First 'euro Style' Id Cards

Cronky

“You are right, they would pay no tax” – No income tax. They would still pay VAT on any purchases they make in the country. Any money they spend would also be going in to the economy and supporting business – as well as supporting business through cheap labour. I also suspect the amounts they earn would keep them relatively near the income tax threshold and so probably wouldn’t be paying much anyway.

Dead on. Which is why I doubt that HMG considers combating illegal immigration is really such a big priority - if anything this provides an underclass of cheap labour generally below minimum wage rates.

am more concerned about the million/billionaire tax evaders who could be making a serious financial contribution to the system who instead register their addresses in Monaco and pay no income tax either.

Have to be careful in distinction between tax evasion and tax avoidance - bit sensitive around here ;) . From that it doesn't sound like the reason for your move is the £100,000 tax cap - not to worry - I'm sure you'll be made very welcome anyway, and will be genuinely so rather than just looking to your wallet.

:)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to be careful in distinction between tax evasion and tax avoidance - bit sensitive around here ;) . From that it doesn't sound like the reason for your move is the £100,000 tax cap - not to worry - I'm sure you'll be made very welcome anyway, and will be genuinely so rather than just looking to your wallet.

You are right I was talking about tax avoidance and tax evasion as the same thing - sorry.

I wouldn't mind earning enough to be paying £100,000 in tax though :)

Welcome LQQ hope you enjoy life here, don't take the forum replys to heart we are on the whole a bunch of moaning gits. :flowers:

Speak for yourself jimbms - I've progressed to a Gumpy Old Man and have the years to prove it! Welcome LQQ

“You are right, they would pay no tax” – No income tax. They would still pay VAT on any purchases they make in the country. Any money they spend would also be going in to the economy and supporting business – as well as supporting business through cheap labour. I also suspect the amounts they earn would keep them relatively near the income tax threshold and so probably wouldn’t be paying much anyway.

Dead on. Which is why I doubt that HMG considers combating illegal immigration is really such a big priority - if anything this provides an underclass of cheap labour generally below minimum wage rates.

I don't see your point though. Are you talking about some form of benevolence from the government, in that they are trying to change this 'underclass' situation. Or do you mean HMG needs to get everyone paying income tax?

Why do they cost £230? Are they secure? Current RFID (containing biometrics/what not) style implementations in other countries don't even required trusted CAs to sign, and have been duped. I'd be surprised if the UK's attempt is any-more secure, in which case they offer no more security than a 90p plastic one.

Archived