[BBC News] Governor's Bridge works to start

Newsbot

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the lights are a nuisance but they seem to be doing quite a nice job of it. Begs the question why it wasn't done thus in the first place. It will be much more fun driving over the red bit now as it has a decent gradient on it. I can see me doing Governor's to Corkhills on two wheels, a bit like that boring git on the prom in TT week that Roy Moore tries desperately but consistently fails to big up.

Victor Meldrew mode: "I do not believe it!"

The lumpy bit is as big as the red bit was, and so there is still only one lane round with 2 narrow lanes entering at each point. There will almost undoubtedly be accidental comings together in busy periods. Lorries (and buses?) going straight across from the Douglas side towards Onchan, and from Governors turning right towards Douglas, will have to mount the lump, so their back ends will end up with a crazy tilt.

WHO designs these things? :angry:

Current design means that on approaching the roundabout from Victoria Road direction, and driving in the lane towards Governors Hill... I have to wait until any car in the adjacent lane has gone through the roundabout before I continue. Time and time again I have been very glad that I have done so, as time and time again, another vehicle driving straight-on to Onchan has driven half a car length into my lane.

It is ridiculous. Do they want us to crash? Driving 'normally' will surely create an accident. The only way to avoid an accident is to avoid normal two-lane roundabout procedures.

If only I didn't have to use this rounabout 4+ times a day!

I have not seen it yet, but it sounds like the arse of a job that the Bus Station Roundabout is. Coming from the Prom the 2 lanes come into the roundabout, but due to those daft cobbles that nobody wants to drive over, people going straight on cut over into the left turn lane.

I have not seen it yet, but it sounds like the arse of a job that the Bus Station Roundabout is. Coming from the Prom the 2 lanes come into the roundabout, but due to those daft cobbles that nobody wants to drive over, people going straight on cut over into the left turn lane.

That's the point, you're apparently not supposed to drive on the cobbles, it's by design.

That's the point, you're apparently not supposed to drive on the cobbles, it's by design.

cobblers to the "designers"

This morning, not only do they have traffic lights at Governor's Bridge round about, but first thing they also had lights just past Sign Post Corner by Birchill. Some idiot bloke in a silver car (possibly a golf) must have either not seen the traffic lights or tried to get through them as they changed, but he ended up driving his car along the pavement to avoid the traffic coming towards him through the green light from the other side - not a very clever thing to do on a rainy morning right, near to a school where children would be walking as only one pavement was open. If a bus or a lorry had been coming down it would have taken the side of his car off!!

Yeah, think those traffic lights will be there for a few more days... plus they will be starting work near School Road in Onchan. More traffic lights.

They must think it's a good idea to try and get everything done in one go....

Yeah, think those traffic lights will be there for a few more days... plus they will be starting work near School Road in Onchan. More traffic lights.

School Road? But that's not on the TT course? Surely some mistake?

Hate the junction of school road to main road by the way, it's bloody stupid to have a wide sweeping entrance like that which encourages cars to maintain speed going up there, bloody hard place to cross the road if you're on foot and the kids can't easily see over the new wall to the commissioners to see what's coming along main road. Badly thought out.

Maybe thats how the DoT are going to cure the problem of bad road planning/layout in Douglas, when you think of it it's a stroke of genius, Think about it, just stop any and all traffic entering Douglas and this will cure all of the traffic problems in one foul swoop,

:w00t: :w00t: DoT for the Win :w00t::w00t:

Archived