[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

I want to see some culling of teenage yoofs who cause needless violence every Friday and Saturday nights on the streets of Douglas. They are akin to packs of dogs so why not eh ?

What a waste of a healthy dog.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We kill perfectly healthy pigs, sheep, cows, chickens etc every day without a thought

That is an excellent point.

Yes but there's no cute photos of them wearing hats.

I want to see some culling of teenage yoofs who cause needless violence every Friday and Saturday nights on the streets of Douglas. They are akin to packs of dogs so why not eh ?

Me too!

Agree. But it's not the Government's fault at all, and it appears they have been more lenient about this than she or anyone else had any right to expect. They're not obliged to try and re-home it I suspect, but they made an effort to. They've even explained what steps they took to try this, which is more than can be said for the owner who has not said much about it at all and seems to expect that no-one will want to know what she's tried etc.

It's a shame that it came to this I agree, but I'm glad the government had the balls for once to back this up and do what they had to.

The alternatives were that they handed him back and said "Ahhh, don't worry, yes he's illegal but we're in a good mood so we'll forget about it", or that they kept him indefinitely caged up where he is away from his owner, and in a confined space, and presumably getting stressed and therefore ultimately more likely to misbehave on possible eventual release etc. That's even ignoring the cost of keeping an animal here that should not be here.

None of those options are satisfactory so I think they did the only realistic option they could, given that the owner was the person who should have sorted it all out.

As I say it's a shame but it could have been prevented ages ago, or avoided altogether if someone had not ignored the law by importing him in the first place.

Kept out this thread as wanted to see what would happen, Yep pointless, no history of violence at all, yet you see all these owners being dragged along by big dogs, hows that controlled?.... :rolleyes:

The pitbulls that have attacked are normally either trained (ie gangs, plenty of stories of that), or its a one off the same as any other dog, why couldn't they have an agreement that in public a muzzle could've be put on champ?

why couldn't they have an agreement that in public a muzzle could've be put on champ?

Maybe because the owner has a history of flouting the law when it comes to dogs?

Kept out this thread as wanted to see what would happen, Yep pointless, no history of violence at all, yet you see all these owners being dragged along by big dogs, hows that controlled?.... :rolleyes:

The pitbulls that have attacked are normally either trained (ie gangs, plenty of stories of that), or its a one off the same as any other dog, why couldn't they have an agreement that in public a muzzle could've be put on champ?

Exactly... dogs only attack once.. because their caught and put down after the once... so to say its never done it before or shown aggression is no agrument at all... and I go back to what I said before.. if you own an animal you should be made to sign a contract that makes you 100% accountable for its actions.

Exactly... dogs only attack once.. because their caught and put down after the once... so to say its never done it before or shown aggression is no agrument at all... and I go back to what I said before.. if you own an animal you should be made to sign a contract that makes you 100% accountable for its actions.

It didn't work when the law tried to make irresponsible parents accountable for the actions of their rubbish spawn.

Archived