Coffin Dodgers " God Lov Em"

homarus

Also about the suburu, is it his fault he can drive a nice car? did he swear or ram you off the road? no! leave him be! (It's called company/mechanics insurance)

It is well documented that inexperienced drivers to tend to have more accidents than experienced drivers.

Buying a Subaru is perfectly legal for an R plater, but should something go wrong this car would be a handful for experienced drivers to control, never mind one that has not long passed their test. And do people usually buy Subarus to pootle about town at 30mph? ;)

It is the guys (or his parents) own money, just doesn't seem the wisest choice for the first year of motoring!

Also glad to see you didn't go down the route of buying a Saxo :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then again why would an experienced driver buy a suburu? not to go around at 30 mph either ;)

Plus people buy nice cars to show off, nothing wrong with that! :)

I didn't get a saxo cause I knew probability was I was going to crash which I did twice, and TBH sitting in a paper bag gives more protection than a saxo! xD

Then again why would an experienced driver buy a suburu? not to go around at 30 mph either ;)

Plus people buy nice cars to show off, nothing wrong with that! :)

I didn't get a saxo cause I knew probability was I was going to crash which I did twice, and TBH sitting in a paper bag gives more protection than a saxo! xD

True, but surely you realise an inexperienced driver statistically has more accidents that someone more experienced? You've admitted you have had 2 crashes in a relatively lower powered car.

If you've just passed your test in something like a Micra, then jump into a Subaru, any accident you have due to loss of control could be greatly magnified by not having the experience to get out of trouble at speed, or recognise potential hazards, whereas someone who has driven for a number of years may recognise the signs of danger earlier.

I love these Google interractive ad links. Somehow at the bottom of this thread is an advert for doggy seatbelts

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cag...CFQuJ1QodgiIFRA

Brilliant.

Yeah my sisters dog has one of these seatbelts. When he is wandering about with the harness bit on, he looks as if he is going freefall parachute jumping! :lol:

17, full of indignation, newly qualified and ALREADY with two accidents, and driving with the assumption that 'everybody does 36 in a 30 so it's OK'.

And a brand-new car ('Swift 08') capable of over 100mph to crash - good luck (seriously) on getting to 25 intact and not adding to the statistics, as at the moment you're only confirming my prejudices about young chaps with too much money, too much horsepower, too much attitude and too little experience.

One thing you really SHOULD do Steve (if you haven't already) is take your car up to a Jurby trackday - you don't HAVE to go flat out and wear your car out, but you'll learn a huge amount about car control in relative safety and with lots of run off areas if it all goes a bit Pete (I'm SO down with the kids).

I killed my first car (and nearly myself) less than a year after passing my test. Only being able to afford 3rd party insurance and not having parents who would put their hands in their pockets for a replacement car taught me a lesson. I had no car until I could afford to save up and buy a replacement, I was going to be a lot more careful with the next!

Nearly new cars on finance and fully comp insurance have taught today's young drivers that it doesn't matter if you crash the insurance company will sort out your mess for you.

A 38 tonne articulated truck driven by someone who may have a history of mental illness or fits of some sort, unable to tie his shoes up without sitting down and incapable of holding a cup of tea without spilling it, it horrifies me when I think of the possibilities.

They're no so clever across. They have a prime minister with the qualities you mention.

S

Took you long enough to come up with that one. The only juggernaut he's thinks he's in charge of would not do much damage to a bus queue.

(I wasn't defending the authorities across either, just using them as an example)

A 38 tonne articulated truck driven by someone who may have a history of mental illness or fits of some sort, unable to tie his shoes up without sitting down and incapable of holding a cup of tea without spilling it, it horrifies me when I think of the possibilities.

Through my work, I deal with alot of long distance truck drivers. You tend to find if they have had a health problem that could affect their work, their licences are temporarily revoked fairly quickly. In the unlikely event of the driver not being responsible or professional enough to report any serious health problems, his doctor can report him to the DVLC, as can his employer. His employer could also suspend him if they thought he was unfit to drive for them. (Although I haven't heard of this extreme option happening).

After a health scare, heart attack or whatever they have to prove they are fit to drive before they can get their HGV licence back. We had a driver that took ill abroad. He had the sense to stop when he felt ill and call the office. He had suffered a serious heartattack which almost killed him and he spent weeks in a European hospital due to health complications. His licence was revoked, and he never got it back. And because this driver was already over 60, he was going through annual medical checks as a condition of his licence.

I was speaking to an HGV driver recently who says there are plans to bring in new rules soon. This would involve existing drivers (no matter what age) getting a full assessment every 5 years. This would include medical and driving assessments. There is also a qualification called a CPC. To run a transport company in the UK, the owner or manager of the company must have this qualification. Under the new rules drivers would also have to sit a version of this. The CPC covers all aspects of everything you should need to know about all laws and regulations about running a freight company, plus technical know how of the trucks you are running, weight limits etc.

I am not disputing that there are some truck drivers out there that you wonder how they managed to pass their test, but on the whole I have found most to be a professional bunch. When the new laws get brought in hopefully that situation will change for the better.

Through my work, I deal with alot of long distance truck drivers. You tend to find if they have had a health problem that could affect their work, their licences are temporarily revoked fairly quickly. In the unlikely event of the driver not being responsible or professional enough to report any serious health problems, his doctor can report him to the DVLC, as can his employer. His employer could also suspend him if they thought he was unfit to drive for them. (Although I haven't heard of this extreme option happening).

After a health scare, heart attack or whatever they have to prove they are fit to drive before they can get their HGV licence back. We had a driver that took ill abroad. He had the sense to stop when he felt ill and call the office. He had suffered a serious heartattack which almost killed him and he spent weeks in a European hospital due to health complications. His licence was revoked, and he never got it back. And because this driver was already over 60, he was going through annual medical checks as a condition of his licence.

I was speaking to an HGV driver recently who says there are plans to bring in new rules soon. This would involve existing drivers (no matter what age) getting a full assessment every 5 years. This would include medical and driving assessments. There is also a qualification called a CPC. To run a transport company in the UK, the owner or manager of the company must have this qualification. Under the new rules drivers would also have to sit a version of this. The CPC covers all aspects of everything you should need to know about all laws and regulations about running a freight company, plus technical know how of the trucks you are running, weight limits etc.

I am not disputing that there are some truck drivers out there that you wonder how they managed to pass their test, but on the whole I have found most to be a professional bunch. When the new laws get brought in hopefully that situation will change for the better.

I assume you realise I was reiterating the possible situation as it is on the island. Here, none of those checks are in place or even suggesterd. I hold a CPC in management myself but these are also worthless on the rock. Make of that what you will.

I assume you realise I was reiterating the possible situation as it is on the island. Here, none of those checks are in place or even suggesterd. I hold a CPC in management myself but these are also worthless on the rock. Make of that what you will.

Do you think the island may adopt this idea once it is widespread elsewhere? And I assume that you would welcome similar proposals.

So I presume when someone gets an heavy goods licence on the island, it's just like getting a car licence from the respect that you don't need to go through any medicals until you're about 70? You're right, that is scary!

Archived