[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

As a dog owner I have followed this thread with interest. Many years ago I had a miniature dachshund, who was to put it bluntly, as soft as shite. That was until I brought my son home from the Jane. The dog went absolutely ballistic at first sight of the baby and I had to re home the dog asap with a family with no children. I was absolutely stunned that my silly soppy pet could turn so quickly.

I found a very interesting article with regards to the RSPCA's stance on the Dangerous Dog's Act online at The Independent's website:-

Link to article

I found the laws surrounding the owners accountability very interesting.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know dean very well and champ, dean is the OWNER and the only owner of this dog, sara just walks the dog,

If that's true then she is in line for a ridiculous amount of grief and ridicule I suspect when people at large find out. Especially the media.

I saw this on the news last night, he looks like an ok dog. Would be a shame if he turned out to be a banned dog really. Where would a dog like that be 'in the wild', they have to of been some kind of wild dog at some point, maybe they could set it free in its home land, American Pit Bull, would hint at it hailing from the grand old USofA lets send him back there and release him back into the wild from whenst he came......

i know dean very well and champ, dean is the OWNER and the only owner of this dog, sara just walks the dog,

If that's true then she is in line for a ridiculous amount of grief and ridicule I suspect when people at large find out. Especially the media.

this is true!

Fishkettle if you look at Note 6 on the Dog Licence Application it says that it is illegal to 'own' a Pitbull or a Tosa. They don't need to change the law they need to enforce it.

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info. Perhaps someone should be looking into the fact then that this woman, assuming ANYTHING she has said is true, has lied on the dog licence form. Now it appears she doesn't even own it? Just used to walk it? I know people are passionate about animals and everyone loves a good cause, but this isn't one, it's a dangerous dog and that's that!

Fishkettle if you look at Note 6 on the Dog Licence Application it says that it is illegal to 'own' a Pitbull or a Tosa. They don't need to change the law they need to enforce it.

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info. Perhaps someone should be looking into the fact then that this woman, assuming ANYTHING she has said is true, has lied on the dog licence form. Now it appears she doesn't even own it? Just used to walk it? I know people are passionate about animals and everyone loves a good cause, but this isn't one, it's a dangerous dog and that's that!

[/quote

i agree with what you have said about her, but this dog is not dangerous at all, if you knew this dog you wouldnt be saying what you have said, this dog is so soft and loving, you are so wrong!

i agree with what you have said about her, but this dog is not dangerous at all, if you knew this dog you wouldnt be saying what you have said, this dog is so soft and loving, you are so wrong!

Oh No! Not another one. Have you read any of this thread?

[/quote

Oh my god fatboy, i can't believe anyone can be so blinkered as to not see the bigger picture here! Of course the dog is loving and soft and i've no doubt he's never hurt anyone... YET!! "yet" being the whole point of this! These are dogs are dangerous, like it or not, they are unpredictable and they are capable of terrible things, everyone who has owned a dog like this that has ended up mauling a child says "oh but he was such a loving dog, never hurt anyone, this is so out of character" it's all too predictable. Why should we wait until Champ hurts someone before anything is done?

yes but they dont need to put the dog down at all do they, i am sure dean could sign something so the dog always has a mussle when out walking??

Sign something to say it's ok for him to break the law?

You're very disillusioned!

Looking at your spelling and sentence structure - are you really Sara?

I think you may find this is just poor wording on the form.

The schedule it refers to only deals with imports as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if the dog licecnce form was wrong given our governments ability to cock things up.

There is a habit over here of government drafting poor legislation and then having to amend it at a later date.

any dog can bite and hurt someone, if thats the case then all dogs should be put down i dont agree with this at all!

champ ha done nothing wrong!

I agree, any dog could do that yes. However, given the number of dogs around generally, incidences of this happening must be pretty low, otherwise it would be all over the news and no-one would be allowed to keep any dogs! The point is, these types of dogs (and certain others too) have been bred for their aggressive/violent tendancies, they are fighting dogs, that's a pitbulls' whole "thing". It's not the dogs fault, it's the fault of humans who've made them what they are. Champ may well have done nothing wrong (towards humans) but he has shown aggression towards other dogs, it's not too much of a leap of the imagination to see that aggression spilling over towards children, who are (lets face it) most at risk from these types of dogs. What if they let Champ stay and a year from now he chewed the face off a toddler who pulled his tail or something? How would you feel then?

Archived