[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume you are referring to Satffy's, Rotties, etc.,

My experience is that owners of these types of dogs generally have them on leads. It's the owners of smaller or less powerful dogs who usually have their dogs off lead and out of control.

I don't know how many times I have been out with one of my Staffy's and have some offlead dog bounding up to us all excited with the owner shouting "don't worry he doesn't bite". My first thought is always I'm not worried, if he does bite, he's going home dead.

When will these idiots learn. Your dog may not bite but by jumping about all over a Staffy's owner, there's always a risk that Mr Staffy will taken offence!

I really find you a most contradictory person. One minute you are lamenting irresponsible owners and claiming that if only people would take responsibility problems with dangerous dogs wouldn't occur.

Now you are admitting that you cannot control your dog in a situation which occurs every day in parks all over the country. I am most definitely NOT defending people who let their dogs run free, but it is a reality - a given in the training of any dog - but here are you not only saying that your dog would react aggressively, but you seem proud of this behaviour.

A well trained dog will not respond aggressively to provocation, will not escallate. It would seem that your dog is at risk at turning on a boystrous dog in the park.

Do you really claim that this is controlled, responsible dog ownership.

I assume you are referring to Satffy's, Rotties, etc.,

My experience is that owners of these types of dogs generally have them on leads. It's the owners of smaller or less powerful dogs who usually have their dogs off lead and out of control.

I don't know how many times I have been out with one of my Staffy's and have some offlead dog bounding up to us all excited with the owner shouting "don't worry he doesn't bite". My first thought is always I'm not worried, if he does bite, he's going home dead.

When will these idiots learn. Your dog may not bite but by jumping about all over a Staffy's owner, there's always a risk that Mr Staffy will taken offence!

I really find you a most contradictory person. One minute you are lamenting irresponsible owners and claiming that if only people would take responsibility problems with dangerous dogs wouldn't occur.

Now you are admitting that you cannot control your dog in a situation which occurs every day in parks all over the country. I am most definitely NOT defending people who let their dogs run free, but it is a reality - a given in the training of any dog - but here are you not only saying that your dog would react aggressively, but you seem proud of this behaviour.

A well trained dog will not respond aggressively to provocation, will not escallate. It would seem that your dog is at risk at turning on a boystrous dog in the park.

Do you really claim that this is controlled, responsible dog ownership.

You have obviously never owned a dog, your statements are very naive.

It's quite clear, I have my dog on a lead, another dog approaches.

I have never said my dog loves every other dog it meets however in most cases, out walking, vet surgery, he turns a blind eye.

However.....if another dog comes bounding up to me, there is a chance my dog will go into protection mode and defend. It all depends on how the dog approaches, if it comes slowly, tail wagging, there won't be a problem. If it sprints over barking, there will be trouble. Short of hanging him in the air by the lead, theres is not much you can do if they decide to fight.

The idiots who shout "don't worry my dog doesn't bite" should also take into consideration that the dog they are approaching might not like other dogs and possbily will bite.

Try picking on the idiots that let there dog run loose!

On MR site

Police are looking for witnesses to an incident in which a dog was seriously injured.

The two and a half year old poodle was attacked by another dog on Ballaquayle Road.

The incident happened around 5.20pm yesterday (Monday) outside Kinrade's Chemist, when the poodle was in the charge of its owner.

It was attacked by a fawn coloured bull mastiff type of dog who was with a youth who ran away after the incident.

He's described as being around 17 years old, around five feet in height and of medium build. He had scruffy short brown hair and was wearing a beige long sleeved jacket.

Anyone with information is asked to ring police headquarters on 631212.

Scottish terrier - if your dog is a known biter, for whatever reason, then it should be muzzled.

You cannot seriously expect every single other person that you might come across to be aware that your dog could attack. Perhaps in an ideal world every dog owner would have complete control over their dog and if they didn't then they'd never, ever let it off the lead in case it had an 'encounter' with a dog such as yours. but we live in the real world. If your dog is known to be violent in a situation them you make every effort to avoid that kind of situation or make sure that you are able to control / subdue your own dog if it encounters that situation. If you don't do that, then you're just as irresponsible as those whose happy, bounding dogs want to sniff your dog's backside.

Scottish terrier - if your dog is a known biter, for whatever reason, then it should be muzzled.

You cannot seriously expect every single other person that you might come across to be aware that your dog could attack. Perhaps in an ideal world every dog owner would have complete control over their dog and if they didn't then they'd never, ever let it off the lead in case it had an 'encounter' with a dog such as yours. but we live in the real world. If your dog is known to be violent in a situation them you make every effort to avoid that kind of situation or make sure that you are able to control / subdue your own dog if it encounters that situation. If you don't do that, then you're just as irresponsible as those whose happy, bounding dogs want to sniff your dog's backside.

Have you got a problem reading?

I have said my dog normally turns a blind eye to other dogs, he has never even growled in the vets waiting room!!!

However, if another dog approaches in the wrong way, there is potential for a fight to break out.

This has never happened to date so to say he is a known biter / violent, etc., is just ridiculous.

At the end of the day dogs are dogs and even mild mannered ones such as mine will eventually fight given enough encounters. Dogs will sometimes take a dislike to another dog for reasons unknown to us.

You say you live in the real world, unfortunately it appears it isn't on this planet!

I think you may require some medication!!!

What breeds do you class as fighting dogs?

