What's Your Faith, Or Lack Of It?

loaf

Belief in God  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the ignorant trend of society looking at religious persons as being 'complete idiots' and 'incapable of independent intellectual thought'.. it's no suprise that most people consider themselves atheist.

And a lot of people who say "i do not believe" actually do.. ask them the same question when a miracle has just happened in their life! ...

Edit: As for me... I have prayed about some very important events in my life. I have prayed and requested a specific result. I have felt incredible feelings in those prayers that cannot be created, and I have had those specific prayers answered exactly. ...

Likewise if you find that there is a God - but in doing this - you will change your life! It is worth the effort.

No doubt people who prayed to Apollo sometimes had those prayers answered exactly. You seem to see a causal connection, and take this to confirm your belief in God. Can this method also be used to prove Apollo and other Roman gods existed? I've hoped for various things, and those have come about - what does that prove?

I've no doubt that believing in God would change someone's life. It would also change one's life to believe aliens have control over events in the world. Even if it were to change one's life for the better that isn't reason to adopt a belief, nor does it confirm the belief is true.

If someone believes a 'miracle' has occurred, which supposedly can only be explained by the divine, they are already disposed to irrational beliefs.

I've no problem with someone believing in God, and don't think many people have. The criticisms though are when religious people start to use pseudo-rational quasi-scientific arguments to extol their belief. It looks like you are trying to give reasons to justify your belief that God exists - however in doing so it only tends to make it seem that your belief is based on irrational and superstitious notions and faulty logic.

It is like people arguing that there is no possible rational explanation for the events surrounding the resurrection other than Jesus' divinity. I can think of a dozen ways in which the whole thing could have been a set up and why, and David Blane could probably think of a few more. It is also like the Isaac Bashevis Singer story in which someone disappears, and every rational explanation is argued against (no he wouldn't just go off - he had his own house and a cow), eventually to conclude he had just 'ceased to exist'. Such misguided attempt to use the 'evidence' of supposed miracles to 'prove' the rationality of a religious conviction generally makes the person's beliefs look just plain silly.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a believer. Hah, in case you'd forgotten.

Edit: As for me... I have prayed about some very important events in my life. I have prayed and requested a specific result.

I tried praying a few times, but it hasn't worked so far - you're clearly still feckin typing. Anyhoo there's still 6 or so hours left for a lightning strike today.

Edit: As for me... I have prayed about some very important events in my life. I have prayed and requested a specific result. I have felt incredible feelings in those prayers that cannot be created, and I have had those specific prayers answered exactly.

You should pray for the end of your wifes dirty phone calls then.

Edit: As for me... I have prayed about some very important events in my life. I have prayed and requested a specific result. I have felt incredible feelings in those prayers that cannot be created, and I have had those specific prayers answered exactly.

Your point is.. ?

Your point is.. ?

Your an over optimistic tosser.

Strong Athiest here. Never believed in god, no matter how much the education system tried to hammer belief into me.

I had to attend a baptism of one of my wife's nieces years back, and was horrified at the service. The vows taken by

the god-parents boiled down to 'yes, I swear i'll bring this child to christ even if it doesn't want to'. It smacked of cultism,

which I suppose religion is. Any religion starts out as a cult and just grows over time. Christianity anybody?

It amazes me how most religions renounce violence, yet religion is major part in wars. Not the world wars, but the middle east

springs to mind. The Balkans. The war on terror.

This is meant to be funny, but it has a serious message:

post-1687-1222288062_thumb.jpg

according to the manxforums poll a larger percentage seems to be atheist, why is this? are there more atheist here than elsewhere? do the religious wish to keep their beliefs to themselves? or is it because its Sunday and they are all at church!

Or maybe if you dull-witted enough to believe in the big sky-fairy, you are generally too stupid to use a computer?

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Archived