Price Of Bread Up Again!

BPs

And not very good IMO. How do you survive on the Island without decent bread? A little woman who comes in and makes it for you?

Long years ago there were good small bakeries all over the Island.

People have no taste, and prefer convenience over quality sadly. There's a few good examples around still, you've just got to make a bit of an effort to find them.

There's always the Tesco own range - around half the price of the Ramsey stuff.

And not very good IMO. How do you survive on the Island without decent bread? A little woman who comes in and makes it for you?

Long years ago there were good small bakeries all over the Island.

granary_01.jpg

People have no taste, and prefer convenience over quality sadly. There's a few good examples around still, you've just got to make a bit of an effort to find them.

Where then? There's nowt 'up North' as far as I can see (or smell or ...).

Michael st Peel ? or is this not North enough

Nope - no way near enough - I just about remember buying scones from a bakery in South Ramsey when I were a youngster, then they pulled it down :-(

Where then? There's nowt 'up North' as far as I can see (or smell or ...).

Some in store baked stuff is good, Co-op in store for example is fine but it sells out pretty fast so you have to be quick. The m&s in store baked stuff is also good, goes stale in the right time frame too so you know it's not loaded with fat. There's a couple of people who sell bread at the various farmers markets, but it's not cheap.

None of the in store stuff is truly fresh. . .fresh from the deep freeze after being shipped over and bunged in another freezer and then bunged in an oven then into bags. Don't be under the impression that there's a hoard of happy, ruddy faced rotund women whistling and kneading dough at 4am every morning in the back of Shoprite or M & S. But true, nice than the bricks that Ramsey Bakery poo out.

None of the in store stuff is truly fresh. . .fresh from the deep freeze after being shipped over and bunged in another freezer and then bunged in an oven then into bags. Don't be under the impression that there's a hoard of happy, ruddy faced rotund women whistling and kneading dough at 4am every morning in the back of Shoprite or M & S. But true, nice than the bricks that Ramsey Bakery poo out.

I thought when Shoprite took over the Chester St store that they inherited the bakery from Safeway and made it from scratch on the premises? Still frozen part baked stuff that's finished in store is nicer than Ramsey bakery's occasionally delivered to the supermarket frozen shite.

Dunno if it is still the case but in the past all M+S bread was Ramsey Bakery 'bread' in a different wrapper.

The Tesco loaves are nice though, even if the come from part baked frozen dough they are still better than most other stuff.

PS the bakery in Peel is Muffins, I was in there last week and they still have all the lovely, freshly made cakes that I used to stuff my face with when I was at school

Yeah, I know it's not perfect, but as you say better than some.

Dunno if it is still the case but in the past all M+S bread was Ramsey Bakery 'bread' in a different wrapper.

Not talking about the wrapped stuff, I mean the freshbake. It's definately not RB bread as you can see it coming out of the oven.

After a couple of weeks in France - with small boulangeries baking their own selections of wonderful breads - coming back to our own overpriced and virtually tasteless rubbish is hard to understand.

Culture - the Island (and most of the UK) is void of culinary culture. The Island's general standard for decent food is school dinners - as long as the quality is roughly the same and the portions are bigger then it's good. I think the beer's crap as well - but it's easy to lose the taste for luke-warm gunk.

Post-Edit: nips into phone box and dons asbestos undies

and you prob find that tyhe price is going to go up again in the near months, if this weather carrys on the way it is,

milling wheat that has been cut is not makeing the grade and a lot that is still standing might never be cut if it dont stop raining,

Archived