[BBC News] Windfarm slammed by Steam Packet

Newsbot

Hardly a well considered response considering the energy issues currently facing the world.

Last time they were moaning about crab pot buoys.

Yeah, have to agree with Jim on this, Heysham is a shithole and there are no facilities for passengers there (nor train connections to the 'midnight' sailing). Ahhh but can the Ben dock anywhere else? are there any other convenient ports for freight? there are quite a few haulage companies with depots at Heysham (or near by) the cost of getting things here would be bound to increase if they ditched Heysham I'd guess.

I dont see why Mr Woodward felt the need to comment, who cares what he thinks? the farm will be built, surely he would have been better putting an objection into the planners before the farm was approved, rather than moaning after it was passed....that man is full of hot air, perhaps we could build a wind farm outside of his office.

I don't understand why they don't use the Mersey with both vessels. I would guess that a large percentage of customers travel straight back down the M6 from Heysham anyway, and it is only an extra hour at worst if you are travelling north. Warrington is a major freight hub, so Liverpool or Birkenhead would be a far better place to run the freight to (in my humble opinion).

If the Ben could dock at one of the docks nearer the mouth would be spot on. Instead of waiting an extra 45 minutes while you crawl through the river.

Only problem is the ben might hit the seacat and then we would be stuffed !

seriously though it makes sense move the lot to Birkenhead and get out of that hellhole at heysham or is it heesham :lol:

Personally, sailing to Heysham is usually more convenient for more as I usually head north. Heysham isn't the prettiest place on earth but I don't really spend much time there. I suspect that Heysham is much easier for hauliers than Liverpool as its not far from a junction on the M6, opposed to Liverpool where you have to get through a large city.

Personally, sailing to Heysham is usually more convenient for more as I usually head north. Heysham isn't the prettiest place on earth but I don't really spend much time there. I suspect that Heysham is much easier for hauliers than Liverpool as its not far from a junction on the M6, opposed to Liverpool where you have to get through a large city.

Would agree with that. Any time I sail I always use Heysham. Having to travel to Liverpool would add another hour and a half at least onto my road journey from "the north".

Heysham port is ugly and depressing though, but I would still rather that than travel to a cheerful happy port further away. :rolleyes:

I think they would have a problem getting in 2 round trips a day to the Mersey.

I can't understand it being approved, aren't shipping lanes protected in some way ?, what if they wanted to expand the Burbo bank farm and block the Mersey with another 140 windmills, would that be approved too ?

It's not just the SPCo either, there's the other companies who use that channel to Fleetwood and Heysham and going to Warrenpoint and Belfast, if they all went elsewhere the ports may as well close down. What's wrong with moving the farm further north out of the shipping lanes

Maybe Viking has already slammed into it - gone into Belfast for repairs today, for damage it got last week - more damage? There's the Liverpool Stage, crab pots, and now what?

Back to the topic, shouldn't fares come down if the Packet gets compensation for having a windfarm built across its route? How on earth can anyone quantify the compensation for xx extra miles and xx extra minutes causing extra fuel burning, extra inconvenience to the public and freight, etc etc. over the next xxxx years? And shouldn't there be direct compensation to the public and freight users as well?

Who on earth allowed that monstrous bit of planning to go through? Is there an appeal process?

Archived