Tourism Boost From Xl Demise

Dunroamin

"Could IoM benefit from travel chaos?

15/09/2008 08:53:34

Does the latest crisis in the travel industry offer a golden opportunity for the Isle of Man?

Tens of thousands of Britons were left stranded in foreign resorts last week, after the collapse of XL, one of the country's largest tour operators.

They spent much of the weekend waiting for a route home.

So it's possible destinations closer-to-home enjoy a revival next season, as families look to find holidays that won't evaporate.

Tourism Minister Martyn Quayle (pictured) says security is one advantage the Island can use to market itself (audio file attached):"

The above from today's Manx Radio website..........

God loves a trier...does he not relaise that people who go abroad with XL and the like go because at the end of it there is near enough guaranteed sunshine and because the price paid gives a great deal more than just value for money.

Compare this to delayed and over priced air travel to the Island with far from guaranteed weather (fires and heating being used in August) and I think you will see that this is very unlikely to benefit the IOM - unfortunately!!

As for security being used, you really do have to laugh! The security checks at Ronaldsway are the most invasive of any that I have come across. Last week I did six flights from five different airports, in the UK and Europe, and the only one to INSIST on removal of belts and shoes was Ronaldsway (who I am delighted to see have now deigned at long last to suppy plastic bags to allow another stupidy)! Of the other airports, some randomed sampled and others did not bother at all......Indeed to argue that one is more secure in the Island is also not true as I for one would not welcome the idea of walking around Douglas reasonably late at night!!

Howver, good luck and I hope that the straws are well and truly grasped!!!

Take a scheduled flight to any southern European country, find a small hotel via the web and it'll be far cheaper and less expensive than the Island.

Only a fool would come to the Island for the weather. I'll be over late October...

Never thought of that....must be hard to sunbathe though?

Who wants to lie around doing nowt? Boring waste of time, get off your arse and do something!

I think he's right, as travel becomes more expensive, people will look to nearer options. Look at this weekends end2end, 600 entries, many visitors travelling over for this event. The islands well placed for picking up this kind of tourist if we can keep our ferry service reasonable.

So it's possible destinations closer-to-home enjoy a revival next season, as families look to find holidays that won't evaporate.

Tourism Minister Martyn Quayle (pictured) says security is one advantage the Island can use to market itself

I think he is using security in the sense that the Island offers a secure route without people losing their holidays, because companies don't go bust...

Er hello? Martyn? Where's my f**kin £170 from euromanx that I lost earlier this year? What about all the tourists booked on Euromanx that were bumped, out of pocket?

I flew from Gatwick to the IOM a few weeks ago. Went through Gatwick security and they didn't need shoes - "great" I thought, until I went to leave the security area and they then had another scanning machine just for shoes which everyone had to take off and have scanned through the machine......

Bad weather isn't the end of the world, certainly not the end of a holiday. People need to change their attitude and put a bloomin coat on.

Who wants to lie around doing nowt? Boring waste of time, get off your arse and do something!

I'm on your side as I'm not a fan of lying in the sun doing nothing.

However I do enjoy the sun and it's gonna be hard to change peoples minds around on that one, weather is an issue for a lot of people. Folk like the change of having good weather for a couple of weeks. Also if I lived in the UK and I couldn't go abroad, I'd take a drive somewhere like the Scottish Highlands, Lake District, New Forest, Devon/Cornwall, Wales etc. etc. all without the added expense of the travel on and off the Island to do the same sort of things (usually in a crappier way) in the same weather conditions.

On the flip side I have recently taken a UK national Kitesurfing Magazine around the Island to do an article about the place being an alternative UK destination. Their view is less people are travelling abroad because of the credit crunch, so they are promoting UK spots (oops I said UK - you guys can go off on a tangent and bleet about it not being part of the UK if you like!). They spent 3 days here, a couple of days with me and a day looked after by the tourist board (in fairness they did a good job). The result from 4 lads from the UK, 1 of them being the UK's No.1 professional, loved the place. Got some great pics, loads to stuff in an article and generally had good things to say about the place. They came totally unblinkered with no preconceptions, and left wanting to come back.

I talked to them about the cost to get here with equipment and we compared it with one of the popular close destinations for Kitesurfing - Tarifa. They looked at the pros and cons and in the end they were pretty happy coming here cos they said - "We got on the ferry at 11am and were kitesurfing in Castletown at 3pm".

Article should be out next month - I'll link a copy when it is.

I flew from Gatwick to the IOM a few weeks ago. Went through Gatwick security and they didn't need shoes - "great" I thought, until I went to leave the security area and they then had another scanning machine just for shoes which everyone had to take off and have scanned through the machine......

My shoes were "done" at Liverpool airport recently. Seemed to be either they didn't like my face, or it was a random sample.

My shoes were "done" at Liverpool airport recently. Seemed to be either they didn't like my face, or it was a random sample.

Might have been the smell.

Reminds me of the time I was in London and there were bombs going off, rung in to say we may be delayed getting out of town and the reason why. Response was something along the lines of "Great, maybe firms will feel safer here and we'll make some money". Sad attitude to take to someone else's suffering.

Reminds me of the time I was in London and there were bombs going off, rung in to say we may be delayed getting out of town and the reason why. Response was something along the lines of "Great, maybe firms will feel safer here and we'll make some money". Sad attitude to take to someone else's suffering.

it is but that is life,

one persons suffering is anothers life line, its never been any diffrent and dowt it change much in time

"Could IoM benefit from travel chaos?

15/09/2008 08:53:34

Does the latest crisis in the travel industry offer a golden opportunity for the Isle of Man?

Tens of thousands of Britons were left stranded in foreign resorts last week, after the collapse of XL, one of the country's largest tour operators.

They spent much of the weekend waiting for a route home.

Tourism Minister Martyn Quayle (pictured) says security is one advantage the Island can use to market itself (audio file attached):"

The above from today's Manx Radio website..........

God loves a trier...does he not relaise that people who go abroad with XL and the like go because at the end of it there is near enough guaranteed sunshine and because the price paid gives a great deal more than just value for money.

Compare this to delayed and over priced air travel to the Island with far from guaranteed weather (fires and heating being used in August) and I think you will see that this is very unlikely to benefit the IOM - unfortunately!!

As for security being used, you really do have to laugh! The security checks at Ronaldsway are the most invasive of any that I have come across. Last week I did six flights from five different airports, in the UK and Europe, and the only one to INSIST on removal of belts and shoes was Ronaldsway (who I am delighted to see have now deigned at long last to suppy plastic bags to allow another stupidy)! Of the other airports, some randomed sampled and others did not bother at all......Indeed to argue that one is more secure in the Island is also not true as I for one would not welcome the idea of walking around Douglas reasonably late at night!!

Howver, good luck and I hope that the straws are well and truly grasped!!!

Maybe they'll get round to doing a newspaper/magazine advert that actually shows where the IOM is and how to get here. Most people don't know.

It would be more useful than a brief advert on TV which costs £££££££££

Archived