Iom Newspapers' New Editor?

Declan

Personally, I think you give the government too much credit. It can't run an incinerator / lay train tracks / build sewers proerly, let alone launch a conspiracy against the media.

Personally I don't give the government "too much" credit at all. But then I wouldn't ever accuse them of trying to silence the media either - because you'd never hear about it! A lot on here seem to think they do though...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But we're here to REPORT the news, not make it.

Stu - this may highlight what is lacking. News and reporting news is only part of the story - in a sense it deals with 'tip of the iceberg'. Current affairs is something else - as BBC say:

Their output gives audiences an in-depth look at the news. Current Affairs programmes step outside the realm of daily, breaking news to reveal a more analytical, long-form and long-range view of the world around us. The BBC officially defines Current Affairs as: "A programme which contains explanation and analysis of current events and issues, including material dealing with political or industrial controversy or with public policy. Also included are investigative programmes with contemporary significance."

To illustrate, take a recent news story - 'Island gets emergency expertise'. This news can be 'reported' - end of story 30" later. Now take a current affairs approach - the story opens up question of 'threat' of major incident and issue of Sellafield. A 30 min programme could consider danger posed by Sellafield (inc telephone interviews with nuclear expert, Greenpeace, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority spokesperson), look at how IoM compares to Ireland - and Ireland's nuclear emergency response (interview with Irish spokesperson on what they do), and ask experts about best practice for nuclear emergency response. Then delve into how well prepared IoM might be in event of nuclear disaster at Sellafield - what might be needed, what is actually in place and readiness (inc. emergency powers etc.). Ask the minister for a copy of the plans - and then get an expert to review these. This might highlight that IoM's emergency response capability is not all it should be - and bring attention to that. Bill Henderson MHK said Sellafield is possibly the single biggest threat to IoM - so ask him whether he thinks IoM is as prepared as it should be to respond to such a disaster. Now ask will the 'emergency response expertise' address any shortfall? If not how will this be addressed? Ask the minister what he will be doing about it.

The bland news report 'Island gets emergency expertise' and press statement by Home Affairs Minister is indeed reporting the news - but it doesn't go into anything beneath the tip of the iceberg. Current affairs need not be 'hugely expensive' (I'm sure no one will mind only having telephone interviews) and there are 'meaty stories'. Examination of the issue in more depth may raise issues of concern, debate, or political controversy - that is part of 'public service broadcasting'. At best this can be constructive and valuable by putting spotlight on issues and bringing about positive change. Complacent regurgitation of press releases does not do this. Has the topic of IoM's nuclear emergency response been 'done to death'? Is it not a significant issue of public policy that merits examination and consideration?

There are dozens of current affairs stories that could be taken up - there's plenty of material - all that is lacking are current affairs programmes which "step outside the realm of daily, breaking news to reveal a more analytical, long-form and long-range view". The issue is not one of gagging - it's rather one of being blinkered and thinking reporting news is good enough.

To anticipate your reply - Agenda and Perspective hardly cut-it as flagship current affairs programmes; consider if BBC Radio did a current affairs series covering IoM (albeit with modest budget) - how do you think MR's output would fare by comparison? Are there any examples of MR current affairs programmes that might have made politicians sit up and take notice, and which might come anywhere approaching journalistic excellence?

Skeddan - have PM'd you. Whilst I'm happy to talk in general terms and clarify misunderstandings, I'm really not the person to debate programming or resourcing policy with, and certainly not on a public forum.

The big story in this week's Examiner was headlined: Price of Petrol is not a Rip-Off

The response, from Bill Henderson, Chairman of the OFT, is that he’s not at all happy with the price of fuel in the Island.

LINK

He says he doesn’t want people to be misled and it’s simply not the case the Office of Fair Trading has found nothing wrong with prices. Its investigations are still ongoing.

Mr Henderson says in a recent meeting with representatives from Shell they were given information suggesting the company isn’t making excessive profits.

But he says this is at the point of wholesale only and there’s still a lot of work to be done in analysing the fuel cost situation in the Isle of Man.

More meetings are to be held with other companies.

If there is any evidence of excessive charging then the OFT says it won’t hesitate to call for an inquiry under the Fair Trading Act.

Is this a fair example of IoM Newspapers standard of reporting - rushing to exonerate big business with a front page headline that over-emphasises one side of the story?

Spend a few days in the Courthouse for a start. Forget the criminal crap and try delving into the Manx Civil litigation.

What really goes on there is not made public.

http://www.judgments.im/Content/Home.mth has now gone live

Reading the sanitised and somewhat myopic judments is one thing but attending the court hearing is quite another.

All the courts in the land - that is England and Scotland anyway - have court lists published each day. For example, we are familiar with the day's proceedings being listed outside of the Old Bailey.

On the Isle of Man there is no such transparency. In effect many of the seemingly 'public' court cases are in fact held in secret. (The huge flat screens on display purporting to indicate which judge is in which court is of limited use).

