How Safe Are Manx Banks

Lee54

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the govt guarantee £15k of your savings, not great but better protection than you get in the UK. I could be wrong, but I can't find anything online and need to go for a massive poo right now.

How is paying up to 75% of the first £20k (ie. a maximum of £15k) better than paying 100% of the first £35k (ie. £35k)?

Or, if you had funds in Northern Rock, 100% of the full balance.

At least the IOM is better than Jersey who don't offer a compensation scheme.

Allan Bell was asked this question today on the Stu Peters Show, never caught the full show or story but he would not give any Guarantees when asked how safe is our savings in Local Banks. Anyone have the full story.

The government reviewed the Manx depositor protection scheme a few months ago, and made the decision that although it is considerably lower than the UK scheme (max £15k as opposed to £35k [rising to £50k in 2009] in the UK) it is adequate at this time. The banks agreed with that policy. The assumption was that foreign depositors using the IOM were well over the £35k limit anyway so any increase was irrelevant.

There was something in the Examiner about it.

How is paying up to 75% of the first £20k (ie. a maximum of £15k) better than paying 100% of the first £35k (ie. £35k)?

It's not.

If that was a rhetorical question, you obviously missed the part where I put "I think" and "I could be wrong".

Did you enjoy your massive poo?

. . . . and need to go for a massive poo right now.

When I work on contract on an hourly rate I always try to incorporate my bog visits during work time so that I can evaluate exactly how much I got paid for taking a dump.

When I work on contract on an hourly rate I always try to incorporate my bog visits during work time so that I can evaluate exactly how much I got paid for taking a dump.

That's common with contractors, in my experience. Curiously enough they are all still full of shit though.

Archived