[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the person concerned is coming from the UK then more than likely it is a gentleman called Dr Roger Mugford. He has done hundreds of these breed ID's for the police etc etc. And YES he will put his name to it.

That's good news - my local vet's dad knew him and had some respect for him, he's no fool is Dr Mugford. Do you really think that paying for this chap to come over will help you. I can assure you he is going to give the same answer as any other 'expert', god I hate that word.

Yep, that is a PitBull Type dog and in my expert opinion Champ is unlikely to be aggresive to...........blah, blah

or

Yep, that is a PitBull Type dog and in my expert opinion Champ is likely to be aggresive to.............blah, blah

Have a look at the link I posted about the guidelines about identifying these and other types of aggresive fighting dogs.

Dr Mugford will write you a nice letter to show to the DAFF Veterinary Surgeon, which I'm sure you'll present to said Department. To which the reply will be;

Is that a PitBull Type dog?

I suppose that at least we'll find out one way or another.

1/ It is or isn't a pitbull

2/ It does or doesn't have behavioural problems

3/ It's legal or isn't legal

Then what?

Simple.

If it IS a Pitbull, it's dead meat. Obviously nobody in Ireland wants it.

If it's NOT a Pitbull, or a Tosa, it lives.

But it obviously IS a Pitbull. So it's dead meat. Now we just need Mugford to certify the owner is a tosser, sorry Tosa, and we've improved the gene pool.

S

I sometimes wonder whether the government's softly-softly approach was the right one to take. All this milksop, weak tea faffing around, trying to please everyone doesn't get you any respect or followers in the long run - ask the Church of England.

If DAFF had impounded the dog and put it to sleep on day one then yes, you'd have had one outraged voice saying "They killed my dog!". The public would go "Why?", and their response was "Er, because we imported a breed of dog that practically everyone with a hole in their arse knows is illegal.", and they'd say "Serves you right then" and we'd move on.

Then what?

Simple.

S

not so, a pitbull rescue centre/sanctuary in ireland has offered to take it. so it doesn't need to die, it just needs its passport stamped.

Then what?

Simple.

S

not so, a pitbull rescue centre/sanctuary in ireland has offered to take it. so it doesn't need to die, it just needs its passport stamped.

lol Sebrof, you really know how to be subtle :rolleyes:

The dog however, is waiting for a decision which at one point, could have sealed it's fate through no fault of its own and I do wish it well in a place that can look after it in safety and which it is also safe to others. This may or may not be the feelings of other members, but its what my thoughts are now.

I saw this on the news last night, he looks like an ok dog. Would be a shame if he turned out to be a banned dog really. Where would a dog like that be 'in the wild', they have to of been some kind of wild dog at some point, maybe they could set it free in its home land, American Pit Bull, would hint at it hailing from the grand old USofA lets send him back there and release him back into the wild from whenst he came......

Any breed of domestic dog is not a tamed wild dog; there aren't packs of wild Dalmatians scouring the hills of Dalmatia, just as Alsace doesn't have a pack of Alsations scaring the wits out of local residents. Domestic dogs are the result of millennia of selective breeding (of Dingo-like wild dogs, if Martin Clunes is to be believed) by man so that they accentuate the traits that they need for the particular task in mind.

Likelihood is that the APB was selectively bred in America, hence the name.

Simple.

S

To quote a well used phrase "There's a boat in the morning......" Get this bloody dog on it so we can go back to having sensible conversations about white dog poo.

Now there's a question for you - what colour poo do Pit Bulls do?

Any breed of domestic dog is not a tamed wild dog; there aren't packs of wild Dalmatians scouring the hills of Dalmatia, just as Alsace doesn't have a pack of Alsations scaring the wits out of local residents. Domestic dogs are the result of millennia of selective breeding (of Dingo-like wild dogs, if Martin Clunes is to be believed) by man so that they accentuate the traits that they need for the particular task in mind.

Likelihood is that the APB was selectively bred in America, hence the name.

Which is why it's actually impossible to say "it's a pitbull" or "it's not a pitbull". But you can say "it's a pitbull type". They're not an actual species. Just a dog, who's ancestors have been bred in a certain way.

It's a bit like a man with really long arms having kids with a woman with really long arms, and their really long armed kids having kids with other really long armed kids, and then people calling them "long armed humans". Now, if one of those long armed humans has a kid with someone with medium length arms, and that kid has longer than normal arms, but not as long as a long armed human arms, is he a long armed human? I don't know but he's definitely a long armed type of human and he can tickle you up. Tickle you up real good.

post-1143-1221691888_thumb.jpg

Archived