What's Your Faith, Or Lack Of It?

loaf

Belief in God  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can imagine that god exists, you can also imagine that there is something greater than god that that created him but doesn't exist, ergo, god doesn't exist

Proof, if proof be need be, that wacky logic and broken reasoning isn't restricted to the religious.

He doesn't exist. I don't call myself an atheist because it includes the word theist, which means god imaginer. I am me.

Absolutely, as a word it not only describes you in terms of something which you find patently absurd, but it also describes you in terms of something which you are not. That's why I tend to avoid "atheist" in favour of "humanist". It's like being asked what star sign you are - people tend to look a bit puzzled when they hear that I have no star sign, but it clicks into place when I start tearing astrology a new one.

erm HELLLO PEOPLE are you blind? God has joined the forum, wicked. Now I have a few questions for you, 1. About the tigers and Gorillas, Why do you make their lives so hard? 2. About my gran, now what was that all about? 65 is hardly 3 score years and ten, can you not add up? By my reckoning you owe me 5 years of my gran. Re-pay me now. & finally, 3. The monks in Burma. Whats that nonsense with the Junta all about, surely they are some of the best people living on your earth at this time, haven't they passed enough tests. Grrr, this is making me angry just writing it, imagine if there is a God and we do get to meet with St Peter and all that, I'll be there whinging and moaning on behalf of all the people/animals I think have been wronged. Ahhh yes, but there is a God and he posts on MF, so, God, what says you?

Much as I would like there to be a God and all the trimmings that go with him....you know....there just isnt.

Great idea Skrappey, it is a sign, it cannot be a simple coincidence - Stu Peters and MF as Gods very own 'right hand bwoys'. The Manx Forums smoking club, new church on the block (Oh yeah, giving up smoking was less fun than I could have ever imagined - I will stop smoking again one day when I am ready to be fully boring, my rebel smoking eh?)

Oh bonanaza, if I die from a smoking related illness it will be all OK and nothing to do with my smoking because it will be all 'Gods will' - so lets us all smoke, drink, get high and party, God is looking out for us :D

Religion, for me, is all about a basic human need to have a higher authority; when we are children, it is our parents, that is easy. When we mature, we need something that replaces that guidance/authority. But it is worth pondering, at this point, that even 'mature' adults adopt a differing status depending on the situation they are in; in some situations each one of us is very definitely the ultimate authority, (the 'parent'), but in others we all need the guidance of, or deference to, a 'parent' figure; the situation we are facing is just beyond the tools we have to deal with, or explain, that situation.

I think you make a lot of sense here, but in my mind I tend to see religion as not the result of a need for authority, I don't think this is intrinsic to humans at all, but rather the product of people's attempts to gain authority over others. In adopting a belief in a superior being and one in authority with its accompanying scriptures of what to do and what not to do, it just seeks to put you in your place and learn to accept authority.

But I think spirituality might come from peoples early attempts to make sense of their world, and such things that seemed wondrous were to have life and almost a consciousness, often believed to far 'powers' that surpass that of people. The belief in God might have been a simpler answer, just lump it all together and say it is the same entity that is behind it. It seems understandable to form this belief at the same, just so many are indoctrinated into it and hold onto it.

I was brought up a Roman Catholic but don't believe in the existence of God for one second

The bible is a nice story with some really good morals

shit ending though he dies in the end.

..but rises again on the third day. Granting us all everlasting life!

That sounds like a happy ending to me.

:P

Erm ... which books have you been reading - the ending is the destruction of the world, the deliberate manipulation of people's freewill to ensure they are dammed, and the torture and agony of the majority of mankind both in this life and for eternity.

Great ending!

Archived