How Safe Are Manx Banks

Lee54

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These days the 'Bank Of Under The Mattress' is the safest one around - something to sleep on whilst you ponder the security of the others....

re: Spreading it around

... but if savers only withdraw in order to spread their savings around, then some institutions will gain as savers re-invest. Swings and roundabouts. A problem will only arise if people stop saving, or take out the cash and keep it out - under the mattress for example. Then the real winners are the burglars! I'm off to buy a jemmy, striped jersey, swag bag and stocking mask!

Better to lose 6% than 100% though, surely.

Whether the removal of your stash be Pontius in fancy dress or some fat-cat financier in his fancy dress of red braces and those ridiculous pointy shoes. Which strangely enough is where my (non-Island based) pension went - matter right now being investigated by SFA and SFO .

Better to lose 6% than 100% though, surely.

Whether the removal of your stash be Pontius in fancy dress or some fat-cat financier in his fancy dress of red braces and those ridiculous pointy shoes. Which strangely enough is where my (non-Island based) pension went - matter right now being investigated by SFA and SFO .

No, because my mattress doesn't have £15k of protection.

Pension: it was invested not banked I'm guessing?

On GMTN this morning they interviewed a top money expert and the advice given was to spread any money you have saved around different Banks. Surely this cant help the situation if savers start panicking and start withdrawing funds.

Reference the expert, wouldn't that defeat the object of having high interest accounts and the more money you have in one account, then the higher the percentage return?

Question.

Barclays Bank Offshore.

Does that come under Manx or UK DCS if things go wrong?

Manx, as they're operating under an FSC license:

http://www.barclays.com/international/ii_isle_of_man.html

DEPOSITS MADE WITH OFFICES OF BARCLAYS PRIVATE CLIENTS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED IN ISLE OF MAN ARE NOT COVERED BY THE UK FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPENSATION SCHEME.

DEPOSITS MADE WITH AN ISLE OF MAN OFFICE OF BARCLAYS PRIVATE CLIENTS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED ARE COVERED BY THE DEPOSITORS COMPENSATION SCHEME CONTAINED IN THE BANKING BUSINESS (COMPENSATION OF DEPOSITORS) REGULATIONS 1991.

Depositor's Compensation Schemes apply to the location of the account, therefore if you hold a Barclays account in the UK, that account is covered by the UK DCS and if the account is with Barclays Offshore, depending on which island the account is held depends on the DCS it falls under.

Archived