Pavillion Could Be A Waste Of Money

%age

It looks alright from the outside but there is already a cafe in the park and I'm not sure that there is call for a resturant there (especially one as expensive to rent as that one). No doubt they will get some inefficient 'sicknote' to run it, as they did with the cafe (open 3 out of 7 days in the summer, if you are lucky) or the Ices hut (anyone remember the woman who was generally drunk working there?) - out source as much as possible - then you can blame someone else. Lilly Livered land lubbers the lot of them, but, Keith Teare, is he still on the council? No wonder stupid things happen in Douglas Corporation.

Geoff who? Two years after the election, and a hefty £50K pa - is that the best he can come up with - well after the event?

What about the other millions being wasted Geoff, and all the manifesto promises you made about looking into them?

Quite right too Albert. I don't recall him saying anything in public to this point. What exactly is he doing with himself?

Counting and rubbing his hands mostly, I'd imagine.

Well it's an easier life than the Steam Packet I suppose. Couldn't go a day without hearing him on Manx Radio at times...

If he's spent a couple of years finding his way around the maze of Tynwald politics before shooting his mouth off, I think that's a very sensible approach. I seem to recall John Shimmin doing something very similar.

Now that he has a specific role to play, I would hope to hear a good deal from him.

His criticism of the possible waste of money on the Noble's Park Pavilion - and his statement a couple of weeks earlier that more resources ought be devoted to providing facilities for enjoyable indoor activities for both tourists and residents - are positive indicators that he could turn out to be a better than average representative.

His criticism of the possible waste of money on the Noble's Park Pavilion - and his statement a couple of weeks earlier that more resources ought be devoted to providing facilities for enjoyable indoor activities for both tourists and residents - are positive indicators that he could turn out to be a better than average representative.

If, as his statements above seem to show, he has a grasp of the bleeding obvious, then he is indeed a step ahead of most IOM Politicians. :)

Manx Radio Report

Nice to see Mr Corkish speaking out. He has a good point here though and I think there is a little more to this than meets the eye.

The ratepayers of Douglas should ask themselves a very simple question. Even bearing in mind part of a facility being available to the general ratepaying public, on a capital outlay of £2million, what would you expect back by way of annual rental income?

As a member of the tourist board Mr Corkish might possibly want to ask himself "why" the pavilion is empty?

Is he saying that we should not invest into infrastructure to improve tourist facilities, if there is a risk that they will lie empty because no tourists are coming here?

What is the exact legal position regarding this building? Unless things have changed, I’m sure that the corpy do not own Nobles park. Henry Bloom Noble left it to the children of Douglas as a recreational area. The corpy obviously have a large say in it, and are responsible for its upkeep, but surely the trusties of the HBN trust are the “owners”? Would imagine the Chancery court would have to rule on any potential sale of the building – possibly leasehold ?

John Wright will probably put me right on this.

He should be asking what revenue streams can be seen to recoup value and whether those streams are worth more than the value of the pavillion if it was sold.

Completely agree with you.

He could also ask how often their 'state of the art' facilities at the Strathallan Suite above the tramsheds on the promenade are used for conferences etc and how much revenue it brings in.

Archived