Stu Peters Takes Over Talking Heads

GD4ELI

Try walking along the Promenade. You would expect at least an acknowledgment as you approach and pass people. These days you're lucky if you get a hurried sideways looking glance. Now that might be a reflection on my having the appearance of a mad axe-murderer (and the hair and rose tinted specs don't help) but apparently this is a common observation.

Here we *always* say hello whether you know someone or not. Axe-murderers are welcome as long as they pay their taxes and don't leave litter behind them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stu - your first TH theme:

Why are people so much more miserable today than 30 years ago?

One of the reasons is cars. There's been some superb research here about the isolation people feel when they drive, which means you stop treating people like humans when you're driving, you lose empathy.

It's really noticeable if you walk and cycle how much more human contact you have, more eye contact, more nods and smiles and hellos. If your walking and a cyclist goes by, you tend to have some kind of reaction, even slight. A car goes past a cyclist in the opposite direction and there's nothing. I suffer when I drive now because I don't drive that often, and you really notice the difference.

Stu - your first TH theme:

Why are people so much more miserable today than 30 years ago?

That's an easy one - Britain is full of wankers, run by wankers, administered by wankers and reported on by wankers, with greedy wankers forcing up the costs all the time, and bossy wankers telling everyone else how to live their lives.

The older I get, the more I understand why old people don't want to live forever.

That's an easy one - Britain is full of wankers, run by wankers, administered by wankers and reported on by wankers, with greedy wankers forcing up the costs all the time, and bossy wankers telling everyone else how to live their lives.

The older I get, the more I understand why old people don't want to live forever.

Don't forget the miserable wankers complaining about all the wankers!

What are you complaining about, I didn't miss you out :D<_<

Who would you interview to get one simple question answered : ?

When the many large capital projects that are prevalent in the Island finish up in a fiasco who is responsible ? or is no one responsible ? I cannot recall anyone ever being brought to book for their part.

another subject - parking on pavements :angry:

What is one supposed to do walking along when the pavement is completely blocked by eejits blocking the way, it's not an extension to their garden, it's an offence and there should be a crack-down, would they take responsibility if pedestrians were knocked down by traffic when walking in the road to get past these blockages ?

/angry off

What are you complaining about, I didn't miss you out :D<_<

But you failed to mention the whole Scottish nation - or are your views moderating as old age gets nearer every day?

A change is as good as a rest, skrappey. Since I've changed jobs I've had a spring clean and changed my photo and strapline. Minimises the belly too, so there's just the outside change a gorgeous 34-year old single local women with no children, a career of her own, no inhibitions and a penchant for older blokes will see it and stalk me.

Manshimajin - I've made some good pals on MF who DO sometimes PM me with background, and long may that continue.

Gagster - that's politics the world over. I can't FORCE them to appear if they don't want to. The difference across is that if a politician jibs an interview, there are usually opposition members happy to capitalise and fill the breach. We don't have that. And to reiterate, I have NEVER been pressured by my bosses - in ANY way - to take it easy on a member of Tynwald or civil servant - if anything just the opposite. My personal view is that you can get more out of an interviewee if you treat them with respect and try to develop a bit of a rapport rather than go for the throat. Confrontational interviewing might work across (although I'm not convinced it achieves anything) where you've got a long list of alternative people to talk to, but it would be easy to burn bridges here without any real benefit.

Edited to add: A final thought - what enrages one person is often of little interest to another. One time I DID get a bit eggy was when the (then) Transport Minister tried to use blatant propaganda to push through an all-island speed limit, because the WAY it was being done enraged me and lots of other people. Even so, I was reported to the Communications Commission (not by him) for it. The complaint never got any further, and shortly afterwards I was vindicated when the DoT was forced to withdraw their radio advertising on the issue as it WAS adjudged by the CC to be blatant propaganda.

54year old would be more suitable at your stage of life.

Worst is on athol street where the taxi's, delivery vans, DHL twots and lazy fucktards just mount the pavement rather than find somewhere to park. Doesn't matter if you're walking on it or anything, up they go at you.

What is one supposed to do walking along when the pavement is completely blocked by eejits blocking the way, it's not an extension to their garden, it's an offence and there should be a crack-down, would they take responsibility if pedestrians were knocked down by traffic when walking in the road to get past these blockages ?

/angry off

Something may happen when the Police themselves stop parking on pavements. It's not an uncommon sight.

/angry off

Something may happen when the Police themselves stop parking on pavements. It's not an uncommon sight.

Whoever does this should consider what a wheelchair person or someone with a pram/pushchair has to do when confronted by such an obstuction on the "walkway". Obvious - they have to go round into the road. Not exactly safe.

Back to the piece about a learner failing her test through being inconsiderate to other road users. These people should have penalty points for being inconsiderate.

Whoever does this should consider what a wheelchair person or someone with a pram/pushchair has to do when confronted by such an obstuction on the "walkway". Obvious - they have to go round into the road. Not exactly safe.

I saw this happen a month or so ago ago. A Police Transit van was parked in Derby Road on double yellow lines and on the pavement. A young mother couldn't get her pram past the van on the pavement and had to pass it on the road side. I wish I'd had my camera with me that day.

Archived