[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

Liked that one....

Ok Geeks, off home now to enjoy my real life...not running away!!!!

You mean that you do all this at work while someone is paying you to do a job????? - YES, I HAVE A GOOD JOB

And.............

Doesn't spending all this time one here make you a 'geek' too? - NO, I HAVE A LIFE AS WELL

I think you might have missed the point about my question pertaining to your employment. I hope that you are self employed as I am sure that should be employed by someone else they would not be too happy about the amount of time you seem to be spending on this forum.

As for the second point; we only have your word for that! :P

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dog concerned in this statement issued today has already been in kennels for a year I believe - so it could be a long wait for Champ!!

Sad news for Bruce in Northern Ireland

Two weeks after the trial on 27th August, Bruce's owner was back in Bangor Magistrates' Court today, 12th September, to hear the judgment on her dog that would seal his fate. Unfortunately, after hearing evidence from both the defence (Dr Mugford and colleague Raymond Crilly) and prosecution, the Magistrates concluded that Bruce was of the type known as the Pit Bull Terrier and thus should be destroyed. As the 1997 Amendment Act was not incorporated into the Dangerous Dogs Act in Northern Ireland, if a dog is found by the courts to be of a banned breed then it shall be destroyed. Bruce's owner was understandably upset by this news and has lodged an appeal against the judgment. So for now, poor Bruce will remain in kennels and a date will be set for a chance for his owner to contest the destruction order. We will keep you updated as soon as we have more news

Liked that one....

Ok Geeks, off home now to enjoy my real life...not running away!!!!

You mean that you do all this at work while someone is paying you to do a job????? - YES, I HAVE A GOOD JOB

And.............

Doesn't spending all this time one here make you a 'geek' too? - NO, I HAVE A LIFE AS WELL

I think you might have missed the point about my question pertaining to your employment. I hope that you are self employed as I am sure that should be employed by someone else they would not be too happy about the amount of time you seem to be spending on this forum.

As for the second point; we only have your word for that! :P

Yes, self employed but glad my taxes pay for the Internet conncections of the people sitting on their arse all day posting on these forums.

As for your last post, I think it would have been wise in Champ's case to be rehomed in Ireland but then again I have already said that I don't particularly think the current owners are right for that dog.

Bugger......now you've got me doing this from home!

The dog concerned in this statement issued today has already been in kennels for a year I believe - so it could be a long wait for Champ!!

Sad news for Bruce in Northern Ireland

Two weeks after the trial on 27th August, Bruce's owner was back in Bangor Magistrates' Court today, 12th September, to hear the judgment on her dog that would seal his fate. Unfortunately, after hearing evidence from both the defence (Dr Mugford and colleague Raymond Crilly) and prosecution, the Magistrates concluded that Bruce was of the type known as the Pit Bull Terrier and thus should be destroyed. As the 1997 Amendment Act was not incorporated into the Dangerous Dogs Act in Northern Ireland, if a dog is found by the courts to be of a banned breed then it shall be destroyed. Bruce's owner was understandably upset by this news and has lodged an appeal against the judgment. So for now, poor Bruce will remain in kennels and a date will be set for a chance for his owner to contest the destruction order. We will keep you updated as soon as we have more news

I think this will be the outcome over here also.

The courts here, given the controversy will probably not take the risk.

The establishment here is only concerned with self preservation.

I don't have faith in a Government which needs two attempts to build a little roundabout!

Yes, self employed but glad my taxes pay for the Internet conncections of the people sitting on their arse all day posting on these forums.

Bugger......now you've got me doing this from home!

You will find many people on here are in a similar employment situation they too are paying their taxes (well some will be I'm sure)

That's it.............you are now an official geek.

People may use knives, dogs or whatever as weapons, we don't ban the other weapons as people have suggested we do to dogs.

We haven't banned guns or knives, you can legally own both with less effort than it takes to feed a dog.

There are plenty of laws regulating the use and possession of guns and knives. You're talking nonsense.