In the hands of a decent and, I suppose, very patient but interested writer, there is much of interest goes on in the Civil Courts to be reported. Personally though, I would suggest that this would expose the generally shoddy (but of course very lucrative) Manx Legal System for what it is.

The big story in this week's Examiner was headlined: Price of Petrol is not a Rip-Off

The response, from Bill Henderson, Chairman of the OFT, is that he’s not at all happy with the price of fuel in the Island.

LINK

He says he doesn’t want people to be misled and it’s simply not the case the Office of Fair Trading has found nothing wrong with prices. Its investigations are still ongoing.

Mr Henderson says in a recent meeting with representatives from Shell they were given information suggesting the company isn’t making excessive profits.

But he says this is at the point of wholesale only and there’s still a lot of work to be done in analysing the fuel cost situation in the Isle of Man.

More meetings are to be held with other companies.

If there is any evidence of excessive charging then the OFT says it won’t hesitate to call for an inquiry under the Fair Trading Act.

Is this a fair example of IoM Newspapers standard of reporting - rushing to exonerate big business with a front page headline that over-emphasises one side of the story?

I don't necessarily think there's any rush to exonerate anyone - I think it's just down to laziness. Cut and paste someone's press release, add a few bare bones facts to give some history, print the bugger. No effort made to canvass expert opinions, check with interested parties etc. Lazy journalism from ignorant journalists.

And don't get me started on that rag Manx Tales...

Jimcalagon - don'r want to get you started on Manx Tails, but......... :)

You have just reminded me of something which has been bugging me for some time. - WHY IS 'MANX TAILS' ADVERTISED SO EXTENSIVELY ON MANX RADIO?

I have always thought that the main purpose of advertising, is to persuade someone to BUY your product. But, since Manx Tails is delivered FREE 'to every household on the Island', why do Mannin Media spend so money advertising their product on MR?

(I assume, of course, that Mannin Media DO pay for their advertising on MR, in the same way as the rest of us do!)

Jimcalagon - don'r want to get you started on Manx Tails, but......... :)

You have just reminded me of something which has been bugging me for some time. - WHY IS 'MANX TAILS' ADVERTISED SO EXTENSIVELY ON MANX RADIO?

I have always thought that the main purpose of advertising, is to persuade someone to BUY your product. But, since Manx Tails is delivered FREE 'to every household on the Island', why do Mannin Media spend so money advertising their product on MR?

(I assume, of course, that Mannin Media DO pay for their advertising on MR, in the same way as the rest of us do!)

Why wouldn't Mannin Media pay for their advertising? They are a highly reputable local firm and my experience of them is very positive.

What are you implying?

Why wouldn't Mannin Media pay for their advertising? They are a highly reputable local firm and my experience of them is very positive.

What are you implying?

I think the question is - why do they need to advertise something which everyone gets free anyway? Maybe it's to try and stop people automatically chucking the f**king thing in the bin?

Lazy journalism from ignorant journalists.

And don't get me started on that rag Manx Tales...

What publication do you work for? Or which publications have you worked for?

Lazy comment from ignorant layman.

Glad you said that.

Jimcalagon, I think you're being a tad harsh. I used to do some work for the Manx Tails people and I can say that the 'rag' does not reflect the skills and best efforts of certain people involved in its production. But there are NO in-house writers/photographers/subs etc (except the editor, who is also practically the sole commercial copywriter) and only an extremely slender budget for contributors. By necessity, it's completely driven by advertising and of course that shows in the end result. But FFS, it's free - no-one's forcing you to read it, so just sit it on your shoulder and hopefully it'll balance out the chip.

Incidentally I think there may be not dissimilar factors at work at IOM Papers - not ignorant journos but tight budgets and far from rosy pay-packets. I know those factors don't necessarily preclude excellence but they don't help.

Also, never mind investigative journalism - the IOM being a small (and relatively affluent) community makes for a peculiar culture of criticism full-stop; to a certain extent, the Papers just reflect that. People are intensely opinionated down the pub and on forums (naturally) but by and large it doesn't translate into a politicised, questioning electorate - just an apathetic one.

I know you don't have to be Pele to know a good footballer when you see one blah blah but I do think that if your opinion isn't informed, then at least acknowledge that and...be nice? :unsure:

That is all!

But FFS, it's free - no-one's forcing you to read it, so just sit it on your shoulder and hopefully it'll balance out the chip.

My gripe with it is the fact that, apart from being about 80% adverts - the rest of the content is seemingly written by fully-paid up greenpeace members preaching about saving the environment or reducing your 'carbon footprint' (or deluded new-agers talking about whatever mumbo-jumbo is the current flavour of the month).

Here's a tip to help the environment and reduce the island's carbon footprint - don't print out 10,000 editions of Manx Tails every month as 75% of them go straight in the bin. It's a waste of resources and time and just adds to amount of stuff that has to be recycled. Glorified bloody junk mail.

Archived