Stu Peters Takes Over Talking Heads

GD4ELI

Its a great idea for a topic area in a radio plan, lets not let it go to waste with old farts ringing up and reading from the weekly local newspaper, traffic, Tynwald etc etc.

Yep, far prefer having the presenter take the call and relay a summary of what's said than some old codger missing the entire point of the discussion and just going on air to winge about his pet hate.

senior_xing.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a great idea for a topic area in a radio plan, lets not let it go to waste with old farts ringing up and reading from the weekly local newspaper, traffic, Tynwald etc etc.

Yep, far prefer having the presenter take the call and relay a summary of what's said than some old codger missing the entire point of the discussion and just going on air to winge about his pet hate.

Last Friday of the month - open house?

Last Friday of the month - open house?

Yeah - that would work well, as long as it does not always turn into a driving phone in! - maybe a forum for topics for the future suggestions - so Stu can get suitable guests and interviews lined up?

Some more topics -

Hydroponic glass houses on the isle for fresh fruit and veg - powered by the SWERF - on the old post a rose site??

Whats going on at the DTL, three senior staff sent packing, Change in Ministers and department members, and Tynwald about to be asked to have a Public Hearing into the affairs of the DTL. :o

What??? Discussed on a Government-backed Radio station ...Dream on!!

Whilst many of these would make for lively programmes, one problem that people seem unaware of is that if a hack wants an answer to a tricky question (as per Lee's suggestion, for example) and those in control of the information don't want to share it, you're stymied.

Quite often with stories that every bloke down the pub knows the ins and outs of but ISN'T reported by the media, it's because a Government/Department/Company won't comment, the people involved don't want to prejudice proceedings or have been gagged (maybe as a condition of an 'agreement' being reached), and to debate rumour, innuendo or hearsay in public runs the significant risk of defamation and a field day for the lawyers. Ask the MF mods.

And to reiterate, in 5 years of becoming a jaded hack, I've never known the Government to interfere once with the freedom of the press/media. Stonewalled maybe, been a bit cross at times, been keen to correct factual errors - but this repeated assumption that the Government controls what the public broadcaster reports is simply not true.

Whilst many of these would make for lively programmes, one problem that people seem unaware of is that if a hack wants an answer to a tricky question (as per Lee's suggestion, for example) and those in control of the information don't want to share it, you're stymied.

Quite often with stories that every bloke down the pub knows the ins and outs of but ISN'T reported by the media, it's because a Government/Department/Company won't comment, the people involved don't want to prejudice proceedings or have been gagged (maybe as a condition of an 'agreement' being reached), and to debate rumour, innuendo or hearsay in public runs the significant risk of defamation and a field day for the lawyers. Ask the MF mods.

And to reiterate, in 5 years of becoming a jaded hack, I've never known the Government to interfere once with the freedom of the press/media. Stonewalled maybe, been a bit cross at times, been keen to correct factual errors - but this repeated assumption that the Government controls what the public broadcaster reports is simply not true.

If the Government refuses to comment then aren't they in fact 'in control' of what is being said?

LegCo reform?

What happened to the Corkill / GC Construction civil case?

Rumour going about in Onchan is that they have made a settlement with the builders on condition that no information or evidence is made public. Are these the same people that have the Chemist shop at the Garage.

I had an MRI recently. Not a lot of room inside when you've been slid in.

Certainly not enough room to remove the headphones they provide.

After half an hour of shit from MR.

I was ready to confess to 9/11

They ought to try that at Guantanamo

I had an MRI recently. Not a lot of room inside when you've been slid in.

Certainly not enough room to remove the headphones they provide.

After half an hour of shit from MR.

I was ready to confess to 9/11

They ought to try that at Guantanamo

They allow you to have your own CDs.

You're a secret fan of MR and I claim my reward! :P

Archived