Credit Crunch

Port Erin

Things starting to look a little more positive after weekend events (G7, G20, Australia etc.).

Australian/NZ markets starting to rise - let's hope it's a good omen for the other markets today, and that those waiting for the low, start moving in and buying all week.

I'm impressed with the UK's position through this crisis. They're certainly taken the lead and other nations are following. I'm a little worried about the assurances that mortgages will be kept at 2007 levels though, don't they learn?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm impressed with the UK's position through this crisis.

Some people are calling it Gordon Brown's Falklands War.

I keep forgetting that Alistair Darling is Chancellor. When John Humphries says "good morning Chancellor" - I expect it to be Brown.

I'm impressed with the UK's position through this crisis.

Some people are calling it Gordon Brown's Falklands War.

I keep forgetting that Alistair Darling is Chancellor. When John Humphries says "good morning Chancellor" - I expect it to be Brown.

When the dust settles there will be ample time to remind people who was chancellor when banks were permitted to create this mess. And who claimed credit for it.

S

Gordon Brown's Falklands!!!

FFS. Of all the people that need machine gunning for this crisis (and the list is a long one), he and Bush sit at the top of the list.

Calling these events Brown's Falklands is offensive to me. It's like giving an arsonist credit for putting out the shed in the garden of the manor house he's just burned down along with his arsonist mates.

When the dust settles there will be ample time to remind people who was chancellor when banks were permitted to create this mess. And who claimed credit for it.

Well he wasn't running the whole world and it's a global problem. The international finance sector had become so powerful that it could almost do whatever it wanted. Any govt attempting regulation would have been vilified in the press.

This is certainly a nail in the coffin for dogmatic, all or nothing, libertarian economics.

In the UK there are a few other failed businesses which could do with be taken into public ownership IMO. Eg the railways.

Calling these events Brown's Falklands is offensive to me.

It's Gordon Brown's Falklands

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Gordon Brown's Falklands!!!

FFS. Of all the people that need machine gunning for this crisis (and the list is a long one), he and Bush sit at the top of the list.

Calling these events Brown's Falklands is offensive to me. It's like giving an arsonist credit for putting out the shed in the garden of the manor house he's just burned down along with his arsonist mates.

According to the radio today a Nobel economist is saying that Gordon Brown could be the saviour of the world economic system.

Has anyone heard a 'leader' saying 'I had no idea this was coming...' If the politicians and public servants had regulated financial markets effectively, kept spending under control, reined in the growth of the Public Service etc... maybe we would not be at this point. Given how many experts are saying 'I saw it coming' there must have been a mountain of advice out there for GB et al long before the proverbial hit the fan.

The only parallel with the Falklands I can see is that as usual it's the innocent that suffer.

The only parallel with the Falklands I can see is that as usual it's the innocent that suffer.

I can see some parallels. Prior to Falklands, UK pulled out naval presence in the region, and this encouraged opportunistic and increasingly bad behaviour - first in South Georgia, then in rest of Falklands, until this erupted into full scale crisis and conflict with widespread damage.

Bad decisions regarding de-regulation leading to opportunism and crisis, and which now requires firefighting. Taking credit, not taking blame. Much the same.

It didn't erupt into full scale crisis at all. The Argentinians put a party ashore on South Georgia and raised a flag. When they arrived in Falklands the locals were more amused than afraid, no harm was done and rtourisits started visiting. An incredibly unpopular government saw an opportunity for some gung-ho action to bolster their elelction chances in a soon coming general election, regardless of cost and human lives. It worked out for them and the English suffered another 4 years of Thatcherism. The crisis was of the Tory party's making.

Ok - I guess you get the comparison but just in case ... the point people are making is that rather like Mrs Thatcher before the war, Mr Brown was an unpopular leader who stood the risk of being toppled by his own party. This big crisis has given him the chance to be technical and geeky about the economy without particularly needing to seem human. Although I noticed him cracking a joke which was actually quite funny the other day.

He is definitely having a good war. After the war Mrs Thatcher's position was unassailable.

with the credit crunch do you think the QB Ovalabout will get the chop ?

I think all 'desirable' and not 'necessary' projects should be shelved

Nah. It will still go ahead.

They just won't have the funds to put it right after they fuck up the first attempt

You mean like the Governors Bridge Roundabout, where they've even succeeded in f***ing up the 2nd attempt :angry:

Withdrawing Endurance, bringing in change to the islanders' status (to keep out the HK chinese) sent out a message to the Argentines that we were abandoning the Falklands because it was politically expedient to do so. They decided to invade because it was politically expedient to do so. Maggie et al got them back because it was politically expedient to do so. They also destroyed manufacturing, de-regulated the city and made a virtue out of greed because it was politically expedient to do so.

The only parallels I can see is that they are both Tory fuck-ups to retain power for the sake of it.

Now strange but true (Albert) it wasn't actually illegal for the likes of those managing Northern Crock to issue ridiculous 125% mortgages. Unsound business practices most certainly but illegal - no. With the economy seeming to be going well I guess there was little reason for the Gov to change things. Had they tried regulatory legislation accusations of unnecessary meddling would have been shouted from the (Daily Mail) rooftops. But you know something (Albert) I can't help thinking that back in the dim and distant past someone (Albert) posted on here that the prosperity under NuLabour was all down to the last Conservative Administration - but I can't be arsed to go look for it.

Archived