16-year-olds In Pubs?

Lonan3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a disgraceful suggestion. So errr kids are on the streets breaking the law? How should Police respond? by finding a way of 'allowing' them to get away with it.

Isn't the alcohol age 18?

And as vee dub suggests, bending the rules to allow 16 year olds to legally get drunk (and waste their life) only brings the question - what next? those 13 year olds drinking on the street! what to do about them?

This is a completely irresponsible suggestion from a highly exemplary role and position in society. Extremely disappointed to read this.

What of kids who do drugs? Find a place for them to do it inside and legally?

Well which is better, having the kids making noise and apparently causing trouble on the streets or having them drink in an indoor environment where they cannot get up to the same antics and would be probably safer. By allowing them to drink in the pubs it also removes the surreptiousness and naughtiness that no doubt comes from their realisation that they are drinking below the age limit and are not allowed to drink in public.

They may be wasting their life getting pissed up at the weekend in a pub, but they would still wasting that life whether they are allowed inside the clubs or not. You are not going to stop these kids from drinking and getting hold of drink.

The Chief Constable of Police, an exemplary role? Oh no, definitely not.

I do think that regular drinkers will not like this at all, having kids who have just started trying drinking flying about the place and being silly. And the 'rough' Douglas nightlife on Friday or Saturday isn't the safest place for kids to be. You always hear stories of people being assaulted coming out of clubs and pubs.

Woho - alcohol with 16 - big deal. Go to Germany - with 16 you can legally purchse and drink beer, only hard spirits are 18+. The youth centre I went to for quite a few years used to serve beer - done within a controlled environment and any excess meant you're being barred from the place where all your mates hang out. Worked quite well in general - certainly better than getting sloshed in some carpark...

So, high time a proper, big, purpose built, professionally planned and staffed youth centre is being built. Might cost a few mill but will be worth it - make it so!

Woho - alcohol with 16 - big deal. Go to Germany - with 16 you can legally purchse and drink beer, only hard spirits are 18+. The youth centre I went to for quite a few years used to serve beer - done within a controlled environment and any excess meant you're being barred from the place where all your mates hang out. Worked quite well in general - certainly better than getting sloshed in some carpark...

So, high time a proper, big, purpose built, professionally planned and staffed youth centre is being built. Might cost a few mill but will be worth it - make it so!

What he said.

Plus, it's not just the location of where yoofs are that has to change, it's the culture, lack of control and lack of responsibility that have developed in parallel that need to be addressed. Properly staffed, policed and supervised yoof facilities, yes with not too strong beers available, would be a great idea to tackle this. The Summerland site turned into a monster yoof club, community centre and facilities, with a bar/food area where all of society (16+) can congregate, and learn from each others standards of behaviour would be a giant leap forward IMO. Add a TT museum, a cinema, a bowling alley, other facilities, a small community police office and a couple of shops and it would be an ideal place for all ages.

British society has become completely compartmentalised over the last twenty years, too ready to stereotype people as either: old, young, workers or scroungers - along with the venues they separately attend. This is a real cause of social breakdown IMO. Old people don't go to pubs at night like they used too for fear of crime, the young and high prices etc. the young have been demonised as complete drunken drugged up trouble making idiots, who are not welcome anywhere and have few places to go, workers don't want young people in the pubs they visit, and too many parents are complete tossers who don't even know how to bring kids up properly or even cook a meal properly and have no-one to turn to for advice - when the reality is that all of society has much to learn from each other, though will never do so the way the young, parents, workers and old lead such separate compartmentalised lives these days.

theres enough pissed knobheads in pubs already that can't control their violent tendancies, why add kids to the mix?? also consider that some 16 year olds could have 6 or 7 months of school still ahead of them in the mornings too, hangovers at school?? what ever next. a bar in the school canteen?? what gary roberts meant to say was that he is fed up with police resources getting wasted babysitting pissed kids in parks and wants them to be somewhere they can be legally so it aint their problem.

I've often been fascinated with the social situation regarding age. Hit 16 and you can smoke, have sex, learn to drive, leave school (that year anyway) and even leave home. But you can't vote or enter into contracts, and woe betide you if you try to drink alcohol in a public place. This situation seems completely stupid - pick an age of majority and stick to it. I personally don't give a rats ass if it's 16 or 18 or something in-between (I've got all the drinking, driving and voting that I need) but it needs sorting out.

I've often been fascinated with the social situation regarding age. Hit 16 and you can smoke, have sex, learn to drive, leave school (that year anyway) and even leave home. But you can't vote or enter into contracts, and woe betide you if you try to drink alcohol in a public place. This situation seems completely stupid - pick an age of majority and stick to it. I personally don't give a rats ass if it's 16 or 18 or something in-between (I've got all the drinking, driving and voting that I need) but it needs sorting out.

1. You can't buy ciggies here till you're 18.

2. You can vote here at 16.

1. You can't buy ciggies here till you're 18.

2. You can vote here at 16.

That list came off the top of my head, which is obviously a few years out of date and possibly based on what I learn about life via American TV shows ;-)

Kinda reinforces my point though.

Maybe we should legalise all types of criminal activity.

Then the police could get away with doing absolutely none of the things they are meant to be paid for

Terry

I think it's about time you stopped being so harsh on poeple who carry out what can be a very difficult job in very trying circumstances for our community. You can hardly blame then for trying to ensure that young people within our community are as safe as they can be.....

Maybe we should legalise all types of criminal activity.

Then the police could get away with doing absolutely none of the things they are meant to be paid for

Terry

I think it's about time you stopped being so harsh on poeple who carry out what can be a very difficult job in very trying circumstances for our community. You can hardly blame then for trying to ensure that young people within our community are as safe as they can be.....

Yes.

How silly of me to expect the existing laws of the land to be actively enforced

based on what I learn about life via American TV shows ;-)

You have to be a lot older to legally drink in the USA. It's 21 years old in some states and it can be rigorously enforced. I was denied service in a bar in Seattle a couple of years back because I didn't have ID on me to prove my age, and I'm 50

As far as I'm aware 16 year olds can buy beer, wine etc, but not spirits if they are having a meal - though maybe an adult has to be there too - I think in Scotland they don't?

I think the teaching of responsible alcohol use is vital - my kids will drink wine and beer in the house from a young age - I was given diluted wine when I was under 7.

Kids want to rebel and be subversive - I don't know how to make them all responsible, but getting away from binge drinking is vital - I'm not sure that opening pub doors to them will help that particularly.

Most kids want to experience what its like to be drunk - its a phase and as you grow up you get more responsible - I have to admit I'd worry that if pubs opened their doors to 16 year olds there would be more kids going beyond their limits, just because of inexperience and inability to read what their bodies are telling them.

At least by 18 most of them are done growing and are begining to get more body mass to absorb the alcohol. People cheat and are able to buy booze at a younger age, but those tend to be the larger more mature kids, and if it was liberalized no doubt alcohol use would go up.

Basically I'm happy with the status quo - stopping the underage buying the stuff at off licences seems a more productive way forward.

How about some responsibility from the parents? Something along the lines of 'failing to control your children in a public place'. The parents want to be able to dictate whether they can take their kids out of school time. Why not make that responsibility complete? If they can't ensure their kids obey the law then take it out on the parents. If Mum or Dad knew they'd be in trouble with the law if their kids break it then maybe they may just keep a closer eye on them

Archived