One death in the UK since Jan 2007? Can anyone think of any more (Don't cheat and use the Internet).

So using research to unearth facts is cheating, is it?

People may use knives, dogs or whatever as weapons, we don't ban the other weapons as people have suggested we do to dogs.

We haven't banned guns or knives, you can legally own both with less effort than it takes to feed a dog.

There are plenty of laws regulating the use and possession of guns and knives. You're talking nonsense.

One death in the UK since Jan 2007? Can anyone think of any more (Don't cheat and use the Internet).

So using research to unearth facts is cheating, is it?

It's still legal to own guns and knives, and using the internet ir=sn't exactly cheating but I was curious to know what knowledge people have before they enter a thread on a particular topic. If you have no knowledge prior, searching all your facts on google will hardly produce reasoned, and balanced, argument.

It's still legal to own guns and knives,

Yes it is legal to own guns (certain guns, under certain circumstances) and knives, and it is also legal to own dogs (certain dogs). Whilst it's obvious that pitbull type dogs are usually used by criminals to intimidate people they can't do that legally with guns or knives. A better comparison would be the legality of owning a polar bear or a tiger, i.e. a dangerous animal. Perhaps there is an argument for legally keeping pitbulls in a zoo (maybe it is legal, I don't know)

and using the internet ir=sn't exactly cheating but I was curious to know what knowledge people have before they enter a thread on a particular topic. If you have no knowledge prior, searching all your facts on google will hardly produce reasoned, and balanced, argument.

Why not? There are plenty of sources of reasoned information about dangerous dogs on the internet. In the days of the internet, you can't hide behind an argument of "I know better than you", unless you really do know better.

I wasn't really going to write anything, but all I seem to be seeing is one person having a chew of another and a response back that resembles a lot like a yoyo or something else which I'd rather remain quiet about.

I've lost track of where we are now, but whatever is said, it isn't going to change the facts of the case. The dog, 'Champ' (as cute and cuddly looking as pictures make him out to be) has been given a reprieve and located in a pet sanctuary before a decision can be made to validate the breed of dog and therefore judge whether the dog is legal or illegal. If legal, he stays and if illegal, then he either departs to a place who can legally look after him or he is put down (Is that about right so far?)

All the rest is different viewpoints and I suppose you could even consider this to be like tennis, the harder the hit, the better the chance of putting the other person on the wrong foot and a skilled shot usually wins the point. (Not too different then in my perspective, but then, who really cares what I say?) (say nothing or else :P )

Scottish Terrier, you're new to me or at least your username is and would just llike to say that I've seen many regulars contributing on the boards and with whom I've feriously debated my point of view against theirs from time to time and I must admit, on looking back at it all now, I have a big smirk about some of the things that were said.

Can I therefore politely enquire, (although I think I know) what is your angle on this and what do you hope to achieve?

Please note; It's a straight question from me and I have no axes to grind. (PM me if you want to)

If you have no knowledge prior, searching all your facts on google will hardly produce reasoned, and balanced, argument.

No, just factual.

and where was elvis last seen??? :rolleyes:

The, uhm, the internet? :unsure:

Don't know what anyone else thinks, but my gut feeling is there's a minor difference between googling where elvis was last seen, how many buses there are on the moon or who paris hilton's been shagging this week, than, say, how many news reports of dog attacks there were last year.

We've got a westie, and other dogs have "gone for her" sometimes when we're out walking, jack russells, a staffy once, there's a couple of dobermans up the road that could eat her in 1 mouthful yet don't even look at her as we walk past. Around our walking "zone" there's a couple who have 2 of those ugly bull terriers, the ones that look like cows, and the 2 dogs are always doing that slow-motion run, straining on the lead, and wheezing trying to get air cos the leash is strangling them. It's a lot to do with way they're brought up i guess, but they're still just animals and as such are quite unpredictable. While i'm sympathetic to the cause, and the dog, if its illegal, its illegal. If a westie goes for you, it doesn't hurt and you can kick its ass, if a pitbull goes for you, you need re-constructive surgery.

Archived