Port Erin Commissioner Objects To Poster

Amadeus

TART =

1. v. t. - Sharp to the taste; acid; sour; as, a tart apple.

2. v. t. - Fig.: Sharp; keen; severe; as, a tart reply; tart language; a tart rebuke.

3. Noun - A species of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.

4. noun - A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.

5. noun - A prostitute.

6. noun - A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

7. adjective - Having a sharp pungent taste; sour.

8. adjective - Sharp or bitter in tone or meaning; cutting.

Buy a new dictionary. The first two definitions are adjectives, not transitive verbs.

S

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which poster did she object to?

I bet it was keyboarder

I think the common modern day reply to the above post is "LOL" :lol:

Surely this poster, featuring fishnets, would have been more appropriate in Peel?

That's a reference to the local industry, not a dig at the female populace, by the way..

PS: Must say, I expected someone who looked like a latter-day Mary Whitehouse, not as per the photo!

I'm more concerned that none of my commissioners thought it was disgusting that this poster was produced in the first place.

Anita Imberger, the tobacco strategy co-ordinator at the Department of Health and Social Services, wrote to all local authorities about a cigarette litter campaign and asking if they wanted to be involved.

Why are the DHSS getting involved in a campaign about litter?

There's something insidious about all this. The DHSS, which is in part funded by tobacco duty, conducts a long running campaign on the dangers of passive smoking that leads to a shift in the public's mood and ultimately to the indoor smoking ban. Now this was trailed as being about pubs and restaurants, workplaces basically, and fair-minded smokers (like I was at that time) could see that it was probably right. But implementation was different wider and includes shelters, bus stops, doorways and whatnot. And everywhere is stickered with those ghastly no smoking signs.

Now Port Erin Bus Station in a good example, it used to have an ashtray inside the shelter, but with the ban they've taken it away and not placed it outside. There is a bin, but that is still inside. I'm not really sure whether it would be ok to go inside to stub out the cigarette.

In fact the whole outdoor disposal of cigarettes was a moral and logistical minefield when I smoked. Most bins aren't really designed for the disposal of fag ends. The green plastic ones quickly become unsightly after a few dimps have been stubbed out on them. Then you are never really certain whether the cigarette is truly out so it feels reckless to lob it in with all the other contents and risk a conflagration. (In passing, I assume it's not ok to just lob them down drains?) Really there needs to be a separate compartment for cigarettes. I did worry about this kind of thing and often ended up putting completed cigarettes in my pocket for later disposal. With hilarious results.

But many towns and villages haven't really got to grip with this issue - there are too few bins, and what there are poorly designed. But, hey, it's easier to put up a poster!

What was going through the mind of the person who designed this poster anyway? I gave up smoking a few months ago and if these posters start going up everywhere it'll be like an ex-lover starring in a lingerie ad.

And all of this is busy work for busybodys. The Nagging About Fags Taskforce or whatever they call themselves have campaigned for the ban, run a consultation on whether to have a ban, consulted about the implementation of the ban, put up posters advising that the ban was coming and stuck unsightly no-smoking signs on every available surface. So now the bans in place they've looked around and latched on to litter to justify their continued existence. They'll be after a designated smoking area of Nobles Park next, no doubt including a poster campaign to announce its' arrival and the subsequent banning of smoking elsewhere in Douglas.

It seems in recent years there's a real pettyness crept into Manx local and national government, and all of it accompanied by a poster or a slogan. All summer long visitors to Port Erin Prom have had to see a full colour, large size, laminated poster of a shitty helmet. Presumably to distract visitors from all the decaying buildings, and lack of maintenance in public spaces. But really what's worse the odd tiny fag-end or dog turd here or there or supersized multicolour pictures of the same things everywhere.

That poster gives me the horn for cigarettes, never though of them as fishnet wearing tarts

I might start smoking because of it

At least its got us talking about it (although i forget what the poster was for, the erotic image of a cigarette in fishnets - mmmmmm)

All attempted joking aside, as a parent whose son has recently learnt to read and is now aviding consuming all text wherever he can see it, I'd get a few questions about the poster. I'd be happy enough to discuss them, maybe skirting around the prostitute implications (not ready for that one yet) maybe not all parents would be so happy nr should they be

I'm more concerned that none of my commissioners thought it was disgusting that this poster was produced in the first place.

Anita Imberger, the tobacco strategy co-ordinator at the Department of Health and Social Services, wrote to all local authorities about a cigarette litter campaign and asking if they wanted to be involved.

Why are the DHSS getting involved in a campaign about litter?

There's something insidious about all this. The DHSS, which is in part funded by tobacco duty, conducts a long running campaign on the dangers of passive smoking that leads to a shift in the public's mood and ultimately to the indoor smoking ban. Now this was trailed as being about pubs and restaurants, workplaces basically, and fair-minded smokers (like I was at that time) could see that it was probably right. But implementation was different wider and includes shelters, bus stops, doorways and whatnot. And everywhere is stickered with those ghastly no smoking signs.

They won't be happy till they get their smoke police uniforms and we all lead busy-body pointless lives like theirs. More meally-mouthed health facists, going beyond their remit as usual.

They're biding their time preparing for their next major move...attacking smokers in their own homes. In the meantime, they're concentrating their attacks on the booze flank and justifying their existance through litter. Watch out for the next 'major killer' - 'passive smoke foot rot'.

Watch out for the next 'major killer' - 'passive smoke foot rot'.

So now you understand the poster....real passive smokers don't wear fishnets it gives them foot rot

Whose bright idea was it to run a poster campaign in the Isle of Man with "Keep Britain Tidy" branding? (However you tart it up, IoM is not part of Britain).

BAD Skeddan, BAD BAD Skeddan. If this thread turns into another 'Cavendish gets honoured' I'll come round and clip you round the ear. I've learned my lesson. It's time the rest of you did too.

No - the point is i) that if being all politically correct about the poster, then at least be politically correct, ii) it's a bit shameful for a govt department to make this kind of blunder (imagine if they ran a poster campaign that said "Keep Scotland Tidy"), iii) it is a cheap and tacky campaign which they probably ran in IoM with little or no thought because they could pick up cheap posters remaindered after this was run in the UK.

Who knows, maybe the DHSS will also run this as well - don't you think it would be less sexist and have more impact in IoM without the "Keep Britain Tidy" t-shirt:

post-11726-1220954854_thumb.png

For me its bloody obvious why its got keep Britain tidy on it - they part paid for the poster along with Tescos.

Keep Britain Tidy is a charity - which receives funding from various sources: including the IOM and UK governments.

Indutibly the IOM is a part of the British Isles - Skeddan you do know that a "Manx" passport has the words British Islands on it don't you.

To turn this into a Manx nationalist issue is frankly pathetic - but keep up the good work.

Indutibly the IOM is a part of the British Isles

So by your reasoning the Republic of Eire is part of Britain?

I guess the reason they don't run "Keep Britain Tidy" campaigns in Eire is also merely down to a pathetic 'nationalist issue'?

The reason why enCams run "Keep Wales Tidy" and "Keep Scotland Beautiful" campaigns is that targetting at the regional and local community level is more effective - this is not a 'nationalist issue' - it is simply about advertising effectiveness. "Keep the Isle of Man Beautiful" would probably be a great deal more effective than "Keep Britain Tidy" - regardless of whether or not you consider IoM to be a part of Britain.

However you tart it up, IoM is not part of Britain.
... by your reasoning the Republic of Eire is part of Britain?

Skeddan, geographically the island of Ireland is the 2nd largest Island in the group of islands known as the British Isles, but politically the use of the term Britain is too close to the UK and so its not used. The Isle of Man is definitely geographically and by most common usage a part of the British Isles, even politically - every Manxman today is a British citizen and so in light of that I really do feel you are just puffing this up out of all proportion.

Of course a Keep the IOM Tidy would be more local and probably more effective, but the idea that we cannot take use of copy generated by the Keep Britain happy is just silly.

regarding the issue of disposing of ciggie butts, how bout these?

http://www.softashtray.com/product_info.asp?pid=141

Gotta love the mantra - Happy, Smoking, Refresh! :lol:

Maybe get the pubs/restaurants to stock them and then hand them out to the people who are going out for a fag?

already done, the DLGE gave out a load of them when the smoking ban came in. They were the only smoking product I've seen without a health warining on the side.

Archived