Credit Crunch

Port Erin

I've heard from well placed sources that Harmony Homes laid off 3 staff this week, and Crystals are closing their Onchan office.

This is just the start of things to come, and it makes me laugh to think that so many people are under the illusion that the IoM is immune from the world's problems and we'll all be fine here.

The overpriced coffee shops and sandwich shops will be hit next, followed by pubs and restaurants...they will all fall like dominoes and 2009 will be interesting over here.

It probably won't be such a bad thing, if it shakes this Island up from its complacent slumber.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard from well placed sources that Harmony Homes laid off 3 staff this week, and Crystals are closing their Onchan office.

Three? There's one place laid off over 20 four weeks ago. Never hit the papers though. I often wonder what you have to do here to wake a 'journalist' up?

building work has slowed down over here and houses r taking a while to sell and some not selling at all, does anyone think the house prices will drop as quick here as they have been in the uk?

i did hear on the grapvine chrystals of onchan were closing because they are only selling 3 to 4 houses a month in the last 3 months, don't kno how true that is.....

i think our pubs r goin 2 find it very hard over the winter with the no smokingnespecially those that have no sheltered areas 4 smokers, i am a smoker and use 2 go out 2-3 times a week but now i stay at home, how many other people r doin the same thing.

i really do dread this winter for local business and in 20 years living here this is the 1st time i have had that dread.

Three? There's one place laid off over 20 four weeks ago. Never hit the papers though. I often wonder what you have to do here to wake a 'journalist' up?

How about telling them?

building work has slowed down over here and houses r taking a while to sell and some not selling at all, does anyone think the house prices will drop as quick here as they have been in the uk?

i did hear on the grapvine chrystals of onchan were closing because they are only selling 3 to 4 houses a month in the last 3 months, don't kno how true that is.....

i think our pubs r goin 2 find it very hard over the winter with the no smokingnespecially those that have no sheltered areas 4 smokers, i am a smoker and use 2 go out 2-3 times a week but now i stay at home, how many other people r doin the same thing.

i really do dread this winter for local business and in 20 years living here this is the 1st time i have had that dread.

House prices won't fall as quickly here as they have been in the UK. We can expect to see a levelling off and maybe a slight dip, but nothing to write about.

How we need about 8 Estate Agents / charlatans to service a population the size of the IoM, I'll never know. They're responsible for ramping up the price of houses to unaffordable levels, so I don't think anyone will be shedding any tears for them when the shit hits the fan.

The pubs here are finished for a variety of reasons; least of all due to H & B's business model, extortionate prices and incompetence.

This Island needs a good shake up anyway, and there are a lot of people employed in jobs that they would never get anywhere else - due to a distinct lack of quality management and leadership in the IoM. The majority of business decisions in the Finance Sector are made in Jersey without consultation, and you have to ask yourself why.

Adapt and you will survive...don't, and you will fall by the wayside.

u ever thought that these 3 were laid off because thay werent doing there job right,

i woulden think laying of 3 staff is a major thing to be honest, maybe 33 but 3 nope dont buy it,

u ever thought that these 3 were laid off because thay werent doing there job right,

i woulden think laying of 3 staff is a major thing to be honest, maybe 33 but 3 nope dont buy it,

According to their website, they have, or had, 23 staff. Three out of 23 is 13%. That's not an insignificant figure.

S

I've heard from well placed sources that Harmony Homes laid off 3 staff this week

You heard wrong......

One person is leaving (to move on to other things) but they have also just employed 2 others. I'm not sure who your 'well placed' sources are but they are a little far from the mark.

I heard that the local branch of AIG was letting everyone go. We've a Merrils too, wonder how they're getting on?

There is a shed load of work around though.

Three folks gone, some replaced. Must be a bugger training them. Or is it just me, am I daft in thinking their isn't much skill in walking folks around homes stating 'Spacious, accommodating, the light is fantastic, imagine what you can do with this room, roomy bog, kitchen WITH a sink, and nice neighbours, you can even hear them,' estate agents fuckpots the lot they are self-important cocknuts, more so than me.

Archived