[BBC News] Police target wing mirror vandals

Newsbot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shasto - I think if you'd had your own car vandalised by these scrotes, you'd be more interested. I had a door forced and quarterlight smashed in Douglas one night a few years back, and it cost hundreds to put right (but, typically, not quite enough to lose my NCB over).

There seems a huge increase in this sort of vandalism and criminal damage recently, and I think it's about time it was robustly targeted and stopped - so we should welcome any initiative to do that.

It's also time an example was made by the courts....ideally a disproportionately harsh punishment that's more commensurate with the upset caused to innocent people, rather than a caution, a modest fine payable at leisure or another soft option

I've had it done to my car when I parked up by Glen Falcon one night, and an aerial snapped off too.

Insurance weren't arsed about it so I had to cough up myself to get new parts & get the new mirror painted.

Little shits. They deserve to have the broken mirror glass rubbed in their eyes.

The vandals that is, not the insurance company. They're usually quite helpful in fairness.

Well, if these 'scrotes' had something to do, perhaps when wouldn't go around making all this big news.

"I had a door forced and quarterlight smashed in Douglas" - it must have been an traumatic experience, I feel for you & your family...

Cool, look at the wiseguy with his "don't have anything to do = vandalism" statement. Nicely done shasto100 you showed him innit.

Oh God, not the 'nothing to do' argument! How about the little scrotes taking a little responsibility for their own actions and their own entertainment?

My daughter often complains that there isn't very much to do, but she and her friends seem to occupy themselves without causing damage to anyone else's property.

"Simply tucking in wing mirrors and retracting aerials can prevent a significant amount of crime."

Yes certainly stopped terrorism, money laundering, drug dealing and Hitler didn't it?

Well, if these 'scrotes' had something to do, perhaps when wouldn't go around making all this big news.

"I had a door forced and quarterlight smashed in Douglas" - it must have been an traumatic experience, I feel for you & your family...

When you have to cough up a few hundred quid yourself that you can't really afford to spare, and that's probably taken you days of hard work to earn, to sort out damage caused by some little toerag in a split second because they're 'bored', you might just understand why people get so angry about this pointless shit.

When you have to cough up a few hundred quid yourself that you can't really afford to spare, and that's probably taken you days of hard work to earn, to sort out damage caused by some little toerag in a split second because they're 'bored', you might just understand why people get so angry about this pointless shit.

Couldn't agree more, well said Cret :thumbsup:

It's also time an example was made by the courts....ideally a disproportionately harsh punishment that's more commensurate with the upset caused to innocent people, rather than a caution, a modest fine payable at leisure or another soft option

Although I recognise that such vandalism causes upset and has to be stopped, I don't agree with the idea that the punishment should be disproportionate, it would be unfair and impractical. It would be wrong for the courts to make an example of an individual, just the once, by levelling a very severe sentence for the purpose of setting an example. It would also assume that by giving harsher sentences to a few people it will deter others.

But I agree that fines are hardly an effective way of dealing with the problem. I somehow doubt that the people causing such vandalism are those with money and cars, so fining them would seem to me to make it more likely that these people vandalise things again.

Why is vandalism on the rise?

Although I recognise that such vandalism causes upset and has to be stopped, I don't agree with the idea that the punishment should be disproportionate, it would be unfair and impractical. It would be wrong for the courts to make an example of an individual, just the once, by levelling a very severe sentence for the purpose of setting an example. It would also assume that by giving harsher sentences to a few people it will deter others.

But I agree that fines are hardly an effective way of dealing with the problem. I somehow doubt that the people causing such vandalism are those with money and cars, so fining them would seem to me to make it more likely that these people vandalise things again.

Why is vandalism on the rise?

[RANT] And what about the upset they have caused the car owner isn't that unfair and impractical, what a load of bollocks, fine tham heavy and make them pay ever penny of the damage plus compensation for the inconvenience then a little comunity service, inconsiderate little shits [/RANT]

Archived