Bbc To Consult On Tv Licence Collection Methods

manshimajin

Heard this in the radio this morning

TV Licence Collection Consultation

I did write to the BBC Trust and the Chief Minister some time ago to complain about the abusve nature of correspondence from the company employed to collect licence fees.

Got a 'thank you for writing to me' letter from the CM and nothing else. The BBC Trustees asked for more information and then I received a letter of apology from the head of the TVLA on the Island. She did not however comment on either the number of people who have been chased on false grounds by their 'enforcers' or the fact that they do not make it clear that the 'enforcers' do not have an automatic right of entry into people's property.

The attached does not make it clear how the consultation will be carried out - nor whether the opinions of the Manx contributors will be sought.

I will email to the Trustees to find out what is planned. If anyone else wishes to contact them I have this contact address

Victoria Finney

Correspondence Manager

BBC Trust Unit

email: Trust.Enquiries@bbc.co.uk

Is it worth assembling comments here - there are quite a lot on the original thread.

In every other country in the world this be regarded as an infringement of your rights to choose what you want, someone should take this to the european courts of human rights to see what they say, robbin buggers only make about 2 hours of good programs a week so the office of fair trading should sort them out.

Just found a couple of interesting points -

Man gets assaulted by TVL Detector officer

Petition to Abolish the tv licence

The thing that actually gets to me is how the BBC are also selling us DVD's etc that we actually paid for in the first place. It wouldn't be so bad but the price is beyond belief!!

Personally I think we've outgrown the BBC in many ways, we live in an age of digital television with literally hundreds of channels to view. The government needs to rethink the whole thing.

TV Licence Collection Consultation [/url]

I will email to the Trustees to find out what is planned. If anyone else wishes to contact them I have this contact address

Have received this email reply this morning:

Thank you for your email of 8 September regarding the Trust’s review of licence fee collection.

The consultation part of the review is now in progress and submissions are certainly invited from licence fee payers in the Isle of Man. You can find out more about the review and make a submission via the Trust’s website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open...tv_licence.html

I hope this is helpful. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Finney

Correspondence Manager

BBC Trust

If you have any comments about the way licence fees are collected or the availability of TV programme and channels and reception quality on the Island then this may be the place to make them:

Licence Fee Consultation

Noel Edmond's TV licence boycott

Presenter Noel Edmonds has stopped paying his TV licence fee, saying he dislikes the BBC's "threatening" manner towards those who evade the charge.

BBC

good on yer Noel

Full fee for a quarter of the services does not represent good value to me

Presenter Noel Edmonds has stopped paying his TV licence fee, saying he dislikes the BBC's "threatening" manner towards those who evade the charge.

BBC

good on yer Noel

I see you missed the point of Noel's boycott.

He said he thinks the beeb is well worth license fee, but is fed up of the licensing agency's (and the BBC's) heavy-handiness in demanding the license fee - citing the 'you're on the database' adverts specifically.

As a matter of principle and withing the law, I will oppose any enforced public funding to disgusting foul mouthed multi-millionaires such as Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton and the now relatively light-weight Chris Evans.

To be explained such things for example, as a broadcaster's masturbatory fantasies, is far beyond the remit of the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Oh, and Fuck, Shit, Wank Bollocks btw.

Mary Whitehouse really did have a point.

In relation to the IOM there is a specific problem

I was duty advocate at the recent TV lience court, about 40 prosecuted, not many, and only twice a year.

First they have a database of postcodes and house numbers from the Post Office

Second they have their own data base of licences issued. Thye run the two and identify which house has no licence.

Third it is not thye BBC or the Licence Agency, but a private, Irish company

Fourth it is a tax, like any other tax.

They write.

No answer they send around the inpector. Most people let him in. There is no force or co oercion.

They ask a few questions, which are rather non specific to rely on in court if there is a contest and ask you to sign the form and leave you with application and Direct Debit forms to fill in, send back or take to the post office

A month later if no licence is issued they write again and a month later a second time. A month after that they issue a private summons

First their systems are poor. Several people had licences. So at court if any one turns up with a licence, whenever issued the summons is dropped.

Second they are inflexivle. if you are on benefit and have no bank account or crdit or debit cards you cannot pay by installments in the IOM. In UK you can obtain a payment card and pay by postal orders or in co operative shops, in cash, almost like the old stamps system.

Not in the IOM, Several older oersons on benefit had tried and had their postal orders returned and paymentcards cancelled. The Magistrates were not impressed.

The other thing which surprised me was that the number who could not afford £140 a year for the best programming in the world bar none could apparently happily find £30 or £40 per month for sky

He said he thinks the beeb is well worth license fee, but is fed up of the licensing agency's (and the BBC's) heavy-handiness in demanding the license fee - citing the 'you're on the database' adverts specifically.

If you agree with Noel Edmonds comments go to the BBC Trustee site mentioned anove and fill in the questionnaire. It takes about 10 minutes unless you have an enormous amount to say. There is a section specifically on collection methods and one on advertising by the TVLA.

Personally I prefer the Irish humorous approach rather than the UK heavy hand of big brother approach.

Don't mind paying but I reckon we get a very poor service here compared with the UK so should pay proportionately less.

Don't mind paying but I reckon we get a very poor service here compared with the UK so should pay proportionately less.

Or the BBC ought to be performing its Charter obligations with respect to IoM. (Which would probably mean local BBC tv and radio stations, news coverage, current affairs, programmes about IoM, etc.)

Fourth it is a tax, like any other tax.

Yes it is a tax. But it seems to be one that the UK decided should be applied to IoM rather than Tynwald.

First they have a database of postcodes and house numbers from the Post Office

Second they have their own data base of licences issued. Thye run the two and identify which house has no licence.

Their system is faulty. I've now lived in the same house for 27 years and had a TV license for each of those years. I've been hounded by them each year since about 2000 for not having a license. Last year when I complained again I was told that I'd moved to another address, which I hadn't. When I came to renew online this year and entered my postcode my address was missing; they had the several houses listed either side of mine but my number was not on the list. Just about everyone at work has had chasing letters off them despite everyone having a valid license

They are a complete shambles

The other thing which surprised me was that the number who could not afford £140 a year for the best programming in the world bar none could apparently happily find £30 or £40 per month for sky

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there John? ;)

Maybe they should do away with the fine for not having a licence and confiscate the TV(s) instead?

The point about the lack of the instalment scheme on the IOM is ridiculous! I'd hope that in these cases the magsitrate dismissed the cases.

BBC

good on yer Noel

I see you missed the point of Noel's boycott.

Wha?

Who's missing what exactly?

Noel: License fee - Its terrific value - not happy about the heavy-handed tactics

Magneto: Not terrific value if you happen to live on the Isle of Man - agrees about the heavy-handed tactics... hence the post

simple enough for ya?

I don't have Sky but is this a case of people paying for what they want and not paying for what they don't want?

OK I know that there are arguments about the 'quality programming' that might not be produced if the BBC had to operate without its licence fees; but then again we normally get preached to by the good and the great about 'market forces' so maybe they should apply in regard to the BBC?

Archived