Tv Problems

Lee54

Anyone been having problems with the TV reception this week. We have had a problem with bad reception and a sky HD box breakdown. Sky engineers called today to sort the problem out and have told me that I can only use sky at the moment in our area as Digital reception is very strong where We are and that the switch over will be brought on early here.

problem we have is we can not receive terrestrial stations at the moment, and the only answer is to have an outside digital Ariel fitted, which we are now doing and when I booked the fitter today he was saying he expects to be fully booked out shortly when viewers realise what the problem is.

Post code reception checker found here. http://www.astra2d.com/digital-switch.htm

I did hear the theory that the analogue transmissions would be gradually reduced in power and the digital increased to 'persuade' viewers that digital would be SO much better than the awful analogue reception, depending where you are it may just be weather conditions which have increased the off-Island digital signal which is degrading your local signal, or it may just be a new digital station which has come on air, could even be local interference from someone else's equipment putting patterns on yours, or even your own digibox causing the problem either by the modulator output channel or signal overload problems.

It's hard to diagnose things like this without seeing them, you have to isolate things to tell where the problem lies, have you tried your normal aerial straight into the tv to see if that is ok or not, that would be my first step, then add bits into the system after that.

The engineer from Sky has been changed the HD box, re checked the installation and said it's definitely digital reception that's causing the problem. Spoke to neighbours tonight and they have had same probs. Also had the Ariel engineer here to night and has confirmed its digital interference. They have been busy down at some of the Hotels on Douglas prom today who have the same fault, it all depends on what area your in.

What the Sky engineer has told you sounds like a load of old flannel to me.

A Sky Digital signal is completely different to a terrestrial digital/analogue signal. The fact that one needs a satellite dish which points up to the stars and the other needs an aerial pointing at a local transmitter on land is a basic example of how different they are. Completely different (and licensed frequencies) too.

Bad weather can and does affect a Sky signal which is most likely to be your Sky problem lately. If your terrestrial signal isn't working then that's probably due to the upgrade work that may be going on at the moment as it was postponed at the weekend due to bad weather.

Oh.. and there's no such thing as a digital aerial that they 'need' to fit for you. They're all the same.

What the Sky engineer has told you sounds like a load of old flannel to me.

A Sky Digital signal is completely different to a terrestrial digital/analogue signal. The fact that one needs a satellite dish which points up to the stars and the other needs an aerial pointing at a local transmitter on land is a basic example of how different they are. Completely different (and licensed frequencies) too.

Bad weather can and does affect a Sky signal which is most likely to be your Sky problem lately. If your terrestrial signal isn't working then that's probably due to the upgrade work that may be going on at the moment as it was postponed at the weekend due to bad weather.

Oh.. and there's no such thing as a digital aerial that they 'need' to fit for you. They're all the same.

We have nothing wrong with our sky it was just a faulty box which has been changed and sky is fine now, but we can not get a terrestrial signal on other TVs in the house and this is down to digital, we have to upgrade our ariel. How many have loft ariels fitted, these are the ones that may be no good when digital is switched on so you to may have to upgrade.

Information about this in the link I posted earlier.

A digital compatible wideband aerial upgrade is needed in many UK regions in order to receive Freeview digital terrestrial television, where the DTT multiplexes are transmitted in a different UHF aerial group to the existing analogue TV service and incompatible aerials are in widespread use. A wideband aerial upgrade provides access to both analogue and digital TV services

more advice here

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/freeview_digital_tv.htm

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...vwtv_aerial_upg

Just to add we have had 3 sky+ boxes in as many weeks due to it keep losing signal the sky bloke also installed a complete new dish with lnb and new cables and its still doing the same, sky wont admit it but with a lot here now having the same problems I strongly suspect something local is causing this

Edited to add this only happens during the day time as we see by the programs we try to record it shows up as signal loss or power cut, strange that it only occurs during times they could be working on the digital stuff

Just to add we have had 3 sky+ boxes in as many weeks due to it keep losing signal the sky bloke also installed a complete new dish with lnb and new cables and its still doing the same, sky wont admit it but with a lot here now having the same problems I strongly suspect something local is causing this

Was I talking to you about this in Onchan today,

Nope sorry although I live in Onchan been at work in Douglas all day, but please tell me you are having the same problems

just to add that you could be getting interference from mobile phone transmitters if you are near to one (or the aerial is pointing towards it), the frequency is not too far off the tv signals and your equipment may be being overloaded by it or not selective enough to reject the offending signal.

Your reference to the hotels on the prom would rule out a height aspect of receiving strong mainland signals, and also would imply an amplified system to feed around the hotel. I would still tend to suspect overload of an amplifier somewhere affecting things, you don't say if you have tried the aerial direct to just one tv to rule out everything else.

a lot of people around seem to have read a couple of catalogues and think they know all about it and waffle when they aren't sure, the downfall will be when they do what they advise and it makes no difference !

do you receive your signals from Carnane (aerial vertical) or Winter Hill (aerial horizontal pointed out to sea) ?

The other route is to contact OFCOM with an 'interference to tv reception' complaint and they can investigate and advise a cure, it may only need a simple filter in the system to cure it but if you are not receiving the local transmitter they may say you are trying to receive outside the service area and advise you use Carnane.

Nope sorry although I live in Onchan been at work in Douglas all day, but please tell me you are having the same problems

Outside paper shop in Onchan tea time bloke was telling me the same story. And yes we are having the same problems and so our my neighbors

just to add that you could be getting interference from mobile phone transmitters if you are near to one (or the aerial is pointing towards it), the frequency is not too far off the tv signals and your equipment may be being overloaded by it or not selective enough to reject the offending signal.

Your reference to the hotels on the prom would rule out a height aspect of receiving strong mainland signals, and also would imply an amplified system to feed around the hotel. I would still tend to suspect overload of an amplifier somewhere affecting things, you don't say if you have tried the aerial direct to just one tv to rule out everything else.

a lot of people around seem to have read a couple of catalogues and think they know all about it and waffle when they aren't sure, the downfall will be when they do what they advise and it makes no difference !

The other route is to contact OFCOM with an 'interference to tv reception' complaint and they can investigate and advise a cure, it may only need a simple filter in the system to cure it.

Just tried that and its still the same on bbc,itv and 4 heavy black lines in the picture, I also trust the engineer I use, may I add its only just started over the past week never had any probs before. No mobile masts near

The other route is to contact OFCOM with an 'interference to tv reception' complaint and they can investigate and advise a cure, it may only need a simple filter in the system to cure it.

Just tried that and its still the same on bbc,itv and 4 heavy black lines in the picture, I also trust the engineer I use, may I add its only just started over the past week never had any probs before. No mobile masts near

ok, there will probably be a website somewhere with a schedule of new transmitters and something may coincide with that to determine it, are you receiving Carnane or Winter Hill ?

are the black lines vertical or horizontal ?, steady or drifting across/up/down the screen ?

how wide ? can you see any other picture shapes

Archived