[BBC News] Cargo link back after two years

Newsbot

I worked at Speke mid to late 70's and flights carrying newspapers left around that time. Always thought they went to Ireland and can't remember any IOM flights - although I stand to be corrected on that.

It was great being on a night shift then - I got the Sporting Chronicle hours before most people!

there used to be a plane relatively low overflying the IoM late night in Belfast sort of direction and sometimes heard a return trip an hour or two later if I was still up, used to think it sounded like a Dakota.

...the unique position of our Island airport in the marketplace !

?

could you explain what you think is this unique position in the marketplace.

Unique in as much as a niche market serving a very limited resident population as distinct from being located in the UK with a catchment area only limited by the attractions of services to attract business. Whatever the wishes of the egos of those in charge you cannot alter geography, the first rule of any business is "Location Location Location". Realise this and achieve excellence with what is possible !

When I was a kid in Liverpool - 70s and 80s, there was a Douglas DC3 that used to fly directly over our house at about 1:00 am each night. I got the impression that this was a regular cargo flight to the IOM from Speke. Can anybody confirm this?

Martin Baker, the ejector seat makers, now Ronaldsway Aircraft used to have a DC3 which brought over the aluminium billet and exported the finished components

My father worked there briefly and once cadged a lift on the old Dakota

Archived