Stu Peters Takes Over Talking Heads

GD4ELI

Gagster: In MY experience it's generally people off-island who occasionally ask for questions beforehand - a politician here would know what the topic was, but that's about all. And people know better than to decline an interview - what happens in practice is that you get the runaround for a few days until an issue becomes old news that nobody's really interested in it any more.

Far from being pointless, programmes like Talking Heads give the public a conduit (like MF in some ways) to discuss issues affecting the Isle of Man, often with a member of government or a senior civil servant. Make no mistake, if enough people are upset about something, chances are there'll be political action taken. With ANY phone-in programme (or online forum!) though, there's usually a hard-core of regulars, and in many ways THEIR view is predictable and therefore routinely discounted by the guest as not being representative.

So (IMHO) the key is in getting new people to call in and make interesting, concise and well-reasoned points. I want to make good radio, you want to change the world - there's nothing incompatible there EXCEPT that you can't call in and repeat stories you heard from a bloke in the pub without us both going to jail.

I really like the idea earlier that we get ordinary people on to talk about things, and will try to do some of that. Only problem is that few people in government or private jobs could appear on the radio without sanction from above, so we're unlikely to get any whistleblowers on. And the authorities normally refuse to comment on individual cases, so (for example) if I got a pensioner on who was freezing because they couldn't afford heating, we'd get promises to look into it from all concerned, and that would be the end of it.

We're all keen on this idea of 'free speech' as being integral to our democratic society. But it's not an absolute - in that you CAN say anything you like, but there WILL be consequences if you defame or slander someone, or affect the work of the courts by prejudicing an outcome. The rise of the internet, with all sorts of anonymous accounts and pseudonyms, means that more of that kind of information does get into the public domain, but don't kid yourself that the authorities won't find you if they really have a mind to.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting use of words; is she a felon (by the by, in some countries, eg, USA, I think you are a felon if you are convicted of a very serious crime, it is the conviction that makes you a felon and so 'convicted felon' is possibly a tautology, but that is not my point) and what is the definition of same?

I'm glad you find my choice of words interesting. Because let's face it, some who post on here no doubt have sharp points to make but they post them in such a long-winded, dull and banal way that before I get to the end I feel my will to live just ebbing away. I suppose I could have posted "even if Julie Corkill has been convicted of three counts of false accounting and one of obtaining a tourism grant by deception resulting in fines totalling £10,000 and £22,500 costs. No, imho it's not as good, it's just too laboured.

But the criminal court hearing has passed sentence and the civil case has, obviously, been settled on terms which were acceptable to both sides, so let it be. If it was England they could both disappear in to relative obscurity, but they have decided to stick it out here, where just about everyone will recognise them, and make a go of it.

Leave them be now..... etc

It's not obvious at all to me that the civil case has been settled. I mean, has it and how do you know? Acceptable to both sides? If so why the secrecy which instantly leads anyone with half an ounce of common sense to conclude that someone has something to hide? I also thought the sentence extremely lenient. A £10k fine for a £50k offence - something wrong somewhere.

So where can one obtain the facts of the matter? Because whitewash is a growth industry...

Make no mistake, if enough people are upset about something, chances are there'll be political action taken.

Well in my experience, this couldn't be further from the truth! If people are are upset, Government hides behind closed doors and stick to their guns. One particular experience I had resulted in the key political figure being invited onto Talking Heads (he'd already failed to show up at Public Meeting to talk about the same issue), but declined when he received the questions in advance.

Okay, that may have been a one-off, but where does MR stand when it comes to pushing and challenging Government members - bearing in mind the financial support that MR relies up from the Government. I always find it amusing that if there's a positive spin to be had, they'll queue up to be interviewed on MR but when there's something like a difficult situation, you don't see them for dust - and MR will leave them well alone.

Having looked at the thread on Electricity Price Rises

What is going to be done about the escalating financial problems of the MEA!!!!!!! A Manx scandal that appears to be getting worse and worse.

This may be a stupid suggestion....Stu if you need a bit of background or questions to ask on issues you wish to raise there seem to be a number of people who contribute to the Board with excellent insights into particular issuse who could perhaps be PM'd to contribute to your 'research'?

"I really like the idea earlier that we get ordinary people on to talk about things, and will try to do some of that. Only problem is that few people in government or private jobs could appear on the radio without sanction from above, so we're unlikely to get any whistleblowers on. And the authorities normally refuse to comment on individual cases, so (for example) if I got a pensioner on who was freezing because they couldn't afford heating, we'd get promises to look into it from all concerned, and that would be the end of it."

If you need a 'white van man' and a taxi driver (what a minefield of attitudes), I'm available.

ps, why the change of avator?

A change is as good as a rest, skrappey. Since I've changed jobs I've had a spring clean and changed my photo and strapline. Minimises the belly too, so there's just the outside change a gorgeous 34-year old single local women with no children, a career of her own, no inhibitions and a penchant for older blokes will see it and stalk me.

