Term Time Holiday Ban

Cronky

At our child's school there is another child from another country who,s parents are granted a lot of time of for their child to accompany them to attend religious events in their home country, and is off school on a regular basis during the term.

Like LDV, I am very curious about this. Please could you give some more info about this Lee54. (It is 'on topic' - after all its about time off out of term - but for specific reason).

He's made it up. It's not true. Hence why he wants to stop talking about it and get 'back on topic'. His bullshit has been well and truly called.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At our child's school there is another child from another country who,s parents are granted a lot of time of for their child to accompany them to attend religious events in their home country, and is off school on a regular basis during the term.

Like LDV, I am very curious about this. Please could you give some more info about this Lee54. (It is 'on topic' - after all its about time off out of term - but for specific reason).

He's made it up. It's not true. Hence why he wants to stop talking about it and get 'back on topic'. His bullshit has been well and truly called.

The child in question is from Pakistan and is a good friend of our child, The child is from a good friendly family who appreciate the Manx way of life. The father is in the Medical profession. I don't think posting the families name or the location of the school the child attends is a good idea. As I said I don't want to get involved in any race or religious debate.

Wouldn't you think that this lot would be fed up of making brave statements and then immediately backing down?

Serial U-Turners, the lot of 'em!

This kind of thing seems to be happening so frequently now - residential care, all-island speed limit and now this. Who is making these 'policy statements' and then reversing? Are they really 'policy' decided at ministerial level, or are the civil servants deciding what should be policy only to be knocked back when the relevant minister sees what has been done and the public dissatisfaction that follows?

Either way, they are symptoms of a weak government machine.

As for this particular matter, I agree that children should only be kept away from school in exceptional circumstances and should not be done lightly, but on the other hand, I do understand that taking holidays during the school holidays can be prohibitively expensive, particularly when you add on the premium of living on the island which involves an extra £500 plus for us, as a family, to position ourselves in the UK to take a foreign holiday.

ATEOTD it's a storm in a teacup - the Minister admitted that if you insist on taking your child out of school during term time, there's bugger all the DoE can do to stop you. The difference is that in future the school won't dole out automatic passes unless you make a strong case for one - and getting cheaper flights probably won't cut the mustard. Worst case seems that it will be recorded as being AWOL, and people will be a bit cross.

Lost login - I take your point, although with driving standards I'm all for regular testing and medicals for ALL of us, and unlike an all-island speed limit, parents who abide by the rules won't be affected by this scheme anyway, which wasn't the case when some of us opposed the DoT's speed propaganda.

While on the subject of education, why is the abortion rate so high on the Island, anything to do with out of term holidays.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abo...-isleofman.html

Am I understanding this report right - there are no abortion services available on Island?

As far as I know, abortion is still illegal on the Island, except for when the child is unlikely to survive, the mother's health is at risk, or the pregnancy results from rape (that was enacted in 1995).

As far as I know, abortion is still illegal on the Island, except for when the child is unlikely to survive, the mother's health is at risk, or the pregnancy results from rape (that was enacted in 1995).

That's one thing I didn't know...then again if it's illegal how come they're actually getting done. I wonder how we got onto this subject. :huh:

That's one thing I didn't know...then again if it's illegal how come they're actually getting done. I wonder how we got onto this subject. :huh:

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I think if the abortion is performed in England it's covered by English law, under which it's lawful, and can't be prosecuted for when returning to the Island.

While on the subject of education, why is the abortion rate so high on the Island, anything to do with out of term holidays.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abo...-isleofman.html

Christ someone must be making a fortune out of ilegal private procedures, I thought women had to leave the Island for an Abortion.

On a serious note, The Isle of Man is very quick to adopt laws from the UK without really thinking about them, so whi is abortion still ilegal, surely it's upto the woman to decide if she is fit to keep it?

Oh my god I can't believe the subject of school holidays managed to start a debate about abortion!!!! Lets start a new thread if we're gonna talk about that please!!! I don't want to take my daughter on her hols during term time cos I can't afford it!!! Apart from TT week we seem to have the same hols as uk schools which makes it much more expensive to go on our hols :-(

Archived