[BBC News] Banned pitbull seized on island

Newsbot

It's been banned since 1991. If you bothered to read any of the information presented to you in this thread you'd understand that. That would, however, undermine your argument so you're conveniently ignoring this unfortunate fact.

Edit: Blimey. Beaten twice inside a minute!

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with everything you have said... I think that putting the dog down is a really extreme...

If someone high up in the government ie. a MHK had this breed of dog I'm sure a less extreme measure would be put in place...

As I said before the ban should apply to people trying to licence new pets.. not established family pets.

If they are so worried about this specific dog they should put specific regulations in place and if the are owners are seen to be in breach of the specified regulations then by all means confiscate the dog :-

Such regulations as

* the dog is not allowed around children

* must wear a musle in public etc

The dog doesn't have to be put down, if the owner actually cared about the dog this much why doesn't she get it re-homed and fight the order without fear of the dog ending up dead? Also if the dog is only 4-5 years old then she's brought it in as a new pet illegally, so your argument has no weight anyway! Saying that once it's an established family pet then it's fine is quite simply ignoring the issue that she has broken the law and imported a dangerous animal. It's not like she was unaware either, the dog licence has a specific caveat about pit-bull terriers, you can't miss it. She has broken the law, She got caught out and unfortunately the dog is the one that will suffer.

That said the story doesn't add up, if the dog was advertised on Manx.net why is she now so intent to keep it?

As for Knoxville...well done for adding to the debate, I mean adding the word cock in capital letters to the end of a sentence, why you are a comedy genius! :rolleyes:

15th January 2007

Dangerous Dogs

There has been discussion in the media about dangerous dogs following a tragic death in the UK. The protection provided by the Dogs Act 1990 has been mentioned.

As a further clarification to the public, the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry advise that as an additional safeguard, there is also a prohibition on the import of the type of dog commonly known as the Pit Bull Terrier and the type of dog commonly known as the Japanese Tosa (or Tosa) under the Wild Animals (Restriction on Importation, etc.) Act 1980.

This came into force on 19 June 1991 and includes the importation of such animals into the Island from the United Kingdom. Anyone in possession of one of these dogs, imported after that date would be in breach of the Act.

Contact name: Richard Selman, Wildlife and Conservation Division

Telephone number: 842335

It's been banned since 1991. If you bothered to read any of the information presented to you in this thread you'd understand that. That would, however, undermine your argument so you're conveniently ignoring this unfortunate fact.

if it has been banned since 1991 then why have the government issue licences for the past five years?

Beaten?!? didnt realise this was a competition... grow up.. I am simply trying to stick up for someone who has had their dog confiscated!

if it has been banned since 1991 then why have the government issue licences for the past five years?

Beaten?!? didnt realise this was a competition... grow up.. I am simply trying to stick up for someone who has had their dog confiscated!

Perhaps because she lied on the form? The licence form says on it that Pit Bulls are not allowed!!

Probably one of two things.

1 - An admin error at the govt. Staff didn't read the application form properly.

2 - The original application form didn't state the actual breed.

Either way, it was imported illegally.

Because the owner clearly didn't fill in the form truthfully. Did she put down that it was a Pit Bull Terrier on the form? Tell the truth now, there's a dear.

You're new to the internet right? I was pointing out that someone had already 'beaten' me to say the same thing that I did. You know, like someone might 'beat you to' something? This concludes today's lesson. That is all.

I'm sure your friend is delighted you're doing such a great job of defending her and adding licence fraud to her growing list of offences. Bravo.

Because the owner clearly didn't fill in the form truthfully. Did she put down that it was a Pit Bull Terrier on the form? Tell the truth now, there's a dear.

You're new to the internet right? I was pointing out that someone had already 'beaten' me to say the same thing that I did. You know, like someone might 'beat you to' something? This concludes today's lesson. That is all.

I'm sure your friend is delighted you're doing such a great job of defending her and adding licence fraud to her growing list of offences. Bravo.

Dont patronise me.. when im just trying to put across another point of view... not sure under what circumstances the dog was licenced but surely her vet would of advised her if the dog was illegal?!

Dont patronise me.. when im just trying to put across another point of view... not sure under what circumstances the dog was licenced but surely her vet would of advised her if the dog was illegal?!

Time to stop digging???

[Edit: Blimey. Beaten twice inside a minute! quote]Beaten?!? didnt realise this was a competition... grow up.. I am simply trying to stick up for someone who has had their dog confiscated!

you have put ' beaten twice inside a minute'.. so therefore I am right.. in my suggesting you think this is a competition.. not that he had beaten you to your point...

re-read your post before you think you can start patronising me.. good try though! A for effort ha

Dont patronise me..

I generally patronise everyone stupid enough to tell me to grow up. It's a knee jerk reaction. I've been to see a behavioral [sic] consultant about it and he said I'd be fine but I do have the odd lapse, you know how it is.

not sure under what circumstances the dog was licenced but surely her vet would of advised her if the dog was illegal?!

Well, I'd suggest you go find out before you drop your friend in any more trouble. All signs appear to point to her being absolutely in the wrong and until you manage to scrape together some evidence to the contrary, saying you're "not sure" about something quite important, you might be better reigning in your valiant, but fundamentally flawed, defence.

you have put ' beaten twice inside a minute'.. so therefore I am right.. in my suggesting you think this is a competition.. not that he had beaten you to your point..

You're wrong, move on.

Archived