Manshimajin - I've made some good pals on MF who DO sometimes PM me with background, and long may that continue.

Gagster - that's politics the world over. I can't FORCE them to appear if they don't want to. The difference across is that if a politician jibs an interview, there are usually opposition members happy to capitalise and fill the breach. We don't have that. And to reiterate, I have NEVER been pressured by my bosses - in ANY way - to take it easy on a member of Tynwald or civil servant - if anything just the opposite. My personal view is that you can get more out of an interviewee if you treat them with respect and try to develop a bit of a rapport rather than go for the throat. Confrontational interviewing might work across (although I'm not convinced it achieves anything) where you've got a long list of alternative people to talk to, but it would be easy to burn bridges here without any real benefit.

Edited to add: A final thought - what enrages one person is often of little interest to another. One time I DID get a bit eggy was when the (then) Transport Minister tried to use blatant propaganda to push through an all-island speed limit, because the WAY it was being done enraged me and lots of other people. Even so, I was reported to the Communications Commission (not by him) for it. The complaint never got any further, and shortly afterwards I was vindicated when the DoT was forced to withdraw their radio advertising on the issue as it WAS adjudged by the CC to be blatant propaganda.

A change is as good as a rest, skrappey. Since I've changed jobs I've had a spring clean and changed my photo and strapline. Minimises the belly too, so there's just the outside change a gorgeous 34-year old single local women with no children, a career of her own, no inhibitions and a penchant for older blokes will see it and stalk me.

Here you are Stu the answer to all your prayers, and what an assistant she would make for unwanted callers to your show.

The way I see it ....

Government members, be they employees or politicians i.e. anyone who is paid by the public to do their job ....are answerable to the public ...therefore it is MR's job (MR being funded by the public) to pose questions and highlight issues ...to say 'oh they don't want to talk to us' or similar, is just a lazy and unprofessional way out ...and leads rise to 'Government puppet' accusations

The way I see it ....

Government members, be they employees or politicians i.e. anyone who is paid by the public to do their job ....are answerable to the public ...therefore it is MR's job (MR being funded by the public) to pose questions and highlight issues ...to say 'oh they don't want to talk to us' or similar, is just a lazy and unprofessional way out ...and leads rise to 'Government puppet' accusations

So what do you do if they refuse to talk? Even the police can't force you to speak.

So what do you do if they refuse to talk? Even the police can't force you to speak.

I think the standard media line is 'We asked Minsiter X to participate and explain his position but he declined to come on the programme.'

The other thing is in future to refuse Minister X access to be interviewed on things he wants to be interviewed on as election time approaches....

That's quite a nice idea GD4.

Is it because our expectations are so much higher, to the point where we're disappointed if we're not millionaires by30? Is it anything to do with the rise in reality TV competitions and technicolour rags to riches stories? Is it because we think we live in a meritocracy, but the reality is that the establishment is as strong as ever?

I was actually thinking of some 'non topical' debates we could start occasionally (on 'quiet news' days) as I walked into Tesco a couple of days ago. Why are so many middle aged women so angry looking? You get a couple of vexed looking blokes (most look friendly enough) but the majority of over-40's women looked on a mission to share some inner rage and spread unhappiness.

CCM - as I said earlier, people very rarely refuse to be interviewed (if they do, Sarah is right. But usually they're just 'in meetings' or 'off island' every time you call, and their staff promise faithfully to pass on your message. On the basis the excuses ARE sometimes valid (especially during the summer holidays) you wouldn't really want to ban anyone, which would make future reporting a bit pointless anyway. I see what you're saying, but it's one of those things that SOUNDS easy to deal with - in practice it's more difficult.

Now that Dan-Dan the D.J. man has moved over to the dark side MR's very own Rock takes over at lunchtime.

To help him get started I suggest he looks at:

• More flights from London City (please)
  • Rotten / overpriced facilities at the airport - security crammed into the smalled possible shoebox and the extortionate price of the coffee

Any other suggestions to keep Stu busy?

Nothing to do with cars and traffic! It's too sad.

And it's boring for those of us who just use our cars to get from A to B so that we can get on with our lives.

Why are so many middle aged women so angry looking? You get a couple of vexed looking blokes (most look friendly enough) but the majority of over-40's women looked on a mission to share some inner rage and spread unhappiness.

That is a very good point. It could be extended though - why are there so many sulky teenagers? Yes, yes, I know teenagers have been sulky since Noah was a lad and all that, but there are definitely far more than ever these days.

In fact it seems everyone these days is a miserable get. Try walking along the Promenade. You would expect at least an acknowledgment as you approach and pass people. These days you're lucky if you get a hurried sideways looking glance. Now that might be a reflection on my having the appearance of a mad axe-murderer (and the hair and rose tinted specs don't help) but apparently this is a common observation.

There seems to be far too many demons running about in people's heads these days, I would say.

Archived