Price Of Bread Up Again!

BPs

This is no joke. A large Ramsey Bakery sliced loaf before Sept 1st was £1.29. Now it is £1.36.

Perhaps the OFT under Mr Henderson MHK should be looking at the books of Ramsey Bakery and see where the justification is for what I consider the most expensive bread in Britain.

When Tesco opened on the IOM the Manx Government made certain restrictions on them about bread, to save the local farmers and the flour mill jobs etc.

I think the time is right for a free market and all restrictions be removed so that low income groups can have access to cheaper bread.

Our subsidised local farmers and subsidised flour mill will just have to accept it for the greater good.

Went to a chain store serving the electrical buying public while I was across, my daughter picked out a bag for her laptop at £32.99. At the till the guy asked for £49.99. When corrected and shown the label on the shelf he insisted on the new price and said the label should have been changed to the new price that day. I asked why the price had increased overnight by £17, "start of the new term next week." was his curt reply. The case remains at the store.

Ramsey Bakery has a lot to learn about price hiking.

Nowt wrong with Ramsey Bakery bread, not many bakeries are up to the task of supplying bread that's stale on the day it's birthed from the oven. Not saying it's hard but I wouldn't feed it to ducks or swans, you could be accused of bricking them.

Nowt wrong with Ramsey Bakery bread, not many bakeries are up to the task of supplying bread that's stale on the day it's birthed from the oven. Not saying it's hard but I wouldn't feed it to ducks or swans, you could be accused of bricking them.

Na, they do some bloody awful bread. High fat stodgy tasteless crap. I hate the way the labels differ too, one wholemeal product says it has hydrogenated fats, another doesn't mention it. Do you think they have two wholemeal recipes, or is one lable wrong?

When I challenged them on this, the reply was that there's no label regs on the IOM, and they could put what they liked on there. Great...

What I can't understand is how come I buy warburtons bread which IMO tastes better than Ramsey crap it costs less yet it is made off island and shipped over, shouldn't local made bread with lest transportation costs be less.

What I can't understand is how come I buy warburtons bread which IMO tastes better than Ramsey crap it costs less yet it is made off island and shipped over, shouldn't local made bread with lest transportation costs be less.

Economies of scale I imagine.

This is no joke. A large Ramsey Bakery sliced loaf before Sept 1st was £1.29. Now it is £1.36.

Perhaps the OFT under Mr Henderson MHK should be looking at the books of Ramsey Bakery and see where the justification is for what I consider the most expensive bread in Britain.

When Tesco opened on the IOM the Manx Government made certain restrictions on them about bread, to save the local farmers and the flour mill jobs etc.

I think the time is right for a free market and all restrictions be removed so that low income groups can have access to cheaper bread.

Our subsidised local farmers and subsidised flour mill will just have to accept it for the greater good.

If Ramsey Bakery is not publicly owned, then why should the OFT get involved? If you dont want to buy Manx and pay more for it then by the Tesco's alternative brands.

Surely it is a free market, if another baker wanted to start up on the island then they can do.

Local politicians have made mistakes with other sectors (recently Manx Gas) costing the tax payer money on OFT reports which are worthless as they relate to private company's. Money which could have gone to support people on low incomes.

Private run company's have to make profits to ensure that they continue trading.

Archived