What's Going On At Castle Rushen?

Chinahand

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just going off the names of the board rings out that they're old farts and ugly as fuck middle-aged well-to-do bored wives that want to find ways to interfere and seem important and give meaning to their dull lives. Mr. R E Bankes-Jones, Mrs. B A Brereton Silverdene, Mrs. E Godby Paston, Mr. C S Lewin Highcroft, Mrs. Wooldridge Fernleigh etc. The day folks let these "brainiacs" start making decisions that effect your everyday life will be a very bad day indeed. They only have power because people are afraid and will tow their line because they waft the word illegal, ignore them and you take their power away.

Gosh, all that from their names alone - you're good.

Let them get you done, the fine will be cheaper than paying Thomas Cook's summer holiday prices.

They may just see children's education as being more important than saving people a few quid off their annual pilgrimage to the sun. I agree with them. Of course travel can, as they say broaden the mind and something like a study of Italian Renaissance Art would be most informative and beneficial. A project on the subject being submitted on the pupil's return would go a long way to justify the trip, if not altogether the timing of it. It's possible that you are more attracted to a fortnight's worth of Benidorm Gutbusters though which will only broaden the waistline.

I don't think they should be able to stop you, not everyone gets their holidays at the same times as their kids, I don't get my holidays until October half time period due to work commitments and this has always been OK in the past. We have already booked two weeks away in October some time ago and now find that if we go away we break the law.

You don't die if you miss a holiday you know?

They make no consideration for parents whose main employment is seasonal, Hoteliers, Steam Pct crew, Horse tram staff etc etc

..or people who work in schools, who have to pay through the nose for a simple holiday during holiday time.

If you want to take your kids out of school for a cheap holiday - you should be made to pay £1000.00 to the school so it can be divided up between the staff to offset their over inflated holiday costs.

And before anyone moans about teachers getting enough money - schools consist of teachers and non-teachers - all of which have to take their holidays during school holiday time.

How would parents react if a letter went home saying the loos are locked for the next 2 weeks while the caretakers and cleaners have a holiday! :)

How would parents react if a letter went home saying the loos are locked for the next 2 weeks while the caretakers and cleaners have a holiday!

Hmmm, now if only we could ask these caretakers and cleaners as to whether as children they only went on holiday during the times when the school was closed, or whether they were taken on holiday during term time. Then we could ascertain whether term time holidays can scupper educational conquests leading to menial jobs, or it's all a load of codswallop and a week out of school means bugger all in the bigger scheme of things.

And no I'm not belittling menial work before folks start yelling.

Neither the legislation nor the resolution render it illegal to withdraw a child from school for a holiday in term time

You should still ask in advance, the D0E is saying the answer will be no automatically.

So you go any way and what can they do answer nothing. As long as for rest of year you ensure attendance etc you are in the clear.

This is aimed at the fact a lot of pupils are now seeking holidays in term time, or worse not even asking, which can be disruptive to both pupil abnd cklass mates and teacher alike, and is a blanket policy if you have no breaks in term time you can more easily deal wioth those who diod not ask. I suspect that may be where it is aimed.

If you ask, and offer to make arrangemenst for catch up and some home work for holidays and the school refuses, who is in the wrong? They do not want the extra admin, ie teachers and staff, and with the tight timetabling for currricula you can understand why. BUt coud they prosecute you? No

As with all things i suspect it is a few who have caused cahos and taken the piss wuith time off every term who have ruined it for the rest, but as I say the resolution is worth nothing, other than being in teachers bad books.

Once more the DOE and the Minister cover themselves in glory. A year ago the Minister ordered an enquiry and a special inspection of CRHS. Result in December was a report commending the school and the headteacher. One year later and the DOE and the Minister are apparently trying once more to oust the headteacher of the best performing secondary school on the Island. Perhaps the Minister should consider her own position. And where are our fearless journalists ? What do the Governors say ? What do the teachers say ? What does the headteacher say ? What do the parents say ? Why aren't the reporters getting some answers ? What happened on Monday ?

Archived