[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting report and statistics about various dog breeds, including pit bull terriers.

Click Here (pdf)

Edit: Wow, hadn't read it to the end until now:

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is

relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment,

someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the

actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a

Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that

has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as

their victims are paying the price.

If she gets her act together she and Champ might still make it across to Ireland before the time is up. Maybe the legal advice will be "there's a boat in the morning".

Hope that they allow it off in Belfast if it does travel tomorrow - I'm getting the boat back in the evening!

P.S. does the IOMSPC allow pitbull terriers in the 'doggy lounge' on the 'Ben'? I haven't seen a dog lounge on the 'Snuffle' so may be safe.

If she gets her act together she and Champ might still make it across to Ireland before the time is up. Maybe the legal advice will be "there's a boat in the morning".

Hope that they allow it off in Belfast if it does travel tomorrow - I'm getting the boat back in the evening!

P.S. does the IOMSPC allow pitbull terriers in the 'doggy lounge' on the 'Ben'? I haven't seen a dog lounge on the 'Snuffle' so may be safe.

If not, then pets are kept on the car deck for the trip.

Interesting report and statistics about various dog breeds, including pit bull terriers.

worth quoting that para in context:

...it is sheer foolishness to encourage people to

regard pit bull terriers and Rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no

matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary

circumstances.

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is

relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment,

someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the

actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a

Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that

has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as

their victims are paying the price.

Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be

handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special

requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other

animals, if they are to be kept at all.

The stats also show that in dog attacks in the US and Canada between Sept 82 - Nov 06 pitbulls / pitbull mixes were responsible for:

41% of all deaths

45% of all maimings to children

62% of all maimings to adults

Which pretty much adds up to the conclusion that it is sheer foolishness for people to regard pit bull terriers as just dogs like any other.

(At a guess I doubt their insurance would allow IOMSPC to let pitbulls or other banned dangerous dogs on board at all, and if they did probably there'd be all kinds of safety measures which would have to be agreed).

HOW CUTE!

But it is a bull....young maybe but a bull and the sunglasses don't fool me.

One suspects that Champ's owner has never looked in the mirror and asked herself

"what responsibility do I have in all this"?

Mind you the psychological profile that most closely matches people who select dangerous dogs as pets would tend to blame everyone but themselves if things go wrong.

"It was the child's fault it got savaged", "The postman's clothes smelled different", "Champ was having an off day" "it was not my dog's fault" etc etc...

"So the fact that I have broken the law, chosen a dangerous dog as a pet and have made up inconsistent stories about the age of the dog and done nothing in the last 2 months to save its life is not MY fault - it is the fault of the Vet, the Post Office, the Police, the relevant Govt Department, the Chief Minister."

Maybe Stu could interview the owner?????

Having had a look at the images and video of this dog, it really doesn't look like an American Pit Bull.

Should it turn out not to be one there will be some people looking a bit foolish.

If you google images of the American Pit Bull and have a close look you will notice there are many differences between this dog and the images you will find.

I have heard a rumor that it might already have been suggested by the authorities that this is not an American Pit Bull, but the owners insist that it is! This of course might be complete bollocks though.

I would imagine that someone (and more than likely us, the tax payer) will end up getting this animal 'Breed ID' and it will turn out not to be what it is declared as.

My guess (I might even wager 10 bob on it) is that it will turn out to be something (probably a staffie) crossed with a mastiff.

"No Mr Fawlty, is rare Siberian hamster!" - that would be a turn up for the books. I yield to your knowledge of pit bulls.

However, I think at least in UK law the burden of proof is on the owner to provide sufficient evidence that the dog is not a pit bull. Until that point it is treated as such. In this case, the owners are positively asserting him as being a pit bull and sealing his fate in the process.

Another point I noticed is that it is acknowledged on the adoption web site that Champ isn't good around other dogs and so has to be rehoused in a dogless home.

This animal is clearly capable of taking it out of another dog.

If the Manx authorities blink over this one it will be rediculous - rules are rules.

Amazingly I got it right first time - chose the one that was a bull terrier with the deliberately 'cutest' photo - looks like Champ to me. But note the US and Canadian statistics include Pit-bulls and crosses.

I guess if it turns out not to be a pitbull the owner is the one who will look most stupid. She should have continued to say it was a toy poodle.

Archived