Chronicles

b4mbi

clicky

why didn't we just refuse to give them back after their initial 6m loan???

I'm sure we could have fended off a group of angry librarians? and I hardly think the UK would impose massive sanctions.

It's about time we had a "diplomatic incident" :)

(edit for lousy spelling...)

But the Ministry of Justice refused the request, restating its case that the British Library was forbidden by a 1972 Act from disposing of any items in its collection.

If that's the only obstacle then Parliament could pass a short Act to specifically allow the Chronicles to be returned. Excuses excuses.

IoM could cut off the foreign aid it pays to the UK as 'token of appreciation'. £2m p.a. should be enough to make people sit up and pay attention and make lack of appreciation felt.

Douglas North MHK Bill Henderson, who tabled the motion calling for the Chronicles' return, said he was .. 'angered and embarrassed' by the Chief Minister's response.

He said: '...This raises some very important points of principle regarding our constitutional relationship with the UK. They've told us to "go away little worm" and we've just doffed our cap.

Yep.

For once, I think the Government has got it right in saying, effectively - 'Sorry, folks, no chance'

Why? Because of the precedent it would set. For a start, the English would then have an almost unsustainable case for holding on to all the internationally important books that came originally from outside England (Scotland, Ireland and Wales will want theirs back for a start!) and then there is the British Museum ... goodbye virtually all its exhibits, starting with the Elgin Marbles and working onwards including the Iona chessmen, all the Sutton Hoo treasure going back to Suffolk ...!. What then about all the regional museums which hold non-local items - the national museums in Edinburgh and Cardiff? ... and so on it goes!

I don't think anyone could ever really argue that the English NEED the Chronicles. We do, but that means nothing compared to the bigger picture.

For once, I think the Government has got it right in saying, effectively - 'Sorry, folks, no chance'

Do you mean the UK govt or IoMG?

Why? Because of the precedent it would set. For a start, the English would then have an almost unsustainable case for holding on to all the internationally important books that came originally from outside England (Scotland, Ireland and Wales will want theirs back for a start!) and then there is the British Museum ... goodbye virtually all its exhibits, starting with the Elgin Marbles and working onwards including the Iona chessmen, all the Sutton Hoo treasure going back to Suffolk ...!. What then about all the regional museums which hold non-local items - the national museums in Edinburgh and Cardiff? ... and so on it goes!

I don't think anyone could ever really argue that the English NEED the Chronicles. We do, but that means nothing compared to the bigger picture.

Yes. And there's arguments for and against this. (a lot of which was covered in thread on the Lewes chessmen). But even if accept that the English 'unsustainable case' for holding acquisitions should not be disturbed, and even if show that the Chronicles were legitimately acquired, UK can 'loan' the Chronicles, and extend that 'loan'.

Another way round it would be for the BM to set up a branch in IoM (a bit like the Tate have regional branches). The BM still hang on to this. It might be a very small museum with only one or two exhibits (maybe adjoining another, or sited within Castle Rushen or the like).

In any case, the Chronicles are supposedly part of British Museum, but are cared for by the British Library (which the 1972 act seems to allow). Why can't they be cared for in IoM?

Not too much to ask given all the appreciation paid by IoM to the UK every year. I think £2m p.a. should encourage everyone to look very favourably on the suggestion that the Chronicles could be properly cared for in IoM.

Doesn't look like too much effort has gone into really trying to get them back.

Archived