Bearing in mind there isn't a huge population of Pitbulls on this Island, I assume you are referring to Satffy's, Rotties, etc.,

As for carrying illegal Pepper Spray, your just an idiot. You do know this is classed as a firearm. Hopefully the police firearms unit will get you before a "fighting dog".

Then again your posting is so ridiculous there's always a chance you've just been dreaming all along!

I think that this statement will lose you any creditability that you may have had.

Is this the type of thinking that you would be looking for in your 'responsible' dog owners?

If you are able to control your dog (as any responsible dog owner should be able to) then why would you allow it to kill another dog? If you are not able to control your dog sufficiently to stop it killing another dog, then perhaps you should question if you should own the dog at all.

I think you may require some medication!!!

What breeds do you class as fighting dogs?

Bearing in mind there isn't a huge population of Pitbulls on this Island, I assume you are referring to Satffy's, Rotties, etc.,

As for carrying illegal Pepper Spray, your just an idiot. You do know this is classed as a firearm. Hopefully the police firearms unit will get you before a "fighting dog".

Then again your posting is so ridiculous there's always a chance you've just been dreaming all along!

I think that this statement will lose you any creditability that you may have had.

Is this the type of thinking that you would be looking for in your 'responsible' dog owners?

If you are able to control your dog (as any responsible dog owner should be able to) then why would you allow it to kill another dog? If you are not able to control your dog sufficiently to stop it killing another dog, then perhaps you should question if you should own the dog at all.

Are you another one who can't read?

Read the statement, think of the context and look at the follow up postings.

I am not advocating setting my dog on another dog, mearly pointing out the dangers should a fight arise.

Anyway, if a dog running loose bites me, even if my dog isn't with me, it's still going home dead or as close to death as I can get before the bugger runs away.

However.....if another dog comes bounding up to me, there is a chance my dog will go into protection mode and defend. It all depends on how the dog approaches, if it comes slowly, tail wagging, there won't be a problem. If it sprints over barking, there will be trouble. Short of hanging him in the air by the lead, theres is not much you can do if they decide to fight.

The bit in bold doesn't sound like 'potential' to me. Regardless - that's just semantics. Whether it be for your dog or not, my points still stand.

I am not advocating setting my dog on another dog, mearly pointing out the dangers should a fight arise.

Anyway, if a dog running loose bites me, even if my dog isn't with me, it's still going home dead or as close to death as I can get before the bugger runs away.

As I've said before: you are a complete bigot.

It's all your way or no way at all.

TBH your reply to the above says all there is to say about you.

I had previously thought that there were one or two people on here who had taken you the wrong way, but that's no longer the case.

Anyone should be able to hold their hands up and accept when they are wrong and this is one of the times that you perhaps needed to do just that.

I at no point claimed that you were advocating setting your dog on another, perhaps it is you that 'can't read.'

If I were you I would have another read of your posts on here and then think about what it says about you that you are prepared to allow your dog (because you, as a responsible dog owner, are in control of your dog) to kill another. Regardless of the context in which you made this ridiculous statement, you made it.

As I've said before: you are a complete bigot.

It's all your way or no way at all.

TBH your reply to the above says all there is to say about you.

I had previously thought that there were one or two people on here who had taken you the wrong way, but that's no longer the case.

Anyone should be able to hold their hands up and accept when they are wrong and this is one of the times that you perhaps needed to do just that.

I at no point claimed that you were advocating setting your dog on another, perhaps it is you that 'can't read.'

If I were you I would have another read of your posts on here and then think about what it says about you that you are prepared to allow your dog (because you, as a responsible dog owner, are in control of your dog) to kill another. Regardless of the context in which you made this ridiculous statement, you made it.

I don't see at all what is bigoted about what I have said.

I, as a dog owner, would never allow my dog to run at another person or animal. I therefore expect the same of others.

If it does happen, and the dogs is friendly, I tolerate it.

If the dogs start fighting, of course I will try and stop my own dog but eventually this becomes dangerous.

When you are holding your dog on a lead, it is quite difficult to break up a fight.

There are therefore a couple of options:

1. Hold my dog on lead which will prevent him from defending himself and increase the risk of him and myself being bitten.

2. Let my dog go and potentially kill the other dog but minimise the risk to both him and I.

Sorry if you think this is bigoted but once control of the situation becomes impossible, I will go for option 2 every time.

Have you ever been at the end of a lead when your dog is fighting?

If you haven't, you should try it some time and you may understand what I am getting at.

Lastly, before anyone asks how I have experience when I have said my dog hasn't been in a fight, it's because I have owned a lot of dogs over many years. I know how your tiny little minds work!

My first thought is always I'm not worried, if he does bite, he's going home dead.

This is the wrong way round. It should be a dog owner's first thought that if their dog does attack and bite, then the dog may be had up for being a dangerous dog and may well be seized and end up being put down (and the owner possibly banned from owning another dog, fined, and having to pay damages).

You should look to the law to protect you and your dog, not dog-eat-dog killing power. That kind of wild-west 'me and my shotgun' attitude is part of the problem, not the solution.

Now perhaps what is needed and one should expect is for the police to respond to the recent attack on the poodle and treat this seriously, as they should with any dog attack. That way people and dog owners can feel that they needn't worry unduly as there will be consequences in the event of a dog attack. But the proper authorities are responsible for those consequences, not dogfights in the streets.

Archived