Iom Newspapers' New Editor?

Declan

Incidentally I think there may be not dissimilar factors at work at IOM Papers - not ignorant journos but tight budgets and far from rosy pay-packets. I know those factors don't necessarily preclude excellence but they don't help.

Also, never mind investigative journalism - the IOM being a small (and relatively affluent) community makes for a peculiar culture of criticism full-stop; to a certain extent, the Papers just reflect that. People are intensely opinionated down the pub and on forums (naturally) but by and large it doesn't translate into a politicised, questioning electorate - just an apathetic one.

Minimal budgets are obviously a problem - which makes for tendency towards regurgitation of press releases rather than 'current affairs'. Stories can be overly-simplified and dumbed down e.g. 'Price of Petrol is not a Rip-Off'. Unfortunately such distortions happen in the press anywhere, but there is little in-depth coverage to redress that.

Do the papers reflect a culture of 'criticism full-stop' or do they engender that? Doesn't the media have a role to play in a democratic society - providing citizens with information to make informed choices and decisions and hold government accountable. If there is not a healthy media, then you are not going to have a politically engaged, informed and questioning electorate - or a particularly healthy democratic system.

If the media is fettered to such an extent - whether by budget, lack of skill, editorial control, ownership, gagging, or anything else - the end result is much the same: lack of democratic accountability and transparency.

Budgets may well be the key problem, possibly followed by a kind of apathy in the media in the sense of being resigned to being little more than low-cost local or regional papers and radio. If, for example, MR had a current affairs series with same budget and quality as done by BBC R4 - probing into issues like a Panorama - would this fail and not get an audience because of some "criticism full-stop culture" and lack of political engagement? Would it be against the public interest or positive?

If there is a need for this, and the media is not fulfilling what the BBC term the 'role for citizenship' then the next question is what to do about it. Being resigned to begrudging acceptance of these limitations only leads to remaining shortchanged in terms of the role the media should be playing in a healthy democratic system. Is IoM really too small and too poor to sustain the kind of media one expects in a democratic society? How much is paid in licence fees to the BBC, MR and to the UK as voluntary contribution towards defence and 'good government'? I think its fair to say that in being 'media-challenged' IoM is being shortchanged.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHY IS 'MANX TAILS' ADVERTISED SO EXTENSIVELY ON MANX RADIO?

Think you will find its a "contra" deal. But they have to raise a VAT receipt

Manx Radio needs the coverage more then Manx Tails needs to get on the radio as the mag turns up to most peoples houses regardless

Yeah - that is what I figured.

So we have to endure those nauseating adverts on our National Broadcaster, repeated over and over again ad tedium, (eg 'find out why Prescott is all Phelpsed-out in America' etc) so that MR can get advertising in MT!

The Manx Tales has a page or so of Cringly bit in it. I am sure that I have usually read it before, perhaps in the newspaper or was it in the Manx Airlines magazine, maybe heard from Manx Radio. Although Terry seems a decent enough chap and has been a successful reporter for over a 100 years, he doesn't really deserve the ubiquity (ubiquitousness?)

Although I enjoy listening to The History Mann on Manx Radio I can never quite tune in to all the mild smut and rather unfunny and doubtful play on words.

Didn't Manx Tales always have the same bloke writing about money, money, moeny and then there was a lawyer doing his slot too.

The magazine seems to be a self serving advertisement to a certain clickety click on the Island.

Although I like some of the pictures in it because they are in colour.

• 1 month later...

I see the previous editor of Isle of Man Newspapers, John Sherrocks, has been contributing to the extremely sumptuous and glossy Money Media magazine.

The latest edition has a full page by the former editor's wife Tessa. I was reading it in the Chinese and I was absolutely in hoots of laughter. I thought it was a very clever parody on Private Eye's female columnists Mary Ann Bighead (boastful of her two children Brainella (3) and Intelligencia (7), her high standard of living, her travels* etc. ) combined with Poly Filler.

Then it dawned on me there wasn't actually any irony or satire intended. Not even a hint. If you are in a dentist's waiting room or wherever, give it a read!

*taken from the wiki entry on Private Eye

WHY IS 'MANX TAILS' ADVERTISED SO EXTENSIVELY ON MANX RADIO?

Think you will find its a "contra" deal. But they have to raise a VAT receipt

Manx Radio needs the coverage more then Manx Tails needs to get on the radio as the mag turns up to most peoples houses regardless

The MR ad that really gets me going currently is the one they constantly run for the railways. Now these are clearly paid for by you and me as taxpayers - so why in November are we paying for ads that extrol the virtues of travelling by train when the railway shut down for the winter months ago and won't be open again until easter. Its a complete joke.

The MR ad that really gets me going currently is the one they constantly run for the railways. Now these are clearly paid for by you and me as taxpayers - so why in November are we paying for ads that extrol the virtues of travelling by train when the railway shut down for the winter months ago and won't be open again until easter. Its a complete joke.

Because the steam railway runs through December for the Santa train?

Because the steam railway runs through December for the Santa train?

From http://www.iombusandrail.info

Steam Railway - Operating 17th March to 2nd November 2008.

MER - Operating Daily 17th March to 28th September 2008.

The Santa Trains are one-offs

Archived