Port Erin Commissioner Objects To Poster

Amadeus

This is like something out of Little Britain or something - please someone tell me it's a wind-up - please!!!

Anti-litter poster branded 'absolutely appalling'

A POSTER to dissuade smokers from dropping their cigarette butts has been branded 'absolutely appalling' by a Port Erin commissioner.

Luisa Gillow has threatened to resign if the poster is displayed in the village.

Anita Imberger, the tobacco strategy co-ordinator at the Department of Health and Social Services, wrote to all local authorities about a cigarette litter campaign and asking if they wanted to be involved.

The campaign includes posters to be displayed. One showed a cigarette covered in a fishnet stocking and reads: 'However you tart it up, it's still litter.'

Ms Gillow said: 'I protest in the strongest possible terms. I'm so sorry this has come about in the year 2008, I would have hoped we had come a bit further than that.

If women – or men – wear that clothing, to say they are then a tart is really appalling. I am shocked. If this local authority gets offending literature I hope we are not putting it up. If we do, I will be resigning. It's absolutely appalling.'

Ok, lock your children away.

Send grandma home

Close the door

Here it is, the oh-so-very offensive poster

th059200839smokingposteoq1.jpg

Port Erin, the Island's very own Royston Vasey...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the Port Erin Commissionperson is worried about it from a Health and Safety perspective?

Better to give up tarts

rhubarb_tart.JPG

than ciggies?

Thank goodness it doesn't say anything about fags in tights....

Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase put it up someone...I'd love to see her bluff called.

(However you tart it up, IoM is not part of Britain).

Britain is strictly a non-defined entity - Great Britain is the large island comprising England,Wales + Scotland, the British Isles include that + the various Islands in the British seas (as the census used to phrase it) which do include Mann (& in the past used to be taken as including Ireland)

TART =

1. v. t. - Sharp to the taste; acid; sour; as, a tart apple.

2. v. t. - Fig.: Sharp; keen; severe; as, a tart reply; tart language; a tart rebuke.

3. Noun - A species of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.

4. noun - A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.

5. noun - A prostitute.

6. noun - A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

7. adjective - Having a sharp pungent taste; sour.

8. adjective - Sharp or bitter in tone or meaning; cutting.

Whose bright idea was it to run a poster campaign in the Isle of Man with "Keep Britain Tidy" branding? (However you tart it up, IoM is not part of Britain).

BAD Skeddan, BAD BAD Skeddan. If this thread turns into another 'Cavendish gets honoured' I'll come round and clip you round the ear. I've learned my lesson. It's time the rest of you did too.

(However you tart it up, IoM is not part of Britain).

Britain is strictly a non-defined entity - Great Britain is the large island comprising England,Wales + Scotland, the British Isles include that + the various Islands in the British seas (as the census used to phrase it) which do include Mann (& in the past used to be taken as including Ireland)

"Britain" is clearly defined - it is shorthand for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

S

Archived