[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

Champ was brought over from Ireland as a very young pup and is now roughly 3 and a half years old.

Ahh ok, so how is the current owner claiming he's been registered here for 5 years? Or am I mistaken in that belief?

She's changed that now. Gradually gone down and apparently now it's 5 months she's had him. But - has she actually had him "full-time" at all?? Or just visiting with his pevious owner?? He was advertised for re-homing on Manx.net and that's when the government stepped in so did he ever get to her??

I wondered why people were putting on facebook that they were sending donations.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why anyone would give money to this woman is beyond me, she is a proven liar. Also, at the end of the day, she knowingly owned an illegal dog (I know it's not illegal to own, only to import) So if you ask me, they should change that law pretty quick, then people like her wouldn't assume they could get away with endagering people by owning such animals.

The original owner Dean did not attempt to rehome him because he was aggressive towards his other dog. It was due to his living arrangements as many landlords are reluctant to rent properties to people who have pets.

I personally know Dean and I have known Champ since he was a puppy and he has never so much as even snarled at another dog. I have come across nastier Westies and poodles than Champ.

Even the people who have been looking after him at the MSPCA have admitted that he hasn't put "a paw wrong" during his stay with them

Then why did Dean SAY he was rehoming him for being aggressive towards his other dog? Naturally he said these things well before any of this became "news" and wouldn't be likely to repeat it now but that's what was said at the time. Why was his other dog not rehomed if the "landlord would not allow pets"? Maybe because it wasn't a dangerous banned animal who was attacking his other pet.

Apparently she's now been on Border News, and there's fundraising efforts now for getting him ID'd 'properly'.

by ID'd properly that means pay someone to say what they want. as i posted earlier, it has been refered to as a pit bull in 5 different circumstances by the OWNER.. as it said on the news today, there is a place in ireland willing to take him, so send him away. he won't be put down and will be legal. whats wrong with that solution??? other than sarah christian anderson won't be having him. it would seem that this is what should have been done months ago. and don't forget DAFF are spending OUR money boarding it with the MSPCA.. 3 months at a tenner a night????

Apparently she's now been on Border News, and there's fundraising efforts now for getting him ID'd 'properly'.

I mentioned earlier that I wondered if she was after money from the media so I am not surprised that she is trying to fundraise - one only hopes that it is properly accounted for! Could pay for a statue 'in memoriam'....

Gradually gone down and apparently now it's 5 months she's had him.

If, as she kept on saying, he is a pitbull terrier and she has only had him for 5 months when she took out a dog licence she would have seen very clearly that it is illegal to own pitbulls on the Island - ut's there in black and white. So she knowingly broke the law.

Why anyone would give money to this woman is beyond me, she is a proven liar. Also, at the end of the day, she knowingly owned an illegal dog (I know it's not illegal to own, only to import) So if you ask me, they should change that law pretty quick, then people like her wouldn't assume they could get away with endagering people by owning such animals.

Fishkettle if you look at Note 6 on the Dog Licence Application it says that it is illegal to 'own' a Pitbull or a Tosa. They don't need to change the law they need to enforce it.

If anyone is to blame for this- its the person who issued the dog licence, as the breed would have been declared on the application form.

If the dog has been microchipped and neutured then why did a vet allow this- should they have not alerted the owner to the fact that it was a banned breed and the dog would more than likely be seized?????

It all smacks a bit of celeb-culture publicity and self-promotion - make Champ a local celebrity - he is already as popular as King David. Perhaps a reality TV show, the authorised biography, t-shirts, mugs, balloons, merchandising royalties, etc.

If Champ is put down maybe they should stuff him and put him in the Manx museum. There could be a Champ memorial day for people to come from afar to lay wreaths and make tearful speeches about his being a Manx hero and martyr.

I gather he has been invited to be an ambassador for UNICEF.

If anyone is to blame for this- its the person who issued the dog licence, as the breed would have been declared on the application form.

If the dog has been microchipped and neutured then why did a vet allow this- should they have not alerted the owner to the fact that it was a banned breed and the dog would more than likely be seized?????

it has already been established that prior to this cockup, the vets were not aware of the situatuion regarding pit bulls, DOLGE were not aware as there is nothing breed specific in the dogs act, and the post office wasn't aware but has RECENTLY changed the forms to point this out in light of the situation. so now every one knows. i bet binladen knows too. DAFF are the ones who should have been on the ball as they are the department that deals with animal imports and exports. supposedly anyway. but they weren't aware of it at the time.

to be honest i think this is all a joke i know dean very well and champ, dean is the OWNER and the only owner of this dog, sara just walks the dog, champ is the most loving dog i have ever come across and dean is a really nice guy, sara is sticking her nose all the time, the girl is a liar and a joke, she has never owned this dog or brought it up, dean brought this dog up!!!

Archived