[BBC News] Chief's reassurance on pensions

Newsbot

More opportunity for consultants.

Keep the existing schemes. Close them to new members. Introduce single scheme for all public servants. Pick one of the existing ones as it has its admin in place.

Can I claim a fee?

P.S. make sure its affordable and that it covers MHKs' pensions too - oops could that wreck the whole thing?

More opportunity for consultants.

Keep the existing schemes. Close them to new members. Introduce single scheme for all public servants. Pick one of the existing ones as it has its admin in place.

Can I claim a fee?

Make the private sector pay more so the civil service can get a nice fat pension after years of service by sitting on their behinds doing nothing. What have a broken gun and a civil servant got in common? They don't work and you can't fire them!

Make the private sector pay more so the civil service can get a nice fat pension after years of service by sitting on their behinds doing nothing. What have a broken gun and a civil servant got in common? They don't work and you can't fire them!

:D

115353.JPG

"If and when detailed proposals are agreed, the government is committed to full consultation with staff before any change is introduced," he added.

It looks like once detailed proposals are agreed, regardless of what happens in the 'consultation', the change will be introduced anyhow.

'consultation' here sounds like politic discussion to make a 'valued team member' feel as if they have a role and are participating, but which will have no bearing on outcome. (Usually to assist them swallowing something they might not like).

Perhaps 'Full consultation' means lots of discussion and meetings which will have no bearing on outcome (?) (Maybe they are really not going to like it).

Is this bit of jargon now in general use?

'consultation' here sounds like politic discussion to make a 'valued team member' feel as if they have a role and are participating, but which will have no bearing on outcome. (Usually to assist them swallowing something they might not like).

A very accurate cynical synopsis if I may say so. The worthies in Tynwald would never dream of feathering their own nests whilst shafting the rest of the public servants. Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing!

A very accurate cynical synopsis if I may say so. The worthies in Tynwald would never dream of feathering their own nests whilst shafting the rest of the public servants. Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing!

I think the critical words are:

"I can also repeat the assurance that the value of all benefits and lump sums accrued by staff will be protected."

No commitment about future benefits. If it has been agreed that it will be a unified scheme then the negotiators need to ensure that 'unified' includes MHKs - then watch the wriggling....

P.K. 'Cynical'? Moi? No....

Just a note about the meaning of words.

'Consult' - roughly I'd say it means: to obtain an opinion or a view, and seek guidance on points in doubt.

If the consultation happens 'if and when detailed proposals are agreed', ('agreed' = jargon for 'decided') then there are no points in doubt or where guidance is needed. Thus it is obtaining an opinion or view which will have no bearing on outcome. In other words, giving someone an opportunity to sound off a bit, and do a bit of feather stroking.

I have to confess I didn't give a thought to the 'worthies in Tynwald' - apart from wondering if this was how Westminster 'consults' with IOMG, and if that's where they picked up the lingo (or just too many consultants around!)

Tony Brown said no final decisions had been taken on the finer details of the future scheme which will unify 19 separate current pension plans.

manshimajin: Keep the existing schemes. Close them to new members. Introduce single scheme for all public servants. Pick one of the existing ones as it has its admin in place.

Er - do you mean unify the schemes like this? -

"Another 15 insolvent pension schemes were taken over by the Pension Protection Fund (PPF) in August."

('no final decision on the finer details' - like maybe the delicate matter of how to break the news - but presumably everything else is a done deal)

• 2 weeks later...

is'nt it great though the politicians want to change our pensions but they are not included in the changes!,its ok for all of them they can retire at 55 we don't have that luxury! so they r probably trying to squeeze money out of us to pay their lump sums when they retire.....as the majority must be near retirement age now!

Archived