state of cluelessness (she nearly hit me) but the old bag steered for me and gave me the "V's". Miserable old cow. I was actually trying to warn you to wake up and not take the side out of my car you silly old cow. They should be banned dozy old twats.

I was stuck behind some old dear on the way into Ballasalla from Colby. She did 42mph the whole way including through the 30mph zone until she parked (I use the term loosely) on the roundabout outside the little shop/PO. Sometimes I think they just point the car vaguely in the direction they want to go and hope for the best.

The main reason a lot of old drivers drive slowly ,is they don't want to spill the water out of the vase of flowers they are taking to the cemetery,to place on the grave of a boy racer,who through his inexperience of driving a car at speed,lost control and unfortunately went straight into a roadside tree, so maybe it is the young who need more testing before they kill them selves through their lack of driving knowledge

The main reason a lot of old drivers drive slowly ,is they don't want to spill the water out of the vase of flowers they are taking to the cemetery,to place on the grave of a boy racer,who through his inexperience of driving a car at speed,lost control and unfortunately went straight into a roadside tree, so maybe it is the young who need more testing before they kill them selves through their lack of driving knowledge

Hurray third time lucky! Pity it wasn't worth waiting for.

The main reason? Really?!?

This thread has excelled in the blanket statement stakes already.

Carry on...

P.S. Roundabout at M&S...eh? How long have I been away!!

Ah that explains it! probably a lot of the accidents that have occured there over the years have been because people havn't really got right of way just 'priority' .

Driving down Victoria Street today some clueless old bag coming out of M & S carpark pulled out in front of me at the excuse for a roundabout that has been put there. I beeped my horn to warn her I was there - such was her general state of cluelessness (she nearly hit me) but the old bag steered for me and gave me the "V's". Miserable old cow. I was actually trying to warn you to wake up and not take the side out of my car you silly old cow. They should be banned dozy old twats.

Is there a roundabout there? I thought it was a lane directly feeding into Victoria Street. Coming down from Prospect Hill you stay in the right hand lane - the left feeds into the M&S carpark and cars exiting M&S exit into the same left hand lane. I don't think it is a roundabout. Great idea in concept but, of course, parking buggers the whole thing up.

Archived