10th September 2008

When Skies Are Grey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flicking through some obscure channels the other day and came across an expert who actually made sense. He was a quantum physicist and was giving a lecture on string theory. I missed most of the programme but even only catching the last 30 minutes I now understand (as much as a layman can) string and super-string theory. Where were teachers like this when I was at school?

Re: Cern - I thought I was the only one concerned about this but if this guy is saying - ""The LHC is a discovery machine. We don't know what we'll find," said Abraham Seiden, professor of physics and director of the Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics (SCIPP) at the University of California, Santa Cruz." - then fook knows what'll happen. I wonder if the Chinese monks who discovered gunpowder all those centuries ago had a similar thought... "Let's throw this stuff on the fire and see what happens"

The Large Hadron Collider is going to fire up on the 10th September...dark matter and black holes abound...tick tick Boom

Has anyone read Hyperion? What date was 'The Great Mistake'? :)

2038 - be nice to see the Shrike out and about.

LHC gets the switch flicked on the 10th of September and there is a Manx Civil Defence meeting on the 10th of September, coincidence? Is there something afoot we don't know about??? are provisions being made for the end of the world, I think I will go stock pile Pot Noodles and tin-foil for home made armour.

All too convenient that it falls exactly 53years on the anniversary of Mike the Headless Chicken.

September 10th 1945: A chicken by the name of Mike was beheaded but lived for a further 18months.

I wonder if the Chinese monks who discovered gunpowder all those centuries ago had a similar thought... "Let's throw this stuff on the fire and see what happens"

What they thought a millisecond later might depend on how much they threw on the fire and how close they were sitting to it.

10/09/08

10, 9, 8...

I reckon the world will end about a week later.

or at 06:05:04 - and a bit - ok .3210 seconds.

So no point setting the alarm clock then!

Edit: Oh crap - that should be 07:06:05.4321

At least we get another hour and a bit in bed!

My theory, is that soon as it is switched on, anyone in a 2Km radius is going to be sucked into the 8th dimension. Worse than that, other creatures from the 8th dimension will be sucked into our universe.

Anything is possible in the 8th dimension, so I plan on hiding behind the settee, at least for the afternoon, just in case.

Archived