Port Erin Commissioner Objects To Poster

Amadeus

Skeddan, geographically the island of Ireland is the 2nd largest Island in the group of islands known as the British Isles, but politically the use of the term Britain is too close to the UK and so its not used. The Isle of Man is definitely geographically and by most common usage a part of the British Isles, even politically - every Manxman today is a British citizen and so in light of that I really do feel you are just puffing this up out of all proportion.

Is there meant to be an argument somewhere in that which shows IoM is part of Britain but Ireland is not? I get the bit that IoM (like Ireland) is part of the British Isles - which no one is disputing, but then I get a bit lost. It's like you want to say Eire is not part of the UK, but IoM is (Erm sort of), so IoM is part of Britain, but Eire isn't. What has this to do with IoM being in the British Isles?

Admittedly in former colonial days, some die hards liked to think that in their far flung outpost of the British Empire their little corner of England was part of 'Britain' - so in these sentimental terms, yes, you may care to think of IoM as Britain, and maybe your point is that unlike Eire, most people in IoM have this Little Britain view, so the poster is quite ok. (and I guess anyone who doesn't see IoM as being part of Britain in these terms is a 'pathetic nationalist').

Frankly it's no big deal. The DHSS can use posters with "Keep England Tidy" if they like - it wouldn't be a 'nationalist issue'. Just a silly blunder by someone who picked up a job lot of posters cheap from the UK and used these without thinking.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I vote Declan for commissioner ! Anyone got some bluetack so we can create a vacancy for him?

Saying she will resign her post are pretty strong words. It's not something you should 'threaten' just to get your way, it's almost childish.

Personally I'd like to see the posters put up and for her to resign - if you make these loose comments then you have to be prepared to stick with what you say, goodbye.

TART =

1. v. t. - Sharp to the taste; acid; sour; as, a tart apple.

2. v. t. - Fig.: Sharp; keen; severe; as, a tart reply; tart language; a tart rebuke.

3. Noun - A species of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.

4. noun - A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.

5. noun - A prostitute.

6. noun - A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

7. adjective - Having a sharp pungent taste; sour.

8. adjective - Sharp or bitter in tone or meaning; cutting.

Buy a new dictionary. The first two definitions are adjectives, not transitive verbs.

S

Don't have one. Obviously poor schooling by drug induced teachers in the 60's! Point was, it doesn't necessarily mean a prostitute or loose woman.

TART =

1. v. t. - Sharp to the taste; acid; sour; as, a tart apple.

2. v. t. - Fig.: Sharp; keen; severe; as, a tart reply; tart language; a tart rebuke.

3. Noun - A species of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.

4. noun - A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.

5. noun - A prostitute.

6. noun - A woman considered to be sexually promiscuous.

7. adjective - Having a sharp pungent taste; sour.

8. adjective - Sharp or bitter in tone or meaning; cutting.

Buy a new dictionary. The first two definitions are adjectives, not transitive verbs.

S

Don't have one. Obviously poor schooling by drug induced teachers in the 60's! Point was, it doesn't necessarily mean a prostitute or loose woman.

Obviously the word "tart" has other meanings - that's the whole point of the poster. From the definitions you'ce provided, in this case "tart it up" has two meanings. Using sharp language to pretend it's not really litter, and dressing to look like a prostitue and/or promiscuous woman.

The implication *is* that stockings make you look like a prostitute and/or promiscuous woman. How important that is is debatable, but there's no pretending otherwise by throwing around other definitions.

If, however, you had included this definition...

tr.v. Chiefly British., tart·ed, tart·ing, tarts.

To dress up or make fancy in a tawdry, garish way. Often used with up.

...then you might have had a point.

The campaign was sexist - why try and make out it wasn't? The campaign is targetted at mindless yobs and louts. Being sexist is one way of getting through to them. Being PC does not work nearly so well. Look at those ads for Wcked (that blue alcoholic soda pop).

Now you could argue the govt should not fund a campaign which is sexist. But if it is legal, why not? Maybe one could argue that sexist ads ought to be banned - ok, but that's something else - until then...

If she wants to resign over it, that's her choice and fair enough if she feels that way.

You could object to it (as some have) for the use of 'Britain.' You could object to it as being ineffective. To object to it on the grounds that it is 'sexist' requires an extreme form of feminism (IMO).

Fair point. Modify what I said earlier - does it matter whether or not it is sexist? It is certainly no more sexist than other ads (such as Wcked). Why shouldn't DHSS run ads, whether sexist or not, provided they comply with advertising standards and other regulations?

Even so, shouldn't she entitled to express her opinion that these posters are sexist and objectionable? She's entitled to resign over the issue if she wants, but I don't see exercising her right to freedom of expression on this should be grounds for dismissal as Mission suggests.

If considering alternatives, I'd suggest providing people with means of disposing of butts - i.e. outdoor ashtrays placed at various locations. You see these in London - sponsored by Addison Lee taxis. They are less of an eyesore than posters like this, and probably more effective - and could cost less if paid for by sponsorship revenue.

Why wait for her to resign, just sack her already ... mentalist.

Who's the mentalist? No-one should be able to sack someone from an elected position like commissioner for expressing an opinion. It's what they are meant to do!

Yay! I agree. But that said, it is a bit much to threaten to resign over this. Why not make the point and do it forcefully and use her position? If it is an idle threat to attract publicity, then it does her no credit (though of course still not grounds for dismissal). She was elected and has a responsibility which she undertook to carry out when she stood for office. She wasn't elected to resign over issues she disagrees with.

Well, strictly speaking she wasn't elected, because Port Erin has too many Commissioner posts she was elected uncontested. But I agree with you irrespective of whether she is right or wrong on the issue of the poster, to threaten to resign is pathetic.

Archived