Pavillion Could Be A Waste Of Money

%age

Manx Radio Report

Nice to see Mr Corkish speaking out. He has a good point here though and I think there is a little more to this than meets the eye.

The ratepayers of Douglas should ask themselves a very simple question. Even bearing in mind part of a facility being available to the general ratepaying public, on a capital outlay of £2million, what would you expect back by way of annual rental income?

Typical Manx politician - a year after its finished he queries if the money has been spent wisely - bit late asking that question now.

He should be asking what revenue streams can be seen to recoup value and whether those streams are worth more than the value of the pavillion if it was sold.

I haven't heard anybody tell me why it was built there and for what purpose

My thoughts exactly. I believe it is meant to be a restaurant, but its either too expensive or not a suitable venue. Nice building though.

As a rate-payer it is fricking annoying seeing how they squander cash. Value for Money and their decisions are questionable.

I think the biggest waste of Douglas rate payers money is Douglas Corporation!

totally agree why do we need these numptys, island is small enough to have everything run by government and decentralise all this admin to parts of the island with less employment opportunities.

they had the Ducati display in there at TT and it was quite a small room, bandstand is another waste of money, and the crazy golf course has lost an awful lot of its craziness.

He told Manx Radio: "Had the facility been used I wouldn't have been concerned at all really, if people were getting a use out of it and it was serving a purpose.

"But after all this time, myself and other people are querying why it was built where it is, and for what purpose, and was there a business case for it?

MR state he said it was a waste of money, but I don't think he went that far - yet - at the moment asking what is the purpose and was there a business case. Seems sensible to me.

Now if it's not being used, rather than bemoan waste and look at selling it, wouldn't it be better first to consider how value for money might be obtained. Yoof centre? Corporate conferences and events? Adult education? Daycare creche? Other ideas? What would be needed to get it to work and what benefit. Otherwise it might just be sold off cheap to someone - which the cynical may wonder might have been the purpose in the first place.

Geoff who? Two years after the election, and a hefty £50K pa - is that the best he can come up with - well after the event?

What about the other millions being wasted Geoff, and all the manifesto promises you made about looking into them?

Quite right too Albert. I don't recall him saying anything in public to this point. What exactly is he doing with himself?

Geoff who? Two years after the election, and a hefty £50K pa - is that the best he can come up with - well after the event?

What about the other millions being wasted Geoff, and all the manifesto promises you made about looking into them?

Quite right too Albert. I don't recall him saying anything in public to this point. What exactly is he doing with himself?

Counting and rubbing his hands mostly, I'd imagine.

Counting and rubbing his hands mostly, I'd imagine.

Well it's an easier life than the Steam Packet I suppose. Couldn't go a day without hearing him on Manx Radio at times...

